1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are we deceiving children ....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Dec 4, 2013.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you are talking about someone raising their kids in a Godless home, I might agree (Why do you spell G_d, BTW? I've only seen orthodox Jews spell if like this)

I have. That gives more power to the mind than the Spirit.

It doesn't have to be an either / or proposition. Everything you mention we do.

2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is wrong to lie to your children and tell them a fictitious entity with the characteristics of God brings them presents.

The Bible says thou shalt not lie... which is exactly what you are doing.

You know what happens when they find out Santa Clause isn't real? they start questioning God, If I remember correctly in my youth that's what I did..

There is a huge difference between Jesus telling a parable to illustrate truth and flat out lying to your kids to create some sort of sense of thrill.

When you read a fictional book you know it's fictional and that it is only there to tell a story with some value, it's the same thing with a parable. I'm sure the people knew Jesus was not telling literal stories with his parables, I do recall after one of the parables Jesus told the Pharisees knew he was actually talking about them.

3. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My grandparents were Christians. My parents were Christians. I grew up in a very God centered home. I can remember at my Baptist church, when I was a child, we always did our children's Christmas play on the last Sunday night before Christmas. We had an older gentleman named Charlie, who, after the Christmas play was over, would come through the back door of the church dressed as Santa Claus and pass out candy to all the kids. IN CHURCH!

That being said, I know of......NONE...........ZERO..........NADA.................ZILCH.........people that lost their belief in God because of Santa Claus. Sorry, but that's the truth.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pure legalism. Good article against modern day phariseeism...
    http://www.bibleissues.org/lying1.html

#44 webdog, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  5. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awesome! I saw a lawn decoration like that once, I think.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

As a reminder to think about what I'm typing - that it's not just another name or title to be slammed down and not thought twice of, just put out there like the next guy. It actually feels pretty weird to not do so. I tried it for a few years, never did feel right.

If you're already doing all that and it's not a belief, what are we talking about?! LOL

For those saying it's legalism, how on earth do you get "lying about one thing for years is okay and it's legalism to call it wrong?"

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your initial replies in the thread compel one to go to extreme measures to clarify his meaning.

8. DocTrinsoGrace

DocTrinsoGrace New Member

Isn't that pretty close to the definition of deception?

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

If you don't understand plain English, that's my problem??

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about a yes or a no?

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is yours, indubitably, but not for the reason you think.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No thanks. You are not an attorney and I'm not in court. I spent enough time replying in great detail what my position is on an ancient thread that should have been put out of its misery long ago.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't the Santa Claus thread come up every year? Anyway, my take on this is there are degrees of deception and telling kids about Santa Claus barely moves the needle. It's harmless. There's a bunch of curmudgeons and killjoys weighing in on trivial concerns here. "Telling your kids there is a Santa Claus is A SIN!" - - absurd.

So to all you holier-than-thou's out there how would you handle these thorny questions from your child? Remember, don't lie.

10 year old: "Mom, will we see our dog Muffy in heaven after she dies?"

18 year old: "Have you ever smoked pot?"

17 year old: "dad, do you ever wonder what it would be like to have s@x with another woman besides Mom?"

20 year old: "Did you ever drink beer before you turned 21?"

8 year old : "Mom, have you ever lied to Dad?"

12 year old: "Have you ever used the Lord's name when cussing?"

And the classic--Nazi soldiers knock on door of household hiding Anne Frank: " Are you hiding any Jews in your house?"

#53 InTheLight, Dec 10, 2013
  14. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So telling the truth is legalism?

if that's so than I'd rather be legalistic than a sinner any day.

15. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So to all you holier-than-thou's out there how would you handle these thorny questions from your child? Remember, don't lie.

10 year old: "Mom, will we see our dog Muffy in heaven after she dies?"
    I don't know.
    18 year old: "Have you ever smoked pot?"
    Yes and it ruined my life and my relationship with God and the bible says it is a sin.

17 year old: "dad, do you ever wonder what it would be like to have s@x with another woman besides Mom?" Depends on the context/environment, if alone explain that lust is a real problem that some people have a hard time with, explain what Jesus said about looking at a woman to lust after and explain why we need to depend on God to give us victory over these things

20 year old: "Did you ever drink beer before you turned 21?"
    Yes and it ruined my life and relationship with God

8 year old : "Mom, have you ever lied to Dad?"
    Yes and lying is a sin and I shouldn't do that.

12 year old: "Have you ever used the Lord's name when cussing?"
    Yes and that is a sin that we shouldn't do
    And the classic--Nazi soldiers knock on door of household hiding Anne Frank: " Are you hiding any Jews in your house? Personally I would tell the truth, Their life is in God's hands not mine, God put them in that authority and I am to obey authority unless they are asking me to sin, My lying could ruin the testimony of Christ to those in authority that God would want to save them, in instances like this you just have to do right and trust God

Seriously what are you going to do, put a false image of yourself in front of your kids? Kid needs to see that we are humble and willing to admit our mistakes, Parents are still human and make mistakes and shame on you if you lie to your kids to hide your own sins. God honors those who are humble, and it takes humility to admit your failures in front of your kids.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then your answer is yes. You teach your children to believe in Santa Claus.

What would be the counsel of Christ and His Apostles?

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thorny? These are easy—for Calvinists, anyway. For you whose acceptance depends upon some sort of inherent goodness, I would understand why your first recourse would be to lie.

#57 Aaron, Dec 10, 2013
  18. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "OMG (oh my glob), your kids believe in Santa Claus! How dare you call yourself a Christian!"
    "OMG, your kids don't believe in Santa Claus! Legalist!"

It's perfectly fine to agree to disagree, y'know. Our opinions don't need to be forced on others.:thumbsup:

19. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yep. Isn't the board fun? Hehehe!

It's the bigger picture in question here - not trying to take joy away, because the whole idea can still be had, and much joy and fun along with it too, without the lie. Like I said, the concept, the idea of giving. Having that embodied in a jolly old dude? Why not? It doesn't mean you actually have to teach them it's real to have all that though, right?

I take it you mean anyone who doesn't agree with you...

Your questions aren't thorny. They're just questions kids ask. You sound young. I deal with multiple kids on a regular basis. The questions from kids are all perfectly normal. I work with kids and have had questions asked that would make a street walker pass out. :tonofbricks:

There's no reason to lie about any of the questions to the kids. I've had those, including the drugs and drinking ones (btw, 18 used to be the drinking age) and I don't get your point. You lie about those too?! Why? That's pretty crazy.
    And for the record, here are my answers, but in random order and only to some.

No.
    Yes.
    Glory be.
    Would like to explore that one some more!

Your questions all deal with one time situations and then you jump to a life and death situation. None of these address establishing faith in something that mimics the Christian savior, which is the heart of the original question.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And this from a guy that puts a Santa hat on Moses. Wonder if he was wearing that when he came down from the mountain with the tablets or parted the Red Sea?

Also, when Moses was confronting pharaoh, his quote was "let my people go, ho, ho, ho."

On the serious side, this has got to take the cake for meaningless threads. I raised a family like everyone else here, and IMO, excluding Santa, Easter Bunny, etc, took away from your children a normal and happy part of growing up. It does not take away from Scripture or the Gospel, or Jesus Christ one bit. That is the type of warped thinking that accomplishes nothing. If you had spent as much time telling others about Jesus as you did keeping Santa and the flying reindeer at bay, lots more people would have heard the Gospel.

With all those who believe in KJVO on this board, I would think belief in Santa would be a natural thing.