1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Baptist Men Male Chauvanists?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I hope I spelled the word Chauvanists right.

I'm asking this question because I dont really know much at all, in fact next to nothing about the Baptist church and its beliefs.

I guess that they must believe in water baptism by immersion. Any other outstanding beliefs they have that are really different from other denominations? and what is an Ana Baptist?

The only other thing I noticed is a few comments now and then about women "being silent in church" and so on.

And so I just thought I would come out and ask, out of curiosity.

I also noticed there arent many women on here... but maybe there are in the Baptist sections though.

I remember in my own church one time, a baptist and his wife joined our denomination and it seemed like she hardly ever said anything which I thought was strange.

I remember talking to a lawyer in his office one time too about a case involving a woman being seduced into adultery by a minister who used the Bible and hypnosis to do it... and the lawyer told me, "oh this ladie's case would never be won in this town, because of all the Baptist men who would be on the jury"

so I just wanted to know the general outlook Baptist men have towards women. and is that the only bible verse they base it on, is the one about women being silent in church?

Claudia

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

by the way, just kidding about the Chauvanist title.I didnt know what else to call it.

Claudia

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Claudia,

Your post is offensive to me...I'm a Baptist that honors women in general and my wife in particular. The only point I see to your post is to inflame emotions...that's not necessary.

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

rbell,

well the bible tells us not to be easily offended. I already said I was just kidding, look up. anyway why cant you just say No we are not and then explain your position?

Its like everybody has to walk around on eggshells these days trying to be politcally correct so as to not offend anybody. Lighten up.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Claudia,
    There are some groups within the umbrella of the "Baptist" denomination that believe like you indicated, but in my experience, that is not the norm at all. I am Southern Baptist through and through, and we hold that both gneders are equal and gifted by God.

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

its just that my husband is an ordained Baptist minister and he's one so I wondered if they were all that way and if there was a biblical cause for it? But I cant ask him anything because he's so easily offended about everything. (I think Im seeing a pattern here) LOL

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Tater Tot,

what is the difference between a Southern Baptists beliefs and the others? and whats a "Regular" Baptist? I saw that on a church sign the other day

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

and just wondering, I always thought Southerers were kind of more "traditional" so you'd think that they would lean more toward the me tarzan you jane thing, wouldnt you?

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

My husband is an old Baptist (I mean he's been one forever), and he's never been chauvanistic. I've always felt loved and respected. He is the head of the house without a doubt, but he's kind and generous in a multitude of ways. And I can be quite a handfull and incredibly sassy. (As I'm sure several people round the BB might agree :D )

Have I known Baptist men who were chauvanistic? Yes. But I know many more Baptist men like my husband.

10. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Claudia, did you take the wrong medication today?

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If your husband is an ordained Baptist minister, it seems quite incredible that you would not know their beliefs. Also, I was wondering why anyone would go to a Baptist forum and ask a question like the title of this thread.

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Lol, Claudia. There are so many different brands of Baptists. Anabaptists were early forerunners of many protestant denominations. It is hard to write here in a concise way the differences between the groups, but generally, the differences were originally based on ideas for missionary support. Now it has come to much hair splitting over dumb issues (IMO) such as cutting hair, women speaking, wearing pants...much of which (also IMO) stems from a lack of ability to rightly divide the word of truth. Many of us here disagree with each other and can discuss these things in a civil manner. And I think that is good. There are some who get a little red around the gills, lol, so you may see some harsh responses to your thread.

About Tarzan?Jane, I dont quite follow ya there.

13. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

My husband's grandfather was an Independent Baptist preacher. My husband grew up in Independent Baptist churches. I'm more "chauvinistic" than he is!! [​IMG]

14. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

sorry - double post

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

TaterTot

by cutting hair you mean women should keep their hair long, right? thats strange because in my church (Seventh Day Adventist) they dont ever say anything about women cutting their hair but some do think women shouldnt wear pants though.

Ours is considered a very conservative type denomination so you'd think they'd go for the not cutting the hair thing too.

Theres alot of arguements in my church too about women pastors, etc...

I think Im just curious how a denomination goes about coming up with an entire set of beliefs to go by.

by my Tarzan/Jane remark I meant "Im Tarzan, you Jane, Im the man and you're the woman and dont ever forget it, stay in your place"...

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Pamela,

Thats funny [​IMG] I wondered too how the women all feel about the whole thing and if they go along with it willingly or grudgingly.

17. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

no, I personally dont believe that about the hair. It being a woman's glory doesnt mean it has to be long, but thats a whole other can of worms, I know.

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

actually in my denomination (SDA), as many of you know, we have Ellen White who is a woman of course and who we think of as a "Messenger" of God or our church prophet... so we cant actually go by the women should be silent in church thing, really, actually the new testament and old both talk about women prophetesses..

On the other hand EG White made statements like that God favors the judgment of the man if there is a difference between husband and wife,,, etc,,, but she also counsels women to not submit their independence of conscience and everything to their husbands...

19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

then theres the hair covering thing on women too, but Im not really sure what denominations as a whole believe in that

20. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Dustin,

actually I took less medicines today then I had ben taking, thats scary, come to think of it, maybe the goofiness it causes is becoming a part of my very being.