1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone been to the Lake District in UK?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Su Wei, May 6, 2003.

1. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would love to hear if anyone's been to the Lake District. I hear that it's very scenic but will only have an hour or so to drive through the area. :(
    Which is the best part of the District to head for?

btw.... can someone tell me what time the sunsets in June in the UK?
    (Living on the equator all my life, sunrise sunset is pretty much the same all year round! [​IMG] )

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have been several times. Depends whether you like lakes or mountains. If it's mountains you're after then I would suggest you head for Ambleside, on the shores of Windermere, England's largest lake; or failing that, Coniston Water in the next valley. If mountains, then either go for Scafell (England's highest) or Helvellyn (more dramatic); you can't actually drive up to them but you can admire them from afar. Or if you like Olde Worlde towns, then Keswick is quite nice; you can motor down to either the head of the valley with Scafell or down to Windermere in about 20 minutes from Keswick. A word of warning though: Keswick is the wettest place in England so check the weather forecast first! Re: sunset - not sure but around 9-30pm to 10pm, with it getting dark between 10 and 10-30 that far north.

Yours in Christ

Matt

3. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Matt! I will take note of all those names of places. [​IMG] I can't decide if i like lakes or mountains more. I'd guess i'd love to take in both! [​IMG]
    Is the head of the valley to the North?
    :confused:
    We'll be driving up from Manchester.

Any others would like to share about the Lake District?

Another question. If I were to take the rail down to see London City for a day, but cannot afford to stay within London itself, what is the best alternative for the family?
    B&B? Hostels?

Thanks again! [​IMG]

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you go roughly south from Keswick towards I think it is called Seathwaite, you will come to the head of the valley leading to Scafell. Motoring from Manchester, I would suggest coming off the M6 at junction 35, heading via Kendal to Ambleside on Windermere and then going up to Keswick.

Yours in Christ

Matt

5. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

SuWei

I didn't know you'd posted this here. [​IMG] I hope the e-mail I've just sent you helps.

Enda

6. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It did! THanks! [​IMG]