1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Carnal Christians Those Who Chose to Not Submit To Spirit But To Flesh?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

[/QUOTE]

First, I agree with what you are getting at DHK. However I just have one notation to make.. in 2 Pet 2:7 when it says that God 'delivered just Lot.." it appears you are saying God delivered 'just or only' Lot. IF that is the case ...

The word 'just' here means righteous not only. God delivered Lot and his daughters so it can not mean 'only or just' Lot. However the context validates the meaning of 'righteous' as the rest of the verse states that Lot was vexed or distressed with the lifestyles of the wicked.

However, if that was not what you meant.. never mind :)

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I appreciate your honesty.
    Study carefully and you will find that each chapter is written with a different purpose in mind. Chapters five and six are closely connected as chapter six begins by answering the charge of antinomianism given at the end of chapter five. He then gives the picture of baptism and what it symbolizes. Concentrating on the aspect of death, he carries that over to how we should be dead to sin and expounds on that. He ends with verse 23, the wages of sin is death.

Roman 7 is a clear break as he starts out with an example of the law, how a woman is bound in marriage by the law, until her husband dies. Not until her husband dies is she free from the law. That picture in and of itself should set the stage that Paul is speaking to believers. Both are under the Mosaic law. Both are God's chosen people. It is a picture.

The purpose of the law is to lead us to Christ. We cannot keep the law. The law shows us our sin, our exceeding sinfulness. This is what Paul found. Compared to the law--"It is no more I, but sin that dwells in me." the more that he tried to keep the law (even as a Christian), the more he failed. There were the two natures struggling in him, one against the other. The one urged him to do the things that he didn't want to do. He spends a lot of time on that, because he knows we struggle with it. He cries out near the end of the chapter:

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? (Romans 7:24)
    --And that is what many of us feel like--a wretch before a holy God. Which one of us deserve to stand before a God as holy as God is holy? None of us. We are guilty sinners. He is just and holy. We have nothing to offer. What is the answer?
    He gives it in the very next verse:

I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. (Romans 7:25)
    --And this is how I must conquer my flesh, my old nature, throughout my Christian life.
    From this point he goes into chapter 8 and gives a wonderful exposition of how our life is in Christ, and it is a victorious Christian life, a life that can never be separated from the love of God.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Thanks for clarifying my ambiguity. :)