1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any kind of "ism"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Sep 6, 2007.

1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

This is concerning an attempt to discuss the issue of Calvinism, and the suggestion that this causes some to inappropriately focus on the person, rather than his thoughts on theology.

Allow me....

Is it dangerous to name different views after people because of the danger to idolize, or confuse others?

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hey dan,

My major in college was communication. One of the things I learned, which we all pretty much know, but its nice to define, is the two main meaning of words.

One is dennotative. This is the definitional meaning of a word. The second is connotative. You post is in regard to "isms" Here's the definitional:

"a distinctive doctrine, cause, or theory" This definition is Websters regarding the suffix "ism"

A decond dennotative meaning is:

"an oppressive and especially discriminatory attitude or belief" An example would be racism. I thought this was interesting, http://phrontistery.info/isms.html

It's a list of isms as they deal with philosophy or religous thought.

The point is that the suffix "ism" is used to in these manners. So how is Calvin-ism being used? To express a distinctive doctrine. I think other threads have explained how those doctrines came to be called Calvinism in history.

3. larryjf

larryjf New Member

It is my understanding that these naming conventions come from the alternate viewpoint in an attempt to discredit folks who hold to a particular view. The same thing was done with the Puritans.

Those who hold to the doctrines of grace were labeled by those who hold to more of a "free-will salvation" as being Calvinists to try and give folks the impression that they followed a man instead of the Bible. "Calvinists" return in kind by calling "free-will salvation" folks "Arminians."