1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Odd Rendering In The ISV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recently ran a thread about the dependence that the ISV translation has had on the GW translation. The ISV foundation makes no such admission.In this particular thread there is no such dependence regarding the passage I will address.

I will cite the readings of five translations -- then I will provide the rendering of the ISV.The verse is Hebrews 4:13.

NLTse : Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.

TNIV : Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

NET Bible : And no creature is hidden from God, but everything is naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must render account.

HCSB : No creature is hidden from Him, but all things are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

GW : No creature can hide from God. Everything is uncovered and exposed for him to see. We must answer to him.

Now here is the ISV : No creature can hide from him, but all are naked and helpless before the eyes of the one to whom we must give a word of explanation.

"A word of explanation"! That's rather weak. On that Day we quite likely will not say anything. We are accountable to Him -- but to say that we will "give a word of explanation" just doesn't do justice to the import of the passage.

"Your honor, if it pleases the court. In my defense, I would like to give a word of explanation."

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

This seems like it is a difficult passage to interpret into English; not that the Greek is difficult to actually translate. The last few words of the Greek are "auton pros hos hemin ho logos" which is literally "of-Him with/toward which/whom we/us the word/saying". Does the KJV clear it up for you? --
    Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things [are] naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
    The person's eyes (or sight) being described by the phrase "whom we have to do" is the Lord. I think it would be fair to paraphrase the phrase as "to whom we must give a verbal account".

#2 franklinmonroe, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009