1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

any Bow hunters here?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Archeryaddict, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

Just wondering if any one here is into Archery, bow hunting or 3D and any activities related to it such as camping Bow fishing .smoke poles or modern rifles?

I suppose every one has figured out by now that is what My hobby is because of my screen name [​IMG]

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Archeryaddict - Got the cure for the common outdoor sports. Uncommon outdoor sports! Ever been to Remington country? I live 20 miles from the plant where they make the finest firearms in the country. We don't use Gregorian calendars here; we use Remintorian...

January aka coyote season
    February aka ice fishing for muskies season
    March aka indoor rim fire season
    April aka trout season
    May aka spring turkey, aka Black Fly season
    June - July - August aka BASS (need I say more?)
    September aka Canada geese/duck season
    October aka Fall turkey season, aka early archery whitetail, aka early muzzleloader season
    early November aka Whitetail (north)season
    mid November - mid-December aka shotgun season
    mid December - December 22 aka late muzzleloader season
    December 23 - December 31 aka Hey, we ain't fanatics ya know. We's got families!

Used to shoot a 70# recurve. I just don't have the pipes to pull it and hold it anymore. I have a 32" draw and, years ago, I got tired of looking for a compound that drew far enough. Now my buddy bow hunts for whitetail while I hunt fall turkey. I am the resident eviscerater and he pays for all the propane for camp. I'd say that's a fair deal.

3. graceb2u

graceb2u New Member

My husband and daughter are both avid bow hunters. We just bought my daughter a new bow. They also hunt turkey and grouse. Husband has his sights on black bear next. He is another thing they do (which I know might offend some people) they both trap. This year they got a coyote, 5 grey foxes.
    Both used to 3D shoot but don't much anymore. I bought my husband a 3D deer couple years back and they shoot at it during the summer to get ready for season.

4. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey graceb2u, If your hubby ever needs help wetting a line in the Unadilla give me a shout. Maybe we can get archeryaddict to come up all the way from ChattanOOOOOOOOOOga and help us with the coyote situation. You guys trap 'em, AA can stick 'em and I'll shoot what's left. [​IMG]

5. pyoumans

pyoumans New Member

I enjoy several areas of archery. I have a couple of High country Bows (That is what most have in our area) One is an older Supreme that is Black and Silver. It is used for 3-D and Dot shooting. Unfortunately most of the different shoots in this area have stopped. THe others are on Sunday. I have a hunting bow as well. I also build Long Bows. Most of the time they are built from Osage and backed with Deer Sinew. I am currently building one that is made of a beautiful wood called "purpleheart" (It really is purple) and I am backing it with Bamboo. I am trying to experiment with a take down bow that will be set up for Bow fishing. In Kentucky we have about 5 months of Bow season, so serious hunters use more than just a rifle.
    By the way, Archery Addict, I noticed you are from CHattanooga. I lived there for 10 years while At TTU. [​IMG]

6. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    qn to ask....what do you hunt and why?

7. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whitetail deer, geese, duck and turkey: we eat them and it makes one or two less deer for city folk to bounce off the grill of their SUV.

Coyotes: predators that eat fawns and young turkey.

Bass and muskie: catch and release.

Trout: catch and fry pan.

8. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rest i can understand but this one...Erm... to me, that's pretty duh... [​IMG]

9. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Su Wei said
    In what respect? The standing on a frozen lake in 0 degree weather or putting it back after you caught it?

10. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    both, i guess.... [​IMG]

11. North Carolina Tentmaker

I got a bow about 7 years ago to increase my seasons a little. I got a pretty good PSE and I like it a lot but still have not killed a deer with it.

I did get a pig a few years ago. I don’t know if I want to do that again or not. I had a good shot that went through the liver and both lungs, but that little sucker still went a long way.

12. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NC Tentmaker,

What's a PSE?

What's that wild pig taste like? Is it a lot leaner than farm raised? Can you lay it up in the smoker? You are eat 'em aren't you?

Su Wei,

We have a saying around here. There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. Wear the right clothes for the job and you can stay out all day. About catch and release: are you concerned about the ethical treatment of the fish or someone spending hours fishing and going home empty-handed on purpose?

13. North Carolina Tentmaker

PSE is a brand of compound bow. I am very happy with mine, its a real joy to shoot. I shot recurve bows for years but was never a good enough shot to carry one in the woods. With a modern compound anyone can learn to shoot a bow.

I have killed several wild pigs (just one with the bow). I love them. Like any other game animal taste depends on several factors. Their age and diet play a part as well as getting a quick kill and cooling the meat off quickly. I try to pick out a sow that has not had a litter yet and has been hanging out around grain crops. They have a great sweet taste that I prefer to farm raised pigs. I like to grill the chops and smoke the hams to make pulled barbeque. The ribs are ok but the side meat is a lot of trouble. Now if you kill an old boar who has been living deep in a swamp, you will be better off just making sausage.

14. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going home empty-handed on purpose. To me, it's like wasted time!
    But I speak as a "city slicker" who's never done a second of fishing in all my life. [​IMG] Don't be offended. ;)

Oh yes, but if it was Bass, if it's the same kind of bass we have, We steam them with some seseme oil, soya sauce and ginger slivers.

15. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember talking with an American missionary couple and i was so intrigued at the thought that they actually hunt moose to eat (over a loooong period of time). The only meat we get for cooking and eating is in the supermarket. :D

16. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I hunt with a Matthews bow.
    I killed my fourth elk last Sept. on the headwaters of the Little Bighorn.

I hunted a trophy mule deer for two weeks closer to my home but he was much better that I was.

MR