1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Animals and souls!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by bruren777, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I have a Maltese who is pushing 17 years old. Every day when I come home, the first thing I do is check his pulse (how sad is that???). All he has energy to do these days is eat and sleep.

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I agree with the quote from Adrian Rogers but I am still having a little difficulty with it as far as being FIRMLY convinced. Here's why.

From Strong's: The English word is "soul" (from I Thess 5:23)

G5590
    ψυχή
    psuchē
    psoo-khay'
    From G5594; breath, that is, (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; thus distinguished on the one hand from G4151, which is the rational and immortal soul; and on the other from G2222, which is mere vitality, even of plants: these terms thus exactly correspond respectively to the Hebrew [H5315], [H7307] and [H2416]: - heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.

From Strong's: The English word is "spirit" (from I Thess 5:23)

G4151
    πνεῦμα
    pneuma
    pnyoo'-mah
    From G4154; a current of air, that is, breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively a spirit, that is, (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, daemon, or (divine) God, Christ’s spirit, the Holy spirit: - ghost, life, spirit (-ual, -ually), mind. Compare G5590.

They both use "breath" and "spirit" in their definitions. The definition for "soul/psuche" says that "spirit/pneuma" is the immortal soul??? Preachers, authors, evangelists, teachers, and nearly every other Christian will transpose those words whenever they take a notion and therefore render the distinction virtually nonexistent.

How is a person to understand the different words (mind, soul, spirit, heart, understanding) if the very definitions themselves, and those responsible for teaching these things, cannot clearly distinguish them?

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Ken,

I am sorry for the loss your family went through. I know it hurts.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Personally, I think the majority of the animals I know have purer souls than the majority of the people I know.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, TexasSky.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Heaven is by favor; if it were by merit your dog would go in and you would stay
    out." - Mark Twain

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How true. So then, since God's grace alone saves us, who's to say God's grace will not extend to animals, expecially if there is no mention in the Bible one way or the other?

8. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

The more people I meet, the better I like my dog. [​IMG]

Doesn't the Bible say that God takes care of the sparrows?

In Genesis, the animals were made before man, AND He made animals of every kind and brought them to Adam before He made the woman (how humiliating is THAT?)

The animals were made for our pleasure...to clothe us, feed us and give us comfort. No, we will not need animals in heaven, but we won't need food, either...but there will be fruit tree up there.

I don't think it's going to matter one way or another, actually. God knows what we're going to want and need in Heaven, and those we don't need, we won't miss. I believe we're going to be so mesmerized by God's glory that we won't notice if there are animals or not.

Ken, knowing what it's like to lose a pet, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I lost two pets this year. I found my parakeet at the bottom of his cage only minutes before I was leaving out of town to visit my mother in the hospital recovering from a heart attack. He appeared sick the night before, so this wasn't quite as shocking (also since my mother was my main concern at the time). The shocker was finding my last living parakeet floating face down in the toilet. I had a very difficult time getting over that because he was such a loving bird.

I lost a dog ten years ago and THAT was hard. I didn't think I'd get over it. I thought I would never get another dog, but found myself going out the next week for one. Nothing could replace my first dog, but I depended on her emotionally. I had to get a second dog, and I love him to death.

You won't be able to replace your pet, but it may help ease the pain if you considered getting another one. But, it's your decision, of course. Everyone deals with grief their own way. I'll be praying for you and your family.

9. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

JohnV & Dianne,
    This was the whole basis of my reason to start this thread. I believe God will have animals in Heaven, maybe not our departed pets, I sure hope so. I grow attached to them and in our later years as our son's are raising their own families we spoil the pet. In our case neither of our sons live in town, the closest is 3 hours by ferry and car, he and his wife have two daughters.

Our other son lives about 2-3 days drive, he and his wife have son and daughter.

So we don't get to see our grandchildren as often as we like so our dog gets a lot of attention and she is spoiled rotten. [​IMG] :cool: :D [​IMG]

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ecclesiastes 3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think the last thing we're going to be concerned about in Heaven is our pets. We're going to be too busy enjoying the comfort of Jesus' bosom.

As far as animals in heaven mentioned in scripture, the simple fact is that much of what is written about heaven is allegorical. Will heaven literally be paved with streets of gold? THe symbolic nature of these verses becomes clear when we realize that we won't have feet to walk those streets.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another thought. Sin separates all men from God. From birth we are born with a sin nature. The Bible mentions "all creation" groans due to man's sin, which includes their bodily deaths. The Bible does not mention animals sinning, therefore is it possible that they were created, and are born still today NOT separated from God?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think the last thing we're going to be concerned about in Heaven is our pets. We're going to be too busy enjoying the comfort of Jesus' bosom.

As far as animals in heaven mentioned in scripture, the simple fact is that much of what is written about heaven is allegorical. Will heaven literally be paved with streets of gold? THe symbolic nature of these verses becomes clear when we realize that we won't have feet to walk those streets.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Why is it allegorical? Couldn't it also be literal? Who says we won't have feet to walk with? Didn't Jesus have feet during His assension? When the Bible mentions a "new earth", why do we have any reason to believe it won't be just that, earth but totally renewed and perfect? The same with a "new jerusalem". When you think of a city, doesn't it have roads and buildings? When God created earth He declared it "good". Sin is what makes it "not so good". For God to start fresh with another realm would be an admission that earth was never really "good" to begin with. I think part of the problem is man thinks we will be floating on the clouds strumming harps. To think this is denying the bodily resurrection, and the need for it.