1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are these guys Baptists?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Eladar, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Frank

Frank New Member

Tuor:
    There are a number of things Max has said that do not add up. He once said, I would make a good baptist." Later, he expressed remorse for his statement. Perhaps, if it is the case he teaches and practices this error, he will in like kind express his remorse for this error. I pray that he does.

2. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I was not commenting on the correctness of what they were doing. I was just stating that CoC are like Baptists in that each congregation is autonomous. [​IMG]

3. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

On that we agree Tuor. [​IMG]

4. Frank

Frank New Member

Tuor:
    I agree congregations are autonomous. However, I do not understand why a congregation, claiming autonomy, would see a need to be a part of an eclesiastical organization or council. This would seems to limit autonomy.

5. Eladar

Eladar New Member

If each congregation is autonomous, and there are those who will take advantage of it, then the name on the building is meaningless. It seems to me that within all denominations there are those who are pushing the envelopes, therefore I'd say that in this day and age names are meaningless.

Frank and Kiffin,

I'm afraid that Max Lucado is correct, in reality there need be no difference between Church of Christ and Baptists. I'm not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing, I'm just saying that not many people would like it.

(By the way, I believe the most conservative Baptists and CoC believe pretty much the same thing too)

6. Frank

Frank New Member

Tuor:
    We have some members of our congregation who are married to baptists. They tell me that there is a vast difference in doctrine, especially as it pertains to salvation and worship. I do share your desire that ALL MEN be united in the name of Christ. However, this desire and prayer, at present, are far from being reality.

As for Max Lucado, I stopped buying his books several years ago. This was in response to his erroneous teaching about salvation. I am not aware of his stance today. However, to my knowledge he has not repented of his teaching.

7. Eladar

Eladar New Member

The vast difference is all in how you look at it.

Yes, the 'magic words' that is said as one is being baptised is different, but both Baptists and CoC baptise people into Christ.

Both conservative groups require baptism, true for different reasons, but they both require baptism.

As far as how the worship service goes, that really shouldn't be that big a deal. Both groups use grape juice and crackers for the Lord's Supper.

I believe there really is more in common between the two groups than either group would care to admit, especially in comparison to the more 'moderate' end of the spectrum.

8. Frank

Frank New Member

Tuor:
    I made my statement about vast differences based on their testimony and, of course, my personal bible study with the tenets of faith for the baptist.
    I do not see Christians as moderate, liberal or conservative. The Bible teaches us one is lost or saved, faithful or unfaithful. My fellowship is based upon scriptural authority and a one's faithfulness to it. Authority of scripture is the only OBJECTIVE standard by which one can truly know the truth. John 8:32. My personal faith and teaching are based on this principle. Scriptural authority would be the basis for me to attempt to reconcile with any religious group. I do believe it is possible. Is it likely? Probably not.

9. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Perhaps your scholarship leads you to believe a certain way about a debatable matter.

But I'm sorry, if you believe that someone is going to heaven or hell based on the issue of instrumental music, then you have studied to the point of absurdity. Instrumental music is a debatable matter at best. We are not to devour each other over debatable matters.

10. Frank

Frank New Member

Tuor:
    What is the basis for your statement about instrumental music? Is it your opinion? Is it based on the authority of Christ? How do you support your statement that my study has led to an absurdity? By what standard do you make this judgment? Is it objective, or just your subjective opinion?

Furthermore, I did not say the use of mechanical instruments would condemn one to hell or save one in heaven. What is your basis for this assertion? How did you make this conclusion? Was it based on something I said, or what the Bible teaches? Don't you think it would be appropriate to at least ask me about my position before you make an assertion about what you think it might be?

I have no regrets to offer on behalf of truth. I regret men refuse to accept it. One can debate any issue. However, sir, instrumental music, for example, is either right or wrong. It cannot be both. There is no such thing as the exclusive middle. The scriptures either authorize it's use, or they do not. If they do, then ALL should use them. If the scriptures do not authorize them, then ALL should reject their use.

I am certainly open to debate this issue with anyone. The objective static standard of truth, the new testament of Christ, will, to the rational mind, settle the issue.

My desire is to practice and teach the new testament of Christ, no more, and no less.

11. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Show me where the Bible says that those who play musical instuments while worshipping God are going to hell.

I can show you where the Bible says that those who are sexually immoral are going to hell.

God is the same God today as He was yesterday as He will be tomorrow. Here is something that speaks about how God looked(s) upon musical instruments in worship:

2 Chronicles 29:25

He then stationed the Levites in the house of the LORD with cymbals, with harps and with lyres, according to the command of David and of Gad the king's seer, and of Nathan the prophet; for the command was from the LORD through His prophets.

12. Frank

Frank New Member

Tuor:
    I am under the Law of Christ. Gal. 6:2,not the law of Moses. David also sacrificed animals, made drink offerings, went to Jerusalem three times a year , gave a tithe of all that he had. I do not do any of these things. WHY? They are not authorized by Christ who has all authority, not Moses or David. Mat. 28:18-20. David also transgressed in his worship by using instruments.

The Bible says in Amos 6:5,  That chant to the sound of the viol, and invent to themselves instruments of musick, like David; It would appear to me David violated the command of God concerning the use of the instrument. Are you seriously expecting someone to accept David, who violated the command of Nathan, as an example to follow?

The simple fact of scripture is that God has not authorized Christians to use mechanical instruments of music in worship. This is the TOTALITY OF EVIDENCE FROM THE NEW TESTAMENT OF CHRIST. Mat. 26:30, Acts 16:24,25, Romans 15:9, I Cor. 14:15, Hebrews 2:12, James 5:13, Col. 3:16, Eph. 5:19.

So, if mechanical instruments are authorized, who authorized them to be used in the new testament worship? How, pray tell,does one know which one to use, and when and where to use it?

Were the instruments Of David used in the temple or outside? How do you know? What were his mechanical inventions? How do you know?

This argument is a feeble attempt to justify a practice unauthorized by Christ. There is no delcared statement, approved example, or necessary inference one is to use them. The static standard of truth does not now, and never will, authorize the use of these inventions of men.

13. Frank

Frank New Member

Tuor:
    I can show you where any sin unrepented is one that will condemn a man to hell. The Bible says in I John 5:17,  All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. In Revelation 21:27, And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life. Jesus said in Luke 13:3,  I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent ye shall all likewise perish.

14. Eladar

Eladar New Member

They are not authorized by Christ?

What a load of manure.

We don't have offerings anymore because Jesus' sacrifice has fulfilled all sacrifice. It has nothing to do with 'authorization'.

As far as David trangressing in his worship by using instruments, you may want to go back and read that scripture again. It says "for the command was from the LORD through His prophets". I put that in bold so that you might see it, but I guess it still got over looked.

Would you please tell me why you believe Amos 6:5 has anything to do with worship? It seems to me that it has to do with wasting time and effort.

Amos 6:4 "You lie on beds inlaid with ivory and lounge on your couches."

Do you also believe that sleeping in beds made of ivory or sitting on a couch will send someone to hell?

For one thing, I don't see where the Bible says anything about the need for 'authorization' to do anything. But if you are going to go off on the 'authorization' thing, why do you sing any new songs? I don't see the authorization in the Bible to sing new songs. Do you have the 'authorization' to use loud speakers in the church? Do you have the authorization to make bath tubs to baptize people in? Do you have the authorization to speak English in the worship service? The Bible was written in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic. Where is the authorization to use any other language? Where is the authorization to pass an offering plate during service?...

I think I made my point. Why stop with just musical instruments?

***Either you can start a new thread on this issue, or for my next response I will***

15. Eladar

Eladar New Member

That's nice, you still haven't shown where playing musical instruments in church is any more sinful than collecting an offering during the service. [​IMG]

16. Frank

Frank New Member

Tuor:
    I asked the question about David and his inventing music to himself. I can also say that II Cor. 29: 25 does not say they used them during the temple worship. This is not implied or declared. In fact, a study of Jewish temple worship will, in fact, teach they were not used during temple worship. You are arguing against yourself with this line of reasoning. The only manure being spread is your absurd assertion the Bible does not mention authority anywhere. Since you like the Old Testament try reading Leviticus 10:1,2. Never mind, I will post it for you. Leviticus 10:1  ¶And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. Jesus said ALL AUTHORITY was his in ALL matters to be taught or practiced. Mat. 28;18-20. The word phrase in his name means authority. If I sign someones'paycheck as my own, I will go to jail, as I do not have the authority to do so. Col. 3:17.

You openly contradict your own premise by quoting II Cor. 29:25 as the authority to use mechanical instruments, yet that word does not appear in the text. So, it is obvious you are appealing to the command of God as authority. Is a command of God an option or a must? Does a command authorize or not?

As for the multitude of items listed such as bathtubs, loudspeakers etc. These items are used in carrying out a lawful command. They are expedients. I Cor. 6:12. One can baptize in a pool, a tub, a river. This may be done because it carries out a lawful command. I Cor. 6:12. One may use a microphone, or loudspeaker, or preach by radio or tv as they used to carry out the lawful command to preach the gospel to all the world. The same could be said of new songs as you say. I would like to know what they are. And, how do you know? which songs are old and which ones are new? The divine requirement in the praise of God is that the praise be by words of Christ that dwell in you richly with all wisdom and communicate a spiritual message. Col. 3:16, Eph. 5:19. This praise is to be understood by each one engage in the praise. It is to be reciprocal. it is also to originate from the mind of yourselves. Therefore, both old and, as you say " new songs" are carrying out the lawful command to sing.