1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Fine GOP Example of Morality

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Feb 10, 2011.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Very true, all have sinned. However, a certain degree of honesty should be expected in our leaders, such as believing in running this country by its document, called the Constitution. It also means that when you run for election based on conservative values, you act like a conservative, instead of a liberal pretending to be conservative. The last legitimate President we had from the Republican party was Ronald Reagan. Look at the Republican nominees since 1988. Maybe Dole came closest to being what I am talking about, and he lost.

2. targus

targus New Member

Not talking about salvation here.

I'm talking about the Christian walk.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The Christian walk has to do with being more like Christ each day. Its called sanctification. So which sins do we commit that are not as bad as other sins in our walk with the Lord? And on whose authority is such a list established?

4. targus

targus New Member

Ok - which person is more or less Christ like?

Someone who is impatient and thinks unkind things about someone who is driving too slow

Or someone who pulls a gun and threatens the same slow driver?

Really are you just looking for an argument for the fun of it?

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is nothing fun or funny about it. You brought up the idea that some sins are worse than others. No doubt the ones that you put on the bottom rung are the ones you have trouble with.

#25 saturneptune, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  6. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Here is one you may have forgotten: Jesus said, "Therefore the one who delivered me to you has the greater sin."

And he recognizes "the weightier matters of the Law" (Matthew 23).

But you speak of GOP immorality. Why do you think a 3rd party candidate would show us a higher level of morality?

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as political parties are composed of men, there will be no party, nor politician, without sin.

8. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well he confused me is all. Points to "another fine example of GOP morality", wants to know when we'll stop voting for them, and wants us to vote for a 3rd party. I thought maybe there must be some as yet unknown party that is just chock full of folks behaving morally and I didn't even know about it. :confused:

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And why do you tolerate this nation being governed at such low standards in a manner that disregards the Constitution? How can you sit there and not see the quality of Repubican candidates for President since 1988? No, there will never be a party not sinful, but that does not mean that the two parties that exist that do nothing but steal, do anything to keep power, and refuse to govern like the Constitution says have to be tolerated. It is statements like "I am confused" that feeds the two party system and nothing will change.

Now as for the greater sin, what does what Jesus said have to do with electing honest politicians? Aside from that, who are you are any other flawed human to make a judgement about which sin is greater? Great job we have already don with that. In most churches, buying a lottery ticket gives rise to a sin we ignore, gossip. Now which causes more harm? The bottom line is sin is sin. Without salvation, you end up in the same place.

Why don't you stop giving the Republicans a free pass and elect people that want to serve and not steal?

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No one said without sin. One can always find excuses to give a blind eye to leaders who steal and practice liberalism. It seems very odd when a Democrat does something similar there is thread after thread of endless condemnation, but in this case, we are excusing Republican behavior.

#30 saturneptune, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2011
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not the point at all. The Republican platform, despite the failures of individuals, is more friendly to religion and liberty. As such, there is a certain weight placed on the character of the candidate. Had this surfaced during the campaign, he would not have won.

However, as rbell pointed out, there is no vice not required of a Democrat.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? It's almost like his first time online.

It doesn't take long before one realizes that what's on the web is forever AND one should never post a comment or photo that he wouldn't want the entire world to see.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If the Republicans are putting in their platform pro-life, traditional family values, conservative ideals, and a return to Constitutional government, then that is what they should do. How does that stack up with Bush, Bush and McCain. It has nothing to do with what is written on a piece of paper, it has to do with the character of the leader. We expect nothing of the kind from Democrats, because their agenda is also written down and they follow it.

That is the exact point. As long as we give a smile, nod and wink and let this pass, we will get the same results.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That I agee with 100%. He cannot be very bright in the first place.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People have a tendency to turn a "blind eye" toward those whom they support for one reason or another.

I have seen no one in this thread "excuse" this Republican's behavior.

16. targus

targus New Member

Wow - judge much?

I would say that judging others unjustly is a sin.

That would make your sin no less than the sins of any gay child loving mass murderer.

Right?

Perhaps it would be best if you never run for office. :laugh:

17. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

When you are under Law and hanging by a chain of links of varying sizes, over a lake of fire, it does not matter whether you break a big link or a small link. :)

However, under Grace we were introduced to the concept of "Missing The Mark". This connotes the idea of a marksman going to the range and practicing his markmanship. Depending upon his skill level he may hit the bullseye more frequently than the one next to him. But, he will still miss the mark occaisionally.

Now, back to the chain, above, under Grace we are no longer hanging over the lake of fire, but are rather resting in the everlasting arms of Jesus.

No, not a license to sin willfully after the flesh. But, the only place to be to regain forgiveness when we miss the mark.

As a hand gunner I never miss the paper... But, I also never (yet) group all my shots in the center of mass...

My Christian life, unfortunately, still has a few wide shots from time to time. But, I am hitting the paper and firing downrange.

Yes, the miss distance can be measured...

But, the goal isn't to measure the miss distance... It's to eliminate it!

But, even so, I am thankful, than when I do shoot wide...

1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

-and-

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I got better things to do with my life than wallow in the filth of stealing from the American people. No, my sin is no better or worse. Then again, I am not in a leadership position of trust.

19. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes I am aware that sin is sin, and that I am not qualified to list degrees of sin. The Lord has indicated that he does see different degrees, contrary to your comment that there are none.

Well you brought up the point of morality in electing politicians. The thread title itself indicates that. You want us to stop voting for Republicans and put other parties in power. I just asked which ones.

Recovered from surgery completely now?

#39 NiteShift, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
  20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Actually politics and the Lord should be kept seperate. Republicans being .001% closer to Christian values than Democrats does not say much. No one expects perfection. Degrees of sin which I did not bring up only nit picks and does not solve the problem. We have the right to expect leaders who will run the nation as servants, by the Constitution, and be honest. That does not mean sinless perfection in the spiritual sense. You take the last several Republican nominees, for example super Conservative John McCain. I can remember a banking scandal, liberal votes, crazy ideas like picking a democrat for VP. We do not have to set the bar so low.

As far as the surgery, the sternum did not heal properly, and I can feel popping and crackling at times. It grew back together as gristle instead of bone. The only solution is to redo the cracking and rewire it. No thanks. Aside from that, it is good to be alive, I go to school full time, and substitute teach aside from the church work. Thanks for asking.