1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

American Girl alternative enjoys sales boost amidst boycott

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jan 6, 2006.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I have an 11 yr. old daughter that loves to read the American Girl series as well as the
    Life of Faith series. We really like the fact that you can get a workbook that comes with the LOF that is pretty good.
    My daughter knows nothing of the American Girl controversy and I'm not going to tell her. It looks like the company pulled out with their deal with Girls Inc. so that is good.
    I have looked at all the AG series and to tell ya the truth they may not be christian but they sure are pretty traditional and wholesome.
    It is kind of irritating that they try to push some agenda though. It is really weird in a way.
    All the girls in the AG are from early 1900's victorian or pioneer or western kind of themes.
    I just think its funny. Girls in those days wouldn't think of such rubbish as the AG people were trying to connect with. Oh well such is the world we live in.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Gb, I also meant to thank you for the article. While I don't have much of an opinion on the controversy, since AG is now owned by MATTEL, I appreciated finding out about the LOF dolls. I've already ordered a catalog to show my girls.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I have not heard of that.
    I bought my girls the "American Girl" series, and the books were enjoyed.
    We also owned the "Elsie" series of books, which this alternative series is supposably from?
    Dunno. I never heard of the American Girls controversy, or noted that they had anything unChristian in them. They just seemed like good old fashioned stories, we had them up there with Elsie and the Little House books.

5. KCLorelei

KCLorelei New Member

Like Shannon, I'm aware of the past problem with the American Girl company but haven't told my daughters, who absolutely love the dolls and books.

Thanks for making me aware of an alternative to the AG series, I've been looking for something like the LOF books. [​IMG]