1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anything good from alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

webdog,

This is a debate forum. If you want only those who want to agree the false doctrine that alcohol in the life of a believer is allowed, you need to move this to a different thread. If only those who agree with you post, it is not a debate and should not be here.

As it is a debate forum, you may as well expect to hear the truth concerning this matter.

#181 Diggin in da Word, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is a GENERAL BAPTIST DISCUSSION. I want to stick to my OP...not your flawed views.

3. standingfirminChrist

The Word of God is clear on the subject of alcohol. There are many verses to be found therein that speak on the matter.

I stand upon the Word of God asd the truth that drinking alcoholic beverages is forbidden in the life of a believer and nothing good can come of it.

4. Diggin in da Word

Since the General Baptist Discussions is in the Baptist Debate Forums section, as shown below,
    it is a debate forum.

Since you say my views are flawed, and since my views are found written in Holy Scripture, you must think God's Word is flawed.

Sad.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have some ego, diggin. Your views are found in Scripture? I always thought God's views were found in Scripture. You not only equate your views as God's views, but make God's truth fit yours.

Sad.

6. Diggin in da Word

My views line up with God's Word, so yes, they are found in Scripture The Word of God should be a mirror for the Christian. It should show the Christian what manner of man he is.

Unfortunately, when it comes to alcohol in the life of a believer (and other sins), many walk away from that mirror forgetting what manner of man he is.

#186 Diggin in da Word, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  7. standingfirminChrist

Why is it when one who has placed his or her faith in Christ alone, and stands upon the Word of God and preaches against sin he or she is considered as being self-righteous?

One who has placed his or her faith in Christ alone, and who stands on the Word and preaches it without wavering is not clothed in on'e own righteousness, but in Christ's Righteousness.

8. Diggin in da Word

The OP's question 'Can anyone give testimony of "good" coming out of drinking anything acoholic?' must be answered according to the Word of God, else it is man's feeling. If it does not line up with the Word of God, it is carnal, and the Word of God tells us that the carnal mind is at enmity with God.

I have given Scripture and book exerpts to show that total abstinence is commanded in the life of a Believer. The last couple posts that I gave from Leighton's book shows how the stance on the so-called Christian liberty to drink alcohol in moderation is nothing but giving in to that fleshly desire that destroys the body.

9. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Quote: Since you say my views are flawed, and since my views are found written in Holy Scripture, you must think God's Word is flawed.

Standing...quotes like this may answer your question. What I say God's Word says is God's Word. Thus, if you disagree with me, then you disagree with God's Word and God Himself.

Mariology, according to Catholicism, is found written in Holy Scripture. Infant Baptism, according to other denominations, is found written in Holy Scripture. Charismatic gifts continuing through today, according to Pentecostals, if found written in Holy Scripture. The list goes on......

10. standingfirminChrist

Brandon,

That quote was not mine. But I will address your response to it.

Many do not search out the Scripture to see the truth. The Catholics have not searched out the Scripture concerning Mary, else they would not worship her.

Those who baptize infants have not searched out the Scripture concerning baptism, else they would not baptize infants.

Those who believe all the gifts are still to be practiced have not searched out the Scripture concerning the gifts, else they would know they have failed, ceased and vanished away.

Those who believe alcohol is permitted in the Christian walk have not searched out the Scripture concerning alcohol else they would not drink it or advocate it.

11. Brandon C. Jones

Thos who disagree with (fill in the blank with a name) have not searched out the Scriptures or else they would agree with (fill in the blank with a name).

Perhaps it would be better to let black and white issues be black and white and gray issues be gray. Instead many people can't handle gray issues at all and must deem them either black or white, but the problem is they have gray evidence for their case.

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

Wow!

Go offline a few days and the debate is still going on.

Listen folks, if you would learn to let scripture interpret scripture, instead of 21st century advertisements and doctrines of devils, you would clearly see that God is not pleased with those who try to rationalize a way to drink moderately. His word say's it is forbidden if one reads with the Spirit's leading. Otherwise, it says they can booze it up.

I choose to let the Spirit lead when I study.

13. Brandon C. Jones

My bad, I forgot to include this one.

If you disagree with (insert a name) then the Spirit is not leading your interpretation of Scripture because if the Spirit is leading your interpretation of Scripture then you would agree with (insert a name)

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Salt doesn't numb the brain as far as I know but acohol does according to your own admittance. You take a drink to block out pain, well if it blocks out pain in the brain then it could be blocking out conviction too where a person would do something or say something that without the blockage of the acohol in the brain, they would of never done. I am not taking someone's word for acohol causing a person do say or do things they never would of done in a thousand years. I been there, done that.

15. Diggin in da Word

Amen, Brother Bob!!

16. His Blood Spoke My Name

Now, that is what I am talking about. When one lets the Spirit of God do the teaching, the Spirit reveals wisdom.

Way to go, Brother Bob.

17. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Once again, from the OP

18. His Blood Spoke My Name

Then Peter and the other Apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than man.

It has been pointed out, that this is a debate forum.

Looks like the drink in moderation crowd is fulfilling Bible prophecy...

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

19. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I see that we have yet again reached 20 pages on another thread with the same ole same ole going in circles and degenerating into name calling, personal attacks, and questioning the salvation of your fellow confessing Christians by means of innuendo. Therefore, this thread is now being closed. Might I suggest that you all give this dead horse a rest, it has been beaten into the ground. I'd find a new soap box if it were me.

Yours in Christ,

Bible-Boy,
    Forum Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.