Any other "only's"

Discussion in 'Bible Versions/Translations' started by deacon jd, May 7, 2009.

1. deacon jd

deacon jd
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone ever met anyone who claimed that a particular version other than the KJV was the only accurate Bible?

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf
    Expand Collapse

Only in Mexico- some are Reina-Valera 1909 only but they are not as- uh, shall we say- rabid as KJVO here in the USA.

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't be sure you literally meant "met" (as in personally), so I will just mention two other very specific & extreme 'Onlyist' views:
    'Pure Cambridge Edition' perfectionsists (for example, see http://www.bibleprotector.com/purecambridgeedition.htm )
    and
    'Real Douay-Rheims' perfectionists (see http://www.drbible.org/ )
    closely akin to the former official Catholic position of Latin Vulgate perfectionism

#3 franklinmonroe, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  4. EdSutton

EdSutton
    Expand Collapse

In addition to those already mentioned, I believe I recently read that some Germans support ONLY some particular edition of the "Luther Bibel" on another thread.

I have personally met none other than several KJVO and a very few D-RO, in the past, to my knowledge.

Ed

#4 EdSutton, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  5. InHisGrip

InHisGrip
    Expand Collapse

nope...........

6. nodak

nodak
    Expand Collapse

No debate here, so I hope it is ok to come up here and answer a simple question. Many years ago I was member of an SBC church in northern NM where the pastor taught that the NASB (original) was the only valid English translation.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton
    Expand Collapse

I really should slightly modify my response, I think. I suspect there are actually a few supposedly 'KJVO' I've run into who might be more accurately characterized as "TR" ONLY (BB Member and translator Nigel comes to mind, here, with whom I've had quite a few exchanges, in the past), rather than as a 'true' KJVO, although I would say the percentage is most likely relatively small, in this category.

One thing I have not run into much, if at all, is any 'KJVO' who appears willing to 'renounce' (or actually does renounce) the 1762 Paris and/or 1769 Blaney editions as entirely out-of-hand, in favor of the KJ-1611 ONLY for all the spelling and wordings, excluding any obvious typos in the first early editions.

Ed

#7 EdSutton, May 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009