1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anointing With Oil

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Seeker Of Truth, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

There is nothing wrong with anointing with oil. It is Scriptural and can be very moving. There is nothing magic in the oil (except for what GB said above), but it is the symbolism that accompanies the oil. It can be very beneficial to the anointee and the anointer and the whole church.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Amen Brother Ian.

As to annointing with oil being charismatic I'll bet James would have taken offence to that(this refers to an ealier entry).

3. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I firmly believe that this practice is Biblical and should still be practiced. However, I think most Baptist churches (Independent and Southern alike) shy away from it because of the charismatic movement and a little foreign guy that likes to dress in white.

Some faiths have isolated the verse mentioned earlier but the very next verse is needed--

James 5
    14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

We had our first practice of this last night in our church for a lady who has been ill for several years. Her and her husband requested this and my husband was glad to do it. Jimmy clearly explained that it is not the oil (which is symbolic) that does the healing but it is the prayer of faith that is directed to Almighty God. He explained that it has to be God's will to heal. (look I'm a poet and didn't know it! Ah...did it again)

It was a very moving time last night to hear the prayer go forth and to hear that precious saint as well as everyone else weeping. After all was over...it was like a burden lifted off that couple. They know that everything is always left up to the Lord but it gives peace to a person to know they have followed a command given by the Lord.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member