1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anachronisms

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by natters, Feb 16, 2005.

1. natters

natters New Member

I'm looking for examples of anachronisms (items or events that didn't yet exist in the context in which they appear) in the KJV and other translations. Some I'm aware of:

- brass (Deut 8:9, KJV and others)
    - Easter (Acts 12:4, KJV and others)
    - duke (Gen 36:15-43, 1 Chron 1:51-54)
    - penny/farthing/pound (various places in the Gospels in the KJV)
    - organ (Job 21:12)

Note that I don't think an anachronism is necessarily an "error", but they are usually examples of dynamic equivalency.

Can you think of any others, from any version?

2. KeithS

KeithS New Member

As stated in another thread - the KJV (probably many versions) use place names prior to their physical existence. The example in that thread was the use of "Dan" in describing a city or territory that did not exist for the people in the story (but did exist for the writer and readers of the text). I would have to get back to you with specific passages, but as I recall from my OT classes there are several.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sackbut(medieval trombone) and several other musical instruments. I cannot find a lotta fault with these being written in the KJV, since the names of the actual instruments woulda been meaningless to most of the people then, as they would be now. In my younger days I thought a shofar was someone paid to drive a VIP's car. The AV men used the names of the then-current instruments that most closely resembled the ancient ones named in Scripture.

4. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other good example is "steel." In his 1535 Bible, Miles Coverdale introduced the rendering "steel" in several O. T. verses.
    Coverdale's has "steel" at 1 Samuel 17:6 which is revised to "brass" in other early English Bibles.

The KJV has four such uses of "steel" that may be kept from Coverdale (2 Sam. 22:35, Job 20:24, Ps. 18:34, Jer. 15:12). The Geneva Bible has "brass" at 2 Samuel 22:35, Psalm 18:34, and Jeremiah 15:12, but it overlooked or left "steel" at Job 20:24.

Another example of "organ" is Job 30:31 where the KJV has "organ," but the 1535 Coverdale's has "pipe."

Would the KJV's "artillery" at 1 Samuel 20:40 possibly be another example? Coverdale's, Matthew's, Great Bibles have "weapons" while the Geneva has "bows and arrows."