1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anne Rice (yeah, she of vampire fame)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by queenbee, Mar 22, 2008.

1. queenbee

queenbee Member

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So did she write the Vampire Chronicles while she was backslidden? If so, that just goes to show how far a child of God truly can fall.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

No she wrote those before her conversion. She has a fictional book about the childhood of Jesus and I believe she talks about her conversion in that book. I have a church member that read this book and was impressed by her change.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Shee keeps mentioning "when faith came back to me". I'm not real sure what that means :confused:

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

keep in mind that not every Christian is going to express their conversion the exact same way you and I might. Just because we have different expressions of the same faith, does not invalidate those different expressions. :)

Anne recently converted to Christianity and has written several books, while also allowing Christianity to gain credibility with many of her (former) disenfranchised readers.

6. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I am amazed at this! I had no idea she had left her atheism behind!

Did anyone take the time to read some of the posted reader responses at the end of her article? Some of them are truly scary. One poster posted under the name of "Legion" and went into a very long discourse "disproving" God....I quit reading part way in when I realized what was being written. Many of the other comments were hateful, unkind, and downright sad (because of their lack of faith). It DID take some "nerve" to go so public with her faith--she WILL face ridicule because of her past and the peer group she came out of. It would seem, though, that she is quite happy to face it! Praise God for that testimony! :godisgood:

7. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Since Anne's conversion (or reversion perhaps--she grew up in a strict Catholic household and abandoned the faith during her college years), she has written two books.

1. Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt. This is about the childhood of Jesus from birth to age 12. It is narrated from the perspective of Jesus, in the first person singular. This book has a fairly detailed epilogue in which Anne describes her spiritual journey from atheism to devout believer that amounts to one of the best Christian testimonies I have ever read.

2. Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana. This is about the period in Jesus' life from shortly before his public ministry to the wedding feast at Cana. This book has been out less than a month. In both books, Anne attempts to remain true to the gospels in her story and for the most part succeeds in this.

I would say both these books are a good read for anyone wanting to understand the times and culture in which Jesus lived, which is the author's stated goal. They are not particularly strong as evangelical tools.

8. queenbee

queenbee Member

I was actually surfing Google for news and her article popped up on the 'front' page. Talk about surprised! I did read the article and have to agree with you. I too, had no idea she was a former atheist, but what a wonderful testimony! And yes, it was painful to read some of the most unkind, spiteful, and dirty comments I've read in a long time. Took guts that's for sure to witness knowing you were probably going to get publically spit on by quite a few. I'm just grateful that her witness made me stop and appreciate God's sacrifice all the more this Easter.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

It was good to read that. God saves sinners! Hallelujah! Even if she is "reverting" back to Catholicism, her testimony of salvation sounds genuine. Let's pray that God will lead her to a Bible-Based Church.

#9 J.D., Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
  10. standingfirminChrist

Review of Christ the Lord:Out of Egypt from Amazon. com:
    Hopefully she wrote this junk before her conversion. If not, I would question her conversion.

The Bible is silent on those years before Christ was twelve years of age and after that age it is silent until He is about twenty-nine years of age.

Where is she getting this extra-biblical information?

Jesus killed a boy who bullied Him? He did not know He was Savior?

The book is trash with a capital T.

11. standingfirminChrist

Review of Christ the Lord:The Road to Cana from Amazon. com:

It is amazing what people will do to sell a story. More unbiblical writings that people are praising her for?

They'd best read the Word of God and leave these books alone.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    more from this link

I think her conversion is sincere. Of course, no one knows His own but God.

But it takes courage, borne of the Spirit, for someone to admit that what she/he has been known for, what she/he has championed all her/his adult life, is after all, a facade, as she has done, in print.

As for the criticisms ?

What can one expect from the world anyway ?

They hail someone as courageous, heroic, honest, when someone comes out of his/her "closet" to declare himself a sodomite, or herself a lesbian.
    But, of course, these belong to them.

Those of Christ do not.

The sad thing is when those who belong to Christ put down one or others who declare a faith and trust in Christ, give or take a wrong theology on the declarant.

I suppose those who are critical of this lady knows how to click on the "contact" link and share their "vast knowledge" of "theology" to this lady ?

After all, that's why the Lord sent out His apostles, right ?

To make disciples of all men, whether those men or women, were former atheists ?

13. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

My goodness! Whatever happened to spiritual discernment? Righteous judgment? I have read the "excerpt" from that link (Christ the Lord: the Road to Cana), which was given in the OP. If this is supposed to be based on the Gospel, it sure is way off the wall. IMO, it is deceptive, or just simply heretical.

NOTE:It is Anne Rice's writing from which I am discerning and making righteous judgment....not the person.

#13 Linda64, Mar 23, 2008
  14. standingfirminChrist

According to AnneRice.com, Out of Egypt was released in 2006. Road to Cana was released just this month.

She states her conversion was in 1998. Some of her 'Vampire Chronicles' books were written between that time and 2004.

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

But for what? To practice a mix of Roman Catholicism and New Age philosophies?

She might as well have stayed an atheist.

16. standingfirminChrist

This site

has an interesting review of Anne's book Out of Egypt.

In it, one can easily see that the Christ she is writing of is not the Christ of the Bible. The Christ she is telling the story of murders a bully and then feels sorry for it and brings him back to life.

The Christ she writes of is disobedient to his parents... totally contrary to what He teaches us in the Word of God.

The Christ of the book has problems remembering commands Joseph gave him. The Christ of her book also lies.

Anne is bringing another gospel in her books about the Christ she is supposedly serving.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What bothered me about her testimony was that there was no mention of sin and why Christ died on that cross. The only reason I saw her mention was Christ died so that we would love each other.

Did anyone else notice this? Ok. Now you can :tonofbricks: me.

18. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It sounds like Anne Rice has based her fictitious books on the "Gospel of Thomas" and Gnosticism. If this is the case look for other books from her based around Dan Brown's book "The DaVinci Code". If she does this then it will be obvious that her motive is to cash in on Brown's success.

Eye wide open (EWO) would be good policy.

19. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Can you say "FICTION?" In the words of Andy Griffith, "You beat it all." All religious writings aren't non-fiction. I guess you trashed talked C. S. Lewis's "Chronicles of Narnia" How about a Christian writer be allowed to write some fiction. It might be a better read than the vampire books. It really behooves me why this board of moderators allow you to trash talk every thread. Man, your life must be sad.

#19 JerryL, Mar 23, 2008
  20. standingfirminChrist

It is fiction, but Anne does not claim this is fiction. She says she did historical research. She is telling the story through what she claims are Jesus' words.

Pure heresy is what she has wrote.