1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

anybody here familiar with peacocks?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JimboJones, Aug 21, 2004.

1. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Job 39

13 Gavest thou the goodly wings unto the peacocks? or wings and feathers unto the ostrich?
    14 Which leaveth her eggs in the earth, and warmeth them in dust,
    15 And forgetteth that the foot may crush them, or that the wild beast may break them.
    16 She is hardened against her young ones, as though they were not her's: her labour is in vain without fear;
    17 Because God hath deprived her of wisdom, neither hath he imparted to her understanding.

Correct me if I'm wrong but do peacocks not become really really angry when you wanna steal their eggs?

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I ain't never tried!! But I do know this---its awefully easy to run a chicken off her nest to gather her eggs!! She don't get mad or nothin'!

What does this have to do with stealin' eggs from a silly bird??

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

Silly bird? :rolleyes:

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If she is "hardened against her young ones"; why would she get upset if someone took them? :confused:

[​IMG]

I did find this on a website:

"Peahens are excellent mothers."

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

5. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Um..is a peacocks male?
    I am a bit confused right now. :/

But the bible says "she" doesn't care, this would mean that you can steal the eggs and she doesn't care, is this true?

16 She is hardened against her young ones, as though they were not her's: her labour is in vain without fear;
    17 Because God hath deprived her of wisdom, neither hath he imparted to her understanding.

6. mioque

mioque New Member

Interesting detail, when I looked up that text in the bible I normally use, it doesn't even mention peacocks, it's all about the ostrich.

7. I Am Blessed 24

You are correct mioque.

I didn't look up the reference until just now. My KJV Bible says in Job 39:13 "Gavest thou the goodly wings unto the peacocks? or wings and feathers unto the ostrich?"

(Please do not start a KJVO debate. I am not KJVO. I just prefer the KJV.)

He is talking about ostrich's not caring for their young. He is not talking about Peacocks at all...

[​IMG]

Interesting tidbit: The contents of one ostrich egg is equivalent to two dozen chicken eggs.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In Job 39, It is the Lord speaking to Job, who had undergone a great deal of suffering allowed by God. But God is merciful and compassionate. He shows Job that it is impossible for Job to understand the mind of God, just as he does not know the nature of animals. He then proceeds to give a very poetic description of different animals. All these animals had to depend on the mercies of God for life. Thus we should also.

39:1-4; In these verses, using the wild goats and hinds (or deer) as examples of the animal kingdom, God asks Job if he is willing to take on all the vetenarian responsibilities of the animal kingdom. That is, if he is willing to be responsible for all the calving, and just everything related to the birthing process of the larger animals.

39:5-8; Job 39:5 Who hath sent out the wild ass free? or who hath loosed the bands of the wild ass?
    --He describes the nature of the wild ass in this passage.

39:9-12; Job 39:9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
    --Most other translations translate "unicorn" as "wild ox," which better fits the context of this passage. And so He is describing the wild ox to Job in these verses.

39:13-18 describes the ostrich. Look at verse 13 in two different translations.

Job 39:13 Gavest thou the goodly wings unto the peacocks? or wings and feathers unto the ostrich? (KJV)

Job 39:13 "The wings of the ostrich wave proudly; But are they the feathers and plumage of love? (WEB)

I am inclined to believe that the entire passage is speaking of the ostrich and not the peacock. The message that God is giving throughout this passage is that there is a great diversity in the nature of animals, and we will never understand why some animals are made the way they are. The ostrich is one such animal. Consider some of the charateristics of an ostrich.
    It is so fast that it can outrun a horse.
    Yet it is so "silly" that it walks off and leaves its eggs right in the open.
    It doesn't take care of its young.
    How do we understand this passage? We understand that God makes all of his creatures different, and has a purpose in doing so. We may never understand why he makes the ostrich the way he has made it. In the same way we will never understand God.
    He says: "My ways are higher than your ways; my thoughts are higher than your thoughts"
    "Who can know the mind of the Lord."
    We are but finite creatures trying to understand an infinite God—an impossibility.

Verses 19-25 give a majestic description of the horse.
    Then at the end the hawk and the eagle are mentioned. The Lord teaches Job (and us) about His nature, by teaching us the nature of His creatures.
    DHK

9. I Am Blessed 24

Good post DHK! [​IMG]

I know God does not make mistakes, but I cannot for the life of me understand why He made SLUGS! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. natters

natters New Member

The word translated "peacocks" in Job 39:13 in the KJV is not the same word translated "peacocks" in 1 King 10:22 and 2 Chron 9:21 in the KJV. The word in Job 39:13 appears nowhere else in the Old Testament, and it is likely that the Translators made a "best guess".

The Translators said in their preface:

"There be many words in the Scriptures, which be never found there but once, (having neither brother or neighbor, as the Hebrews speak) so that we cannot be holpen by conference of places."

and

"it hath pleased God in his divine providence, here and there to scatter words and sentences of that difficulty and doubtfulness, not in doctrinal points that concern salvation, (for in such it hath been vouched that the Scriptures are plain) but in matters of less moment, that fearfulness would better beseem us than confidence"

Bibles that predate the KJV have the following:

Wycliffe: "ostrich"
    Coverdale: "ostrich"
    Bishop's: "peacocks"
    Geneva: "peacocks"

The KJV was largely a revision of the Bishop's, thus that might explain why the KJV retained "peacocks" in this verse.

11. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Who couldn't love a beauty like this one
    Banana slug. Some about 6 inches long, from Olympic Penninsula, Washington.

Click here for photo.

Edited to remove oversized photo only.

[ August 31, 2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

12. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Peacocks..... own a couple and start a war with the neighbours because of the ghastly noise they make at dawn.

Member of the Neighbourhood Fellowship to shoot all Peacocks on sight!

13. Lori

Lori New Member

:eek: Well at least the Banana slug was a mite prettier than the regular garden slug. It has it's looks going for it if nothing else.

azwyld
    &lt;*}}}&gt;&lt;

14. Meercat

Meercat New Member

This thread is funny. I've enjoyed it very much. I agree with many others here that the cited Scripture speaks of the ostrich but that is without having checked on the "chick" raising habits of the ostrich. Wouldn't surprise me though, they are some very mean birds! Has anyone ever been close to one? They really ARE huge!!!

DHK- I really enjoyed your post. I'm Catholic, but you'd be surprised to know that we have more in common than what we DON'T have in common. Good insight! - God bless all, and MERRY CHRISTMAS! - Meercat