1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any Bird Watchers?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by preacher, Aug 23, 2001.

1. preacher

preacher New Member

In the past month or so I've took to watching
    all the different types of birds that use our yard as a home territory, including some friendly hummingbirds. Just wondering if there are any "watchers" out there & if you might have any info on hummers'? :rolleyes:

2. the 'I AM' hath sent me

Only birds I care to watch is the fried chicken on my plate.
    ;)

Theres an ostrich farm beside my moms house. Now, that is a bird you need to watch. They'll put a show on for ya. :D Especially when in breeding season. :eek: Have a cool dance(John Travolta eat your heart out) :D [​IMG]

3. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Get a hummingbird feeder, but make your own nectar. One part sugar to two parts boiling water. Let cool completely, pour into clean feeder. I live in Georgia and hummers are usually around from April through September (or there abouts). So, if you don't get a feeder out soon, it might be too late this year.

I have found that they like a flower called Pintas best. I plant these outside by our front porch. I can see the flowers as I sit at my computer, and it's a blessing to watch them come around.

4. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Definitely not me!

I've shot thousands of sparrows, pigeons, chickens, other wild birds since the age of nine when I learned how to spirit out my dad's air rifle out of his closet. :D

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got bird feeders and houses, but not much action until we got a bird bath. Wow, do the critters love that!

Some nasty jays must think its segregated because they give the little brown wrens a bad time!

When I was a teen I grew up hunting geese, quail, turkey, ducks, pheasant, doves (and a few stray chickens from farmer's yards).

Had to. We were dirt poor, lived in the inner city and we would walk the tracks out to the fields, or bike out 20 miles with a gun tied to the handlebars. Often went on the weekend with Dad for bird, squirrel or rabbit. Sometimes it was even legally in season.

Shot was expensive, so learned to use a .22 and knock 'em in the head when they wre still on the ground. Still can hear my Dad call me "eagle-eye" . . . (he's been dead over a year now).

Now I couldn't hunt like that. I love to watch the flight, nesting, mating, the rituals, the majesty of the birds.

And I hear that blue jays taste terrible. :rolleyes:

6. preacher

preacher New Member

Actually I already had a feeder hangin' on the front porch. The little hummers musta'
    been watching me type about them yesterday cause even more of them started showing up today. Different types from the others. The
    other day I was in the garage with the big door open & had one buzz in & hang around a while. Even came rite over to where I was working like he was checking to see if I was doing it right!! I told him I thought my wife was the only one that done that! :D
    I don't know exactly what my mix ratio was on the sugarwater, but they're sure going to town on it. Hope they don't o.d. on it. ;)
    Oh & Dr B., Blue jay makes a pretty good
    pot pie!!!! :eek: :D