1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

And Thy House

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by TWade, Feb 23, 2004.

1. TWade

TWade New Member

I was reading in Genesis last evening and I read of how Noah is referred to as being "a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God." (Gen 6:9) I read of how Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. This grace that God shed upon Noah was that, not only would Noah be saved from the flood, but his family as well.

Was this an of grace toward Noah for Noah's sake because he was "just" and walked with God? Would the family had been saved if Noah was not "just" in the eyes of the LORD?

Acts 11:13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
    14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

And:

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
    31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

My question is, is there a connection here? Was there ever, or is there now, the belief that salvation is given to a man and his family as a (for lack of a better word as I'm typing) unit? What are the implications of the passages I've noted? I am just beginning to think on this and would like some imput from differing views.

Thanks!

2. Singer

Singer New Member

TWade,

It was suggested to me years ago that by the master of the house exercising faith in Jesus Christ, that there would be high incidence of instilling that same faith in one's children.

Therefore "and thy house" could include anyone in the master's influence. It is not automatic of course and each individual has to make their choice to accept the gospel or reject it.

This compares with the scripture "bring up your children in the ways of the Lord and when thy get old they will not depart from it".

Singer

3. TWade

TWade New Member

Thanks for your reply, Singer.

I understand that in the same account with the jailor that the word was preached both to him and his house and that they believed, but I still wonder why the scripture says "thou shalt be saved and thy house." It's as if there are some other implications here and I am wondering what others think.

4. Singer

Singer New Member

Rest assured that saving "thy house" is not as literal as some believe the bread and wine to be the body of Jesus whereas he said whosoever does not eat his body and drink his blood; there will be no salvation.

Saving "thy house" surely not mean that our place of residence would end up with us in heaven.....of course you knew that.
    [​IMG]

Singer