1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone in or been in the Airforce? Thinking about joining. . .

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spoudazo, May 23, 2006.

1. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Hello,

I'm considering joining the Air Force. For various reasons, but the main one is praying that some point and time I'll be stationed in Utah, where I'd like to live and be a "missionary to the Mormons" so to speak.

I'm 22, have some college education, but really think the military will help me be more disciplined in various areas of my life.

So I was wondering who all is, or have been, in the Air Force? Thanks for your time!

2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

I haven't, but have a grandson who is just completing his sixth year. He joined in Dec 2000 to get some experience while making up his mind what he wanted for his future. Their first day, the recruits were asked why they joined. Some answered as he did, others had a specific trade they wished to learn, there were many reasons. None matched what their commander told them -- that they had joined the military and they would be taught how to shoot, bomb and generally how to kill people.

I am very proud of his commitment, his maturity and his self-discipline. His training polished what was already there. But they really did teach him how to make bombs -- and how to deliver them.

Are you prepared to do so?

3. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

For the protection of my country, yes.

4. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

With that conviction, talk with a recruiter. But know that you most likely will not be able to choose your post. My granddaughter is engaged to a young man in seminary who is considering becoming a chaplain. There are many ways to serve.

5. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

My son is in the Air Force (even though I was Army, wonder why he didn't go that way?). Anyhow, it has been good for him in many ways and he has matured alot. He did a tour in Iraq and will be going again shortly. I would recommend that you take nothing longer than a four year enlistment to start out. My son took 6 and now wishes he could be on his way. Also, there is quite a bit of drinking, swearing and all that in the military. Always has been and I guess always will, so you would have to deal with that in your own way. Overall though, it was good for me and it's been good for my son.

6. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Thanks [​IMG]

Even if I enlist for 4 years, I can sign up for longer w/o any "side effects," after, correct?

My goal is to get to Utah and live there. A guy in my church was in the Air Force for 20 years, was stationed in Utah, and said you could see SLC from the base. [​IMG]

7. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes, if you find that the Air Force is where you want to stay you can always reenlist. The recruiters will try to get you to sign for a longer initial enlistment, and promise a bigger bonus, but you should ignore all that and go with your own plan.

There are station of choice options, or at least there used to be. I think that only applies to your first duty station, and after the first 2 years they can move you.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

May I ask why go to the military to get to Utah? Why not just go to Utah if that is what you feel you need to do?

Not to discount the military at all, I am very grateful for everyone who serves our country. It just seems like a wrong reason to join the military. But maybe I am missing something.

9. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

It's just one of the reasons.

Mormons do not like "clergy" who are paid by a church(s). I have been pondering how to effectly witness to Mormons, and be able to live in Utah, as it's a hard field to stay in.

If you're not a minister who is paid by a church, or supported by a mission board, then it's hard to get a job in the area.

If you are a minister who is paid by a church, it henders your witness when a Mormon you're talking to asks a rhetorical question regarding you or your pastor, regarding finances that is.

Also, if the AF doesn't work out, I know Sony and Microsoft both have different branches in SLC, so if I could get some computer training (I build and work on computers on the side), JAVA programming, C++, etc. training, I could potentially do that.

Anyway, I have been pondering this for over a year, praying about it often, and this is where I am at. [​IMG]

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

oh ok, thanks for the clarification.

I have had several friends go to the military. I know they give options at some points of what places to go, etc. But I am pretty sure they do not have to go by those and most times just put you where they want you to go despite what recruiters might say beforehand.

So you could join the AF and finish your time and still never have gotten to Utah? Just something to think about. I pray the Lord shows you clearly what He wants.

11. Servent

Servent Member

Pray,Pray,Pray, and if God wants you in the AF in Utah that is were youll be.

12. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having been in the Air Force during war-time, 1964-1975, entire Viet Nam Era, I would advise that you probably will not be where you may want during a 4-year term of enlistment. The needs of the service come first, second and third in priorities. Getting to a specific base in a particular state is highly unlikely--especially in Utah, unless you have an extra measure of congressional clout.

If you want to be a world-wide missionary, volunteer for a Peace Corp type of job. They will probably send you to places the location of which is more than remote.

Seek first the Kingdom of God...

Selah,

Bro. James

13. genesis12

genesis12 Member

I served in the USAF. I got the position that I wanted (communications), but not the location. When you fill out the form which asks where you'd like to be stationed, put Utah as all three of your choices. Once you are in, you'll be asked again, near the end of basic training. Same answer. Can't hurt.

14. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Thanks!

I think it'll be around 2 years before I will be able to enlist, as I'd like to finish Bible College first. :)