1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anti Christian children's movie

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Glen Seeker, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Glen Seeker

Glen Seeker New Member

On December 7th an antiChristian, antiGod "children's" movie will be released. It is called "The Golden Compass" and stars Nicole Kidman.

Please check it out on the URBAN LEGENDS REFERENCE PAGES here
    http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

I hope that all who believe in God or even a "higher power" can unite to make this movie the worst failure Hollywood has ever seen.

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Thanks for the info.

3. JustPassingThru

Site Supporter

I probably haven't been to a movie-house more than 5 times in the last 10 years. Don't much care for them.

Count me in to boycott this movie, but I doubt anyone will notice.

4. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Fox news reported this yesterday on their website. What’s really sad and shameful, is that it is the Catholic Church that’s leading the charge against this movie.

“Focus on the Family” James Dobson and other Evangelical’s are going to take a wait-and-see approach to the movie

Way to go to the Catholic Church for taking a stand…:thumbs:

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305487,00.html

ICXC NIKA
    -

5. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Over the years I have become very selective over the movies I watch, mainly because there is nothing unique about todays movies. I did rent out "300" and was very disappointed in that movie as it really failed to deal with historical reality.
    For the most part I like the old Classics much much more that what is being offerd today.
    This is another movie I will add to my list as not to watch.

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I think part of the reason for this is that it is anti-God, but it goes through the RCC in it's attack of God.
    Apparently the author wrote this trilogy in retaliation to CS Lewis and the Narnia series; and of course, Lewis was catholic.

7. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

it's old news to me...but is this worse than a anti-children's children's cartoon like the one's in Europe and Japan and other places?

8. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Are you saying the RCC is attacking God? Please rephrase if needed, if not please explain your reasoning.

Lewis was catholic...small "c" (Church of England), but he was no Roman Catholic...his buddies J.R.R. Tolkien and G.K. Chesterton were Roman Catholic.

ICXC NIKA
    -

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Pullman denies the film or book is anti-God or anti-religion. From
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21595083/

How do you respond to the claim that your books are anti-Catholic and promote atheism? Lyndsay Petersen, Parkersburg, Iowa

Hello, Lyndsay: In the world of the story — Lyra’s world — there is a church that has acquired great political power, rather in the way that some religions in our world have done at various times, and still do (think of the Taliban in Afghanistan). My point is that religion is at its best — it does most good — when it is farthest away from political power, and that when it gets hold of the power to (for example) send armies to war or to condemn people to death, or to rule every aspect of our lives, it rapidly goes bad. Sometimes people think that if something is done in the name of faith or religion, it must be good. Unfortunately, that isn’t true; some things done in the name of religion are very bad. That was what I was trying to describe in my story.

I think the qualities that the books celebrate are those such as kindness, love, courage and courtesy too. And intellectual curiosity. All these good things. And the qualities that the books attack are cold-heartedness, tyranny, close-mindedness, cruelty, the things that we all agree are bad things.​

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

My children will not be watching it.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...that's obvious by your use of "movie-house" :laugh: