1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Apocalypto

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Scarlett O., Jul 7, 2007.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone seen Apocalypto? I don't want to get into a discussion on Mel Gibson and any of his personal problems. I just want to recommend the film.

I saw it today and really liked it. Now, it ranks up there with Patriot and Gladiator as far as violence is concerned, but you must be the judge of whether you see it or not.

As a Christian women, I was very hesitant to watch this film, because I thought to myself, "How on earth are they going to film a story of jungle natives without 2 hours of female nudity?!?!"

I am delighted to say that the women were covered in this film. He could have really exploited that particular characterisitic of the culture, but he did not. And I for one was delighted to see someone make a film like this without naked women.

I won't tell any spoilers, but I will tell you what it is basically about.

It's about seeing (in hindsight) what led to the demise of the Mayan empire...the absolute paganism.

The main story is about a man whose village gets plundered and some women are taken to be sold as slaves and some men are taken to be human sacrifices at the top of the pyramid.

The main character, when seeing that his village is about to be plundered, lowers his pregnant wife and young son into a pit for safe-keeping. There is a rope tied to a rock so that they can get out after the invaders leave.

He assumes that he is going to die, but at least his family will be safe......that is, until one of the invaders cuts the rope.

Now, he knows that he must escape and get back to rescue his family......I won't say anything else.

If you could not condone the violence in Patriot or Gladiator, then this film is probably not for you.