1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Andy Stanley

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 14, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets look at the evidences and not just a opinion please.

Page 172 Captured by Grace

Grace wants to usher us toward a new life, one of purity and righteousness..

Page 174

Grace teaches us to Rule self.. In our new life in the Masters house, we will want to deny "ungodliness and worldly lust."

Likewise in his Book God Loves you he has a chapter called God Love changes everything. This clearly communicated that those that are born again are a new creation (2 Cor 5:17).

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yes, continue to be objective just like above. This in itself is a solid foundation.

Continue to reject the snide and pejorative remarks of opponents toward those who reject their conclusions -- and be an example of truth as you have been uop until this point.

Some are to be avoided. Use your good judgment.

Keep and defend the faith.

:thumbs:

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Evangelist,

Most in here know I'm not a big fan of Andy or any other seeker friendly preacher. Don't get all worried about those who bash you for exposing the truth on preachers who appear to love men more than God. Stanley has said many things from the pulpit that should make everyone in here question his position in the pulpit. There is nothing wrong with standing up for the truth, but expect the bashing in here. Gotta have thick skin brother. :thumbs:

4. SolaSaint

Can a person not repent and be saved?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Depends how you define repent. If its the false view of needing to turn from sin to be saved (a spiritual impossibility for those not in Christ), I will fight that other gospel at every turn.

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is you take the persons methodology in "doing church" and spread that over every doctrine they believe and teach. Thats the only bashing going on. What we are doing is defending. That being said, I'm not a big fan of the seeker movement...but I know the difference.

8. SolaSaint

dog it is ok to defend Stanley but wow I think I would really check in to his unbiblical stances before you go on. Just some advice. And really you stand up for Andy Stanley and bash Ray Comfort. I cannot understand that brother.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like I said prior, I've heard many of Andy's sermons, and nothing concerned me. I dont look at sites trying to find dirt on people, most which have an agenda and context lift. While Ive enjoyed WOTM shows, Ive heard the stance on Comforts view on repentance, and vehemently disagree.

10. SolaSaint

Comfort doesn't believe in the Seeker Friendly approach of "God has a wonderful plan for your life" but he does present people with the Law of God and how they have offended God. Is that where you differ with him?

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

What exactly is "seeker friendly"? Is it a church which opens its doors to sinners? If so, count me in.

12. SolaSaint

IMO a Seeker Friendly church can be just what you said and I'm for that but what I have seen all to often is a church uses this method and fails to please God in favor of pleasing men. I think there can be healthy seeker churches and should be, but many follow the Andy Stanley's and become men pleasers.

13. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

From the article I provided a link to in post #35, that you appreciated in post #38.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I differ with him concerning his understanding of repentance, what I touched on earlier.

#74 webdog, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  15. quantumfaith

And I just don't get what you are wishing to imply. I don't seem to have any problem with what you have shared.

16. SolaSaint

I have read a lot of Comforts books and sermons and he does preach that one must repent to be saved and so does the scriptures. He doesn't believe in the watered down preaching we see from many churches where you just add Jesus and the result is no change in the individual. No new life, not born again. He is worried as I am that many pull goats into the churches today and have them repeat a sinner's prayer without explaining how they are lost in the first place. I'm not saying someone cannot get saved that way but the proof is in how many fall away. Our churches are full of many who have made false professions IMO. God help us.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Turning from sin for salvation is not biblical repentance. Turning to Christ to be freed from sin is. Comfort teaches the former.

18. quantumfaith

Webdog, do you think that many people "turn from sin" without turning to Christ? Guess I have never thought of that or framed it that way. BTW, I know nothing about Comfort.

19. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Bible repentance means a turning to God and a change of mind toward God that results in a change of life.

Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

In order to turn to God, doesn't a sinner need to turn from something else?

1 Thessalonians 1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

20. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks brother.. Wheh I am tired as I just got back from out witnessing at a major event in this city. I passed out dozens of tracts, placed them on cars, etc... But what was depressing about all this is the hour chat I had with a hyper Charismatic named Joe. Joe did say good things, except his theology was clearly WOF. Joe praised Osteen, Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyers, Smith Wiggleworth, and other false teachers. He claimed I was trying to find fault in others and why I did not like WOF types. Joe I believe was a FALSE CONVERT as it seemed he had a overemphasis on works. Joe said that God would look at people whom did good works for him on this earth and their position in heaven will be better. While the judgment of rewards this is true, the PROBLEM was that Joe said that Mormons and JW's would not be judged as harshly as Christians that did not do good works. Thats a completely false gospel! Joe had little emphasis on Jesus being the only way to salvation (Jn 14:6), and man REPENTING of sin. Joe said that spirit filled Christians spoke in tongues, etc.. While Joe did not hold to baptismal regeneration, his theology was false.

He had allot of negative things to say about Hanagraaf, MacArthur, and also Charles Stanley. Joe was clearly a 5 point Arminian and believed he could lose his salvation if his works and good deeds were not mature. WHAT A FALSE GOSPEL!!! I pray for people like Joe. My oh my..

#80 evangelist6589, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013