1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are Saints Called to Preach/Share the Gospel?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonShaff, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is interesting as it is well known, and not just a characterization, That "reformed", Calvinists, and especially Primitive Baptist are typically anti- soul-winning. It has only been in recent years that the younger guys have been more evangelistic.

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revmitchell... I am a Primitive Baptist of (The Old Line/Old School) and I am insulted by that remark and I've been one for over 50 years... We share the gospel and we leave the soul-winning to the Holy Spirit as we have no control over changing a mans heart... It has only been in recent years that the younger guys have been more evangelistic... I wouldn't say that either but that the Lord has opened up the way... We don't go unless we are sent and asked for... I will let other Primitive Baptist brethren address this issue as they may have a different take on it than me but that is mine... Brother Glen

#22 tyndale1946, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever shared the gospel on a random trip to the store?

4. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not walk up to a stranger at random and share the gospel if that is what you mean?... But I have been sitting down reading my Bible and will get into a conversation with someone who is interested and the conversation goes from there... Brother Glen

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not trying to insult anyone but that is a fact. It has been widely known ever since I can remember.

6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is true what you have heard and if other Primitive Baptist brethren want to discuss this further they are free to... As for me I apologize for flying off the handle... Brother Glen

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm saying this in love...but bad doctrine promotes bad practice. You've been saved for 50 years and have never shared the gospel to a stranger intentionally?

That isn't right.

Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

Please, go share the gospel with the lost. Tell them that their sins have been atoned for by the Blood of the Resurrected Savior Jesus Christ.

8. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

I let my walking do the talking... It has worked so far!... I let the Lord do the saving... Who then can be saved?... With men it is impossible... But with God... All things are possible!... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1
  9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Corinthians 4:3-7 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
    In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
    For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
    For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
    But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Let The Light shine brother. Share Jesus.

Don't hide Him under a bushel. Don't hide Him in the church house.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Living the life of a Christian is not fulfilling the great commission. The gospel has to be preached from the word of God. Those who are lost must call on the name of God and confess with their mouth and believe in their heart the Jesus is Lord.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is the great commission and I have been up and about my Fathers business... Because brethren the gospel is not just written words but living... Brother Glen

Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

12. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Hi Brother Jon,

The "one another" in Hebrews 10:24 that we are to "provoke unto love" I presume you are using to support sharing the gospel with the unregenerate is in fact undeniably referring to fellow brothers in Christ, not undegenerates, when looked at in context. Here is the preceding verse you left out, "23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)" (Hebrews 10:23) The "us" in this preceding verse shows it is those who have already made a "profession...of faith", is this the unregenerate? Here is verse that follows verse 24 that you also left out by pulling the verse out of context, "25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.". Brother Jon, is verse 25 talking about the assembly of the brethren or the unregenerate?

One who has their sins atoned for is not lost. The word "atonement" is found only one time in the King James New Testament and it is here, "And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement." (Romans 5:11) Notice those who "received" it received it through none other than Jesus Christ. This occurred 2,000 years ago on the cross. It does not say they "received" it through themselves upon hearing the gospel preacher, but by none other than Jesus Christ himself. I do not know much, but I know "our Lord Jesus Christ" by whom we "receive" the atonement, is not me, you, or the gospel preacher, as there is only one Jesus Christ. He either atoned for ones sin on the cross and they end up in heaven or he didn't and they go to eternal damnation.

Also, notice the Greek word used for "atonement" used in Romans 5:11) passage means "reconciliation" or "restoration to favor" per Strong's. (See http://biblehub.com/greek/2643.htm ). Those whom God has made peace ("reconciliation") with and are "restored to favor" cannot by logic be considered "lost". The doctrine of an "atoned" lost person to share the gospel with is an oxymoron term!

Finally, when did this reconciliation take place according to scripture? Was it upon the individual believing the gospel? The preceding verse mentioning the atonement tells us, "For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life." (Romans 5:9). Notice the reconciliation occurred when we were "enemies of God" and it was "by the death of his Son", not at the time the gospel preacher arrived on the scene or by faith in the gospel, but "by the dead of his Son".

Here is a good in depth article on the doctrine of "atonement" I would recommend it to anyone who has the time and are interested in studying further by Elder Samuel Trott. http://www.asweetsavor.info/est/atonement.php

God bless,

Brother Joe

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you have misunderstood me. I used Hebrews 10:24 to help you guys understand I'm telling you this in Love, to provoke you to Good works.

Look brother, you guys can type pages and pages of excuses for why you don't proclaim the Goodness of our Savior Jesus Christ with you words and it won't matter. Two things don't want you to share the Gospel. The Flesh and satan. If you have beliefs that cause you to Not share the Gospel then it is either a man made doctrine or it is of the devil. Period.

14. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
    For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
    But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BrotherJoseph

I never said one should not share the gospel. What post did I say that on in this thread? Please cite it. I said the gospel is for His sheep, for the regenerate. I share the gospel with folks on this forum, but evidently that only counts if they are unregenerate per your theology.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
    Rom 10:11 For the Scripture says, "Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame."
    Rom 10:12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him.
    Rom 10:13 For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
    Rom 10:14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?
    Rom 10:15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!"
    Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?"
    Rom 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BrotherJoseph

Also very interesting that any reader of this thread can see, I have supported each and every one of my posts with scripture, but never receive any rebuttals from you or Rev Mitchell quoting and replying to my posts?

18. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Gospel is God's Redemptive plan through Christ. His sheep are saved because of it and through it His sheep grow in their knowledge of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Gospel started before the world was created and the Gospel is what will restore what God wills. Christ is the Gospel. The Gospel saves, sanctifies and glorifies. The Good news that God's Justice was satisfied on the Cross of Calvary and Eden is Opened back up to sinner and A relationship Can now be had with God again through our Lord Jesus Christ. Who are you to say who is the "elect?" Only those that show up at your church? Hog wash. I would love to know how you got so far from the simplicity of the Gospel? Your theology sounds like mysticism...that truth will just pop into one's head and they will just find themselves at the door of a church, ready to be discipled. I have news for you brother, the ministry doesn't work like that. Did Our Christ not give us a parable to explain the reality of our calling?

Hit up the Highway and the Hedges and compel them to come in. Come in to the "church house?" NO!! To enter into the Kingdom of God, To have their sins forgiven and given a New Spirit and a New Heart so they can see the Kingdom of God and The Glorious Christ who paid the penalty for their sins. God's righteousness is revealed through the Glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is Good news to be believed, it is good news to be shared, it is good news to be obeyed. Sinners become Saints through the Glorious Gospel of Our Lord Jesus.

19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't see your reply to this?

20. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And for the Record...We are talking about Sharing the Gospel with Lost people.