1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

any Biblical/Theo Studies students at Southern?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by NateT, May 21, 2004.

1. NateT

NateT Member

I'm starting classes this summer (actually, I've already taken Theology 1 and 2 online two years ago). I'm planning on being a Biblical and Theological Studies student. The amount of language work is appealing to me. Although, we'll see after I take my first semester of greek if that is still the case.

Just wondering if there were any other students at southern who are in this track?

2. panicbird

panicbird New Member

I thought about doing that one, but I think (if I am able to attend this fall...please pray for me!) that I will do the advanced M.Div. The fewer hours and reseach emphasis appeal to me. I have heard nothing but good things about the biblical and theological studies track, though. If you stick with it, you will be a terrific exegete.

Lon

3. NateT

NateT Member

Well, I'm not sure I'm qualified for the adv. m.div. Did you go to Bible school?

4. panicbird

panicbird New Member

I have a degree in Biblical Languages from Union University (a SBC school). And I did a year of seminary work at Regent College.
    We will have to hook up if I come up to Louisville in the fall. I think I read that you are living in Village Manor. What do you think of it? I have heard some not great things about it. If you could do it over again, would you still live there? If not, where? As you can tell, I know NOTHING about living in Louisville and cherish any bit of information I can get. [​IMG]
    Oh, do not worry about Greek. It is easy. Hebrew, on the other hand, WHOO DOGGIE!

Lon

5. NateT

NateT Member

Yes, we live in Village Manor. I read some of the same stuff you probably have read about it. To not live here, to get out if at all possible etc.

It's called the gospel ghetto.

HOWEVER, I would live here again, and my wife says the same thing. There is a lady here that came over and did my wife's hair. They were talking, and she said at first they didn't live here. Lived somewhere on Brownsboro Rd (nearby here) and their neighbors drank all the time, smoked all the time, yelled all the time and had the police out quite often. They moved here even before that lease expired. They were paying two months rent for sometime because this place was better.

My take on it is, it depends on your priorities. If you want to have a place where there are a lot of other seminary students and their families, if you want a place where your kids can have a lot of kids to play with, if you want to have a neighborhood where you can walk around and feel safe, and if you want a place where you know that for the most part your neighbors will share similar beliefs this is the place.

If you can't stand that there are toys in the back of most complexes that aren't picked up, if you can't stand that the kitchen is really small, sometimes there are appliances out by the dumpsters, there are broken bikes in the yards, and some places look really "trashy" on the outside then don't come here.

There are a set of apartments on Grinstead Dr that the seminary owns. Those look really nice on the outside. And since it is seminary students you would get some of the same bennefits of living here. They are only 2 bedrooms so depending on if you need an "office" or if you have more than one kid, they might not work out.

Just for comparison, our 3 bedroom here at Village Manor is $599/mo. There is an apartment complex on Grinstead drive NOT run by the seminary and they have 1 bedrooms start at $800 a month. A ways away from the seminary there are some nice complexes that advertise a 1 bedroom for 499 a month.

We took a huge leap of faith and just moved here sight unseen, but I think we'd do it again.

If you come here, definitely let me know. We've only been here 6 weeks, so we can discover Louisville together [​IMG]

6. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

I've been at Southern for 2 years...if you have any questions, PM me.

7. panicbird

panicbird New Member

What program are you in, JGrayhound?

Do you know of any churches that are looking for a youth minister/associate pastor/minister of education? [​IMG] Actually, not [​IMG] , seriously.

Lon

8. NikkiLeigh

NikkiLeigh New Member

Hey everyone! My friends and I are going up to Southern in August. We have been endlessly searching for apartments and have it narrowed down to two options. BUT...we are in Texas and can't actually see the places.

Does anybody know anything about Autumn Run or Jamestown St. Matthews?
    If so, please let me know asap!