1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Applause!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by amity, Apr 8, 2007.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I anticipated that question while I was typing it. I think common sense dictates the situation.

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

For those of us with-out. Can you give an age. And explain why it is ok to encourage children but not adults.

Is it ok to encourage adults in a non-church setting?

What if an adult is singing a religious song in a non-church setting, applause or not?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let me put it this way:
    If someone can't see the harm in giving some applause to little children putting on a program such as a Christmas program in order to encourage them, then something is wrong.

If a preacher needs the applause of his congregation everytime he preaches, or gives an illustration or joke, etc., in order to encourage him, then something is wrong (with him).

4. amity

amity New Member

There is, or should be, a big difference between entertainment, i.e. a performance, outside of church, and worship inside church. At an entertainment I would applaud for anyone, but in a worship service never. Applause is specifically in appreciation of a performance, agreement with a speech etc. It has no other purpose. It has no place at all in worship.

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Carnality???

:eek: It has been my personal observation that even the use of a good hearty AMEN can most certainly be done at the wrong time or in an INAPPROPRIATE way. Some of the services I have been in or heard on radio broadcasts over the years have most certainly been nothing more than what I'll call "flesh-fests". It seemed to be nothing more than a room full of people hollering just to hear themselves holler.....IMHO!! I have heard people say AMEN (which as was previously pointed out means "may it be so") to some of the most inappropriate times or in response to the most inappropriate things so that it comes off more as a CURSE on someone or something than a blessing. IT IS MOST DEFINITELY A "PET PEEVE" OF MINE. I said all that to say this...we,as children of God need to be prayerful and thoughtful about how we publically display our worship and our feelings before this world. Wildfire that has no sound basis in SCRIPTURE can be just as harmful as NO FIRE AT ALL. While I don't believe applause is an appropriate response in public worship neither do I think a bunch of thoughtless shouting is either. Just my humble OPINION. Balance in anything is the key...and I do believe ...Biblical. AMEN!!!!!!!:saint:

That's Right !!!
    Greg Sr.:laugh:

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

What about applauding because I am in agreement with the message in a song?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=3571&dict=CALD

By definition, applause is directed toward man.
    God demands our praise; he doesn't need our applause.

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Psa 47:1 O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.

God also said if we don't praise Him, the very rocks would cry out.

I'm curious as to why applause would bother you when shouting would not; or would it?

#48 I Am Blessed 24, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Prov. 27:2, “Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; A stranger, and not your own lips.”

Prov. 27:21, “The crucible is for silver and the furnace for gold, And each is tested by the praise accorded him.”

Prov. 31:31, “Give her the product of her hands, And let her works praise her in the gates.”

Ps. 47:1, “O clap your hands, all peoples; Shout to God with the voice of joy.”

Psalm 47:1 is an imperative.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'll take I'm Blessed's source over DHK's :)

BTW, DHK, isn't Christ 100% Man? ;)

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

so applause is somethnig the bible tells us to do.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:applause: :applause: :applause: :godisgood:

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is quite a slam on someone you disagree with. Do you know anyone who continually does good and who never sins?

If you do then you need to take a look at Eccl. 7:20.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree with Gregory Peck who previously said:

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

Just For The Record.....

:saint: I'll stick with the use of (when I feel led) "AMEN","Halellulah","Praise The Lord" or even a stray"That's Right"!! here and there in response to good preaching or good singing. As to why my reasons are as follows...1)because it is just as Biblical to shout as it may be to clap & 2) it is something the "world" outside of the church would not likely do (but they would APPLAUD). I'll stand my ground and maintain that the use of applause in worship is not appropriate and I think it is probable that the clapping referred to in the verses that have been quoted may not even be the same thing as what we commonly refer to as "applause"(though I can't readily prove that).

:type: Greg Sr.

P.S. If you wanna shout..then shout....if you MUST clap..well clap (but it seems worldly to me) IMHO

16. Gregory Perry Sr.

Name correction please!!!!

DHK...that's PERRY....not PECK....Don't wanna be associated with HELLYWOOD in any way,shape,or form!!!

Thank You Very Much,
    Greg Sr.:laugh:

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Verse condemning applause, please. That's a tall order, being as there are many verses condoning clapping.

You probably can't prove that because...
    1. It's a nonsensical assertion. Exactly how else do you "clap?" With one's toenails? Is it a spiritual, out-of-body "clap?" Come, now...
    2. You're taking personal preference and trying to conform the Word to it. Bad precedence.
    Being "clap" and "shout" are in the same verse in Psalms, how can one be "righteous" and the other "worldly?" I'm not sure of the tensile strength of logic, but this twisting just might break it.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When your God is small the world seems big. When you are afraid then your faith is in yourself.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No slam whatsoever. You see Mr. Winky? DHK argued applause was ONLY reserved for men...not God. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Lighten up...

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that's baloney. Although this is an 'old' topic on this board, I will still say the songs or speeches being sung or said that get the most and the loudest "Amen"s are the portions which are sung or said the loudest, with the greatest display of voice range, and those with the most arrogant tones.

It's only a slightly different topic that "Amen" is said, or shouted, at inappropriate times, considering that the word means "let it be so." Example: An evangelist shouts "Reject Christ and continue in your sin and you're going to HELL!" -- that will incite shouts of "Amen!!" Do those who shout that really what he just said to be so? So actually, applauding a statement like that would be at least as appropriate; and more so if you know what Amen really means.