1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

America 'still conservative at its core'

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Nov 8, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

My grandchildren recieve AIC, and they certainly aren't going to hungry, they have plenty of food, and when they go to school they will qualify for free lunch, again those kids aren't going to ever go hungry. Some people who recieve these do have really hard times when it comes to food, but not many of them are going hungry.
    On the other hand they wouldn't be able to provide as well for the kids(grandchildren) if they didn't have WIC, but they still wouldn't go hungry. And I can safely say their yearly income is less then $25,000.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LB insisted that inttitelment programs went out to the starving. I was just showing that they go out far beyond the starving.Thats all

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

maybe it's just funny to me, and I have noticed others saying it, but maybe God doesn't want us to be "conservative"

I'm completely post-conservative at this point. I think the rabble rousing and marginalizing done by too many leaders in the Baptist circles has done more to harm the cause of Christ than promote it. We must stay at least fifty feet away from politics at all times...;)

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally agree with you. It seems to me that the far right movement of many Baptist, both leaders and others, have done much harm to the cause of Christ. Too many have confused their culture and politics with Christianity.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I agree with this, but think you are an example of it. You thought that a Christian could support the policies of the present culture as manifested in Obama, and in so doing have done great harm to the cause of Christ. This happens on the left as with you as well as the right.

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where have I said that I support Obama's policies or did not support them. I do not know what they are yet as he is not in office and his policies have not been presented. Once I have a good idea of them, once they are presented, then I can comment on them. I am not a prophet.

Also I am not sure what you mean by "policies of the present culture." Can you enlighten me on this comment?

I do believe we, as Christians, are called on to help the poor, the homeless, the sick, etc. Should the government be involved in these efforts? Only if the churches do not do their job in this area and the church is not doing its job IMHP. I would rather the churches and Christians fulfilled all these efforts. There are a variety of reasons I say this.

Blessings.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you saying that many have refused to share their faith or are lazy and relied on their government to change the world?

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I do not think America is conservitive at it's core. I think to many good Christians do not move out of their little world and see what is going on.

Go into the average truck stop in this country and listen to what is being said, or a construction sight, or a port, or a rail yard, or listen to many of our police when they are talking and many other places.

The main thing is greed of everyone. I will list a few of the things I hear everyday as to if we are conservitive or not.

1. She looks good, love to have her for a night. Greed, doing what I want and not caring for the other or others.
    2. I don't feel good right now, must have drank to much last night. Greed, doing what they wanted and not caring about their job or others.
    3. My child support is to much, I'm going to get a lower paying job and go back to court and get my child support lower. Greed, not want to pay for their child that they fathered, thinking only of self.
    4. If the government gave more to these mothers the children would be better off and they would leave the fathers along. Greed, Its all about me.
    5. My boss don't care about me and he is always paid to much. Greed, he's jealous.
    6. My in laws are always talking about church. I don't want anyone telling me what to do, or you would have to be nuts to believe in God.

So many folks live their life as life is shown on TV, for self and do all you can. I don't think we have been very conservitive in my life time. Once that many folks turned to the government for help, the family or God wasn't needed in the eyes of many.

So many jobs folk have and move up from isn't on quality of work but time on the job and at times race and gender. Quality is the way to move up in anything. Look at sports team for one and it can be seen quickly.

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. What I am saying is that too often we confuse our agenda with God's agenda. We confuse our culture as being a Christian culture, one that Christ would be comfortable living in instead of seeing that what Christ taught is often counter to our own culture. We demonize our opponents in an effort to make ourselves feel better and to score political or theological points.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You seemed pretty vocal in support of Obama in the politics forum. Are you saying you voted out of ignorance about what you were supporting?

I can try but I am not sure what I meant by that either. I think my point was about supporting the policies of Obama. If you have a better explanation of it, let me know, because I honestly don't remember why I put it that way.

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listen to both sides in a campaign, but I do not take what they say they will do as gospel. They are trying to win a campaign and all too often that means they are saying what they believe the voters want to hear. We all vote out of some ignorance because we do not now what the circumstances of the next for years will bring that may force a president one way or another.

I did not decide to vote for Obama until after he picked Palin and after I did some research on her. I decided that I could not support someone I felt would be a total disaster if she became president.

My main concern with McCain was that his stated ideas on foreign affairs were too to the right, not in line with traditional American values. I believe the Republican party has gone too far to the right and this cost them many votes.

Too far to the left and you have a dictatorship .... to far to the right and you have despotism. I pray we stay near the middle.

My primary concern with Obama was his lack of experience. However in his favor was how well he ran his campaign. That indicated to me that he is a pretty good manager. Time will tell if this carries over into his presidency. I hope it does.

Regardless of who won I would pray for them and hope they did a good job.

I do not dislike either man. As I have said before I think Palin would be a great friend, the life of any party ... but that does not mean she would be a good president.

I'll have to think, or is it sleep, on this one. :sleeping_2:

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not think it is rally a confusion, so much as fear of the world disguised as fear as rationalism. Demonization is just an effort to stir up fear but appearing as boldness.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We must remember who who it was who initially supported Hitler.