1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anti-God posters to go up on Wash DC buses

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Marcia, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Recently, I read about this happening on buses in London. Now it will happen here in Wash DC. From an article in today's Wash Post (Nove 11), it seems buses (and maybe the trains?) in Wash DC will be following London's lead.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/11/AR2008111102522.html

......At a news conference at the National Press Club yesterday, members of the American Humanist Association -- one of the country's leading atheist and agnostic organizations -- explained what they're up to.

"Our message is that all of us can have moral values as a natural result of who we are as a species and who we have become as a civilization," said Fred Edwords, the association's director of communications. "Each one of us knows what it means, generally, to be ethical."

....The atheists said they aren't trying to proselytize -- a funny concept -- just reaching out to what they say is an increasing number of people who do not believe in a deity.

"We're striking while the iron is hot," Fred said.

What iron? Well, Bill Maher's movie, "Religulous." And books by the likes of Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchins and Philip Pullman.
    ========================MORE============================

The thing is, Metro transportation is, I believe, a quasi-government funded system. So I wonder how they get away with this or if they would refuse posters urging people to believe in Christ.

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I am assuming that it is paid advertising. If so then I would hope that a local church would use it as an opportunity to place ads on the same trains or buses, in order to not only take a stand against the message but also to give those that might start thinking about the questions raised the real answer.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I hope so, too. There are not that many solid churches in this area, however. There are some, but very few compared to how many liberal and dead churches there are. I imagine the cost would be very high to place these posters.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member