1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone familiar with the Williams NT?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Taufgesinnter, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

http://www.sprawls.org/williams/

I have a couple copies and really enjoyed the accuracy of his translation of Greek verbs. For example, "Knock and keep on knocking..."

Anyone else here ever use this version? If so, what did you think of it?

2. Forever settled in heaven

i've not used it, but if it regularly translates the Gk present tense by "Verb and Keep on Verb-ing" it wld make a v booooring translation.

besides, it wld be inaccurate, as the Gk present tense doesn't ALWAYS mean Keep on Verb-ing. :)

Williams may need Nida to straighten him out [​IMG]

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I have a Williams NT, and although I haven't used it much, it looks like a good little NT. It looks like it *usually* is quite formal in translation (while still managing to make "smooth" English, which is fantastic to read), while on occasion it is a little loose in terms of translation, often using dynamic equivalency to the point that sometimes borders on paraphrase - but with interesting results:

E.g. John 1:1 "In the beginning the Word existed; and the Word was face to face with God; yea, the Word was God Himself."

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I remember it being brought to my second year Greek class and all of us discussing it. One of the things that got brought up was the issue of the correct meanings of Greek words. It certainly used different meanings. I was not all that comfortable with the translation. But as I remember it presented a lot of discussion and thought though.