1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Animal vs. Buddy Rich

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by corndogggy, May 8, 2009.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have several albums Buddy Rich made with Gene Krupa (my favorite drummer) and they're really fantastic. I'm sure they're out of print, now.

Although it was rumored that they were constantly feuding, most likely to Krupa's bouts with mental illness and drug addiction, they were very close friends in real life and Krupa once remarked that his sole ambition in life was to keep up with Buddy Rich.

I also remember when Rich would appear on the Tonight Show and Johnny would play with him. Carson was actually a very talented jazz drummer and sat in with Doc Severinson's band quite often in Las Vegas. Rich was somewhat of a mentor to him.

Heard once that animal was loosely based on Keith Moon.

3. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    (From my corner, curled up in a fetal position)....

When I was about 9-10 the church my mother attended was 'blessed' by a Pastor that was almost cult like in his fundamentalism..I call it fundamentalism because I can't think of a stronger word.

He announced an Album/Book burning to rid the congregation of 'Satanic Influence'... My Muppetts album had to go, to much Satan Worship..."just look at that Animal character, its clear he is on drugs". My Snoopy stuffed animal had to go to. Basically if it wasn't 100% Bible based it was fair game.

It didn't work.... I fear I'm totally corrupted.
    Animal Rocks! :D :D :D

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, just picked up a copy of "Rich Versus Roach", featuring Buddy Rich and Hal Roach, which is just outstanding. Can't recommend it enough.

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I too remember Buddy Rich on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

He was always amazing.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Buddy Rich was the best drummer that ever lived...ever.

This is a great, and fun, clip. I'm a HUGE Rich fan. I've got most of his albums and epic drum battles. It was too bad that we could never hear Rich and Krupa go at it during Krupa's heyday. During one of their battles it was pretty clear that Rich held back out of respect. They were (in their varying times) titans of the jazz world.

Animal, well he's just fun. I love the Muppets.