1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

American Turning Point

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by queenbee, Mar 29, 2008.

1. queenbee

queenbee Member

I was going to post this in Politics or News/Events, however, I think it'll reach a greater audience in this forum. There is a terrific article in today's Globe & Mail
    (Canada's National Newspaper) that I think every American needs to read. The author, Jeffrey Simpson (American) has done his homework - don't worry, it's a rationale and well-thought-out article. There is an opportunity to join in a poll/discussion with Jeffrey on this essay and US politics on Monday at 11 am EST.

Here’s the link…(copy and paste)

www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080328.wcoessay0329/BNStory/specialComment/home

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He says "Today, according to Pew Center polls, 70 per cent of Americans are dissatisfied with the direction of the country." yet says "Americans seem to have lost control of their ability to make decisions that will produce satisfactory results.

"That seems to show a basic misunderstanding. Americans seems to say all of us while 70 percent disagree with the way things are going.

When he uses "Americans," he would have better used the "American government" and then pointed out the dissatisfaction of the people with their government.

He should not assume the people are the govenrment even though we happen to elect it - it seems to keep doing its own thing when they know the people don't want them to so we vote some out and others in and all goes the same and seldom changes.

He continues his misunderstanding when he says "Immigration has become a huge and emotional issue." It is not immigration that is the huge problem, it is illegals that have swarmed in across those uncontrolled borders he mentioned.

All in all he seems to be someone that thinks he knows a lot about the situation but can't figure out if it is the people or the governement, and anyway why does what we do bother him?

He seems to nail it however when he says "Barack Obama's remarkable appeal is based on the hope that he can, through the charisma of his personality, the force of his rhetoric, and the novelty of his resumé, cut through the gridlock in Washington, loosen the grip of special interests, make government "work again," and restore faith and trust."

"Mr. Obama articulates the hope that Americans can take back control of their destiny by being more respected abroad and more unified at home, to shrink social deficits, transcend the divisions of race, join the struggle against climate change, and use government again as a way of solving problems rather than consider the institution as the country's biggest problem."

Again I think he misunderstands, I think we want to take back control of our out of control government.

Of course as always my personal opinion which I am sure will not be shared by all :tonofbricks: