1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Example of My Growing Disappointment with NIV2011

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still use my old NIV....works for me.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Believ that Niv fine version, just happen tp use and prefer nasv/Esv, and the Greek !

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ive known 3 bibles in my life.....RC Version, then NIV (tons of notes in that) & then New KJ...I hate old english text. Why this E Version (ESV) see reformed people using it....whats the deal or is there one?

4. JesusFan

Yes sir, actually prefer it to either TNIV/NIV 2011 for reading/studying from!

5. God's_Servant

God's_Servant New Member

I think that Crossway has worked very hard to endear themselves to Reformed people. They publish a lot of books from the Reformed perspective and the ESV Study Bible definitely leans Reformed.

6. JesusFan

Now if they can just publish the ESV in a baptist study bible !

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In what particular flavor of Baptist?

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's biblish gone WILD!

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good,then the 2011 NIV will not be much of an adjustment to make!

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblish gone WILD! Congers up nonsensical images I will just keep to myself. You speak in riddles to me.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They sure have come a long way from publishing those Frank Peretti fantasies.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good question.

13. JesusFan

You mean that we baptists have more than 1 flavor?

Could have The ESV Study Bible for reformed And ESV baptist for those who take DoG But have more "Baptist" view on other doctrines!

14. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    McArthur Study Bible ESV. Although it is my opinion that the NASB is better than the ESV, and hence the McArthur SB in NASB is the one to get if you can only own one. Persoanlly, I would get an ESV McArthur if it were not for the fact I have enough Bibles in my collection for now.

It would appear that the publicity campagn that crossways is fighting on behalf of the ESV and the fumbles of Zondervan on behalf of the NIV is starting make hay for Crossways*. I do think that the 1984 NIV is a great translation and Zondervan, compared to Crossways and Thomas Nelson produce a noticeably higher quality binding although I would rank Crossways better than Thomas Nelson. Case in point; I have an ESV traditional reference Bible in Genuine Leather that retails for $89.00 I got if for much less but still, the actual care taken to produce the American made ESV is lower than the China binding NIV thinline I use with a bonded leather cover.

*The sales figures as of Aug 2011 still have the NIV at the top of the charts, where it has been for years. The ESV is ranked 5th, up from I think 7th this time last year. The Holman is right behind the ESV at #6. The KJV, The NKJV and the NLT also outsell the ESV

#34 thomas15, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
  15. JesusFan

Been tempted to order ESV Ryrie bible, as my NASV Ryrie still going strong after 25 years! Moroccean leather special order Moody press don't think even available in that binding today!

Wife still has her Cowhide leather NIV study bible 10 th edition purchased back in 1995!

Guess worth it to buy high grade leather!

16. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree 100%

Not to stray too far off topic...

I don't know about the Ryrie ESV but my good friend/pastor has a McArthur ESV in one of those embossed immitation covers. On his, the Bible itself is glued not sewn. I think but wouldn't want to say for sure but I'm fairly certain that the Ryrie/Moody press is glued. I have an NIV Ryrie updated version in HC and it is glued. It isn't the material that the cover is made out of as much as it is how the pages are attached to the make the binding that effects how the pages lay when reading and how long the pages stay attached to the binding. I have a King James SB genuine leather but the pages are glued not sewn and thus the pages don't lay flat and they are loose after very little use. Even my NKJV (Thomas Nelson) which is both sewn and glued relys too much on the glue so it doesn't properly lay flat.

Like your wife, I have a NIV SB that I bought in 1988 or 1989. It is top grain leather, symth sewn and it has been my primary Bible up until about 2 years ago. I think it cost then about $55.00 at the time that was for me a ton of money. With the exception of 1 or 2 torn pages it is still in great shape, I still use it a little today but I have moved on to another Bible but not due to the condition of my 20+ year old NIV SB. If only they still made it exactly the same I would get another one.

I have approx 35 study bibles these days. A few are collectors items. I have gravitated away from study bibles though. The McArthur and NIV are the two I use the most when I'm studying a particular passage.

The ESV reference bible I mentioned earlier that I have will not lay flat like it should. Again, this Bible lists for $89.00. A real shame. I have an NIV text only edition in what is called Renaissance Leather which while a little thin but feels great in the hand.

The best deal (in my exhaustive search) short of an Allen or Cambridge costing $150.00+ is the NASB UD Thinline Reference Bible published by Foundation. It is symth sewn, genuine leather. You can find it for less than $35.00 online, I paid $32.00 w/free shipping for mine. The actual cover is a little stiff but after a break-in period and conditioning with lexol, the pages are tight, hinge loose, the paper is a little thin but thicker than the NIV reference, the font is a little small but very clear, typeface is a consistant color. It still looks brand new after daily use for over a year. It is almost a perfect Bible and hand's down it is the best I've seen at the less than $125.00 price point. It is a joy to read and hold... btw, I have over 100 Bibles in my collection and this is the one I read every day.

#36 thomas15, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
  17. JesusFan

Have read that Lockman publishers of Nasv, make very good leather bibles, diito Thompson Chain Kirkbride, IF you get them in real leather! Both are Smyth Sown

18. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of what you say is true. When I was searching for a good quality leather Bible (ended up with about 5 or 6 of them), the thompson chain was on the list. Sewn binding but I have a TC in NIV hard cover and the print quality is inconsistant and I didn't need another with the TC notes. The Lockman published was on the list also but I found the Foundation at a much lower price. I bought a Oxford Scofield also just basically for the binding.

BYW, I also have a Zondervan NASB premium edition. It is nice but not nearly as nice as the Foundation edition I speak of. I'm just giving my opinions, not that I have to have an answer for everything.

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If I were ever to choose between the Ryrie and the MacArthur study, I will go with the MacArthur's. (I have both, the Ryrie in NIV and MacArthur in the NASB)

20. JesusFan

2 Bibles wish still had were a master study bible NSV in Calfskin, and an original open bible NASV genuine leather bound!