1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are ya'll being nice to ....

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by menageriekeeper, May 5, 2010.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

JDF, we don't ask where your vacation home is. We only ask if you sometimes stay there. Nor do we ask how much time you spend there. As far as I can tell the only reason we ask that question at all is to avoid double counting.

As for the rest, if you don't like the questions or what the gov is doing with answers there is a better place to complain to than the census worker. Call your representative and complain to him.

Trotter they gave us a minimum of 10 CI EQ's a day rather than an hourly minimum. I may be out of work come tomorrow. Our team has finished our assignment. They may move some of us up to the north of us to a district that is having "problems" but I can't say yes to that until I find out if I can work afternoons. Were I am now we have our daily meetings at 8 in the mornings and I can't be 25 miles away from home at 8 in the morning. I can't be 25 miles away until after noon and preferably after 2. So right now I'm waiting to see the details.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then, the government is wasting my money and invading my privacy on the premise that they need this information to give more money that they're not Constitutionally authorized to dole out to support more programs that the Constitution doesn't authorize, and that "urgently needed" information isn't even going to be available in 72 years? Let them come talk to me in 72 years, then.

But even in 72 years, it's still not going to be any of their business.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what business is that of the government's?

I don't complain to the census worker. I understand that they're just doing a job. I don't blame the individual census workers. Just as a note of trivia, my mother was a census worker back in the 50's and 60's. Coincidentally, she was pregant both times and they sent her up into the hills and hollers under the premise that the moonshiners wouldn't shoot a pregnant woman (true story!)

4. menageriekeeper

LOL JDF! I think stuff like that is still why they send out retired folks and housewives. There have been a couple of houses where I got some very suspicious looks and wondered what they were up too! That is why we don't enter anyone's home unless we are sure it is safe. I've only gone into a couple of homes where the respondent was either visually ill or elderly. LOL, those are the folks it is the hardest to get away from. They like to TALK!

5. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

We're not allowed to ask to enter someone's home, but we can go in if we're invited, but a lot of common sense applies there.

There is some bad news. When they called me for the job they told me it would last about 3 months. When I took the Oath of Office, our appointments were until June 22. However, our crew wasn't performing as well as others. I was doing fine, my CL told me that I'm the best enumerator in our crew and I have the best numbers. But, because a lot of our crew wasn't doing their jobs as well as they should, they assigned us six new enumerators from their class of replacement enumerators. They also told the slackers to pick up the pace or face disciplinary action. At this point, I'd be surprised if this lasts more than two more weeks.

With that said, there are a couple of possibilities. One is that some nearby crews are having issues and they might give us some of their work. The other is that I think they need more people in the office, and I might be able to be used there. I'd be taking a pay cut to do that, but its better than no job. The Census clerks get $11.75/hr. compared to the $15/hr. I get as an enumerator.

6. FR7 Baptist

My daily meetings are at 10:15 AM with the CL and one or sometimes both of the CLAs. Each enumerator comes in at a different time. It normally takes me 45 minutes or so for the CLAs/CL to check over all of the paperwork, discuss any issues that occurred, and fill out and check the D-308. Does your crew have you all meet at the same time or do you stagger the meeting times like mine?

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, I'm curious. If you, a census worker, encounters a citizen with multiple personalities...do you count all of them?

:D

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if they entered the country legally.:laugh:

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was annoyed that the census worker asked for our names and the names of our children. That's just wrong, imo.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea our current culture is way more private that it once was. The government should respect our culture.

11. FR7 Baptist

If they don't have your names, how will your great-great-grandchildren use Census data to trace their family history when the information is unsealed in 72 years?

12. FR7 Baptist

The constitutional mandate for the Bureau of the Census is to count all residents, regardless of legal status.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey there young fella.....try better reading comprehension. And Happy belated B-day

#93 Revmitchell, May 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  14. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why would you let them in at all? Is going inside part of their job? Keep outside let them mark "refused" that is their job.

15. FR7 Baptist

Thank you! BTW, I know you were joking with your other post.

16. FR7 Baptist

To answer your question, we don't need to come inside your house and we're not allowed to ask. If you offer, we can come inside if we believe the situation is safe. You might let "them" in as a matter of courtesy if it's raining or hot outside, etc. With that said, we will never ask to come inside and I certainly don't expect a resident to invite me in. And even if you choose to commit a federal crime by refusing to provide the information, be polite about it. If I have a refusal, I'm not going to argue about it with them; I just tell them I'll report the refusal and then I leave. Keep in mind that if you refuse and you're rude about it, that goes on the D-225 and how I write it up determines, to a large extent, what action we take. Also, you will be counted whether you like it or not. If you refuse, we already know you're there. We have other techniques to get information. I had one person get nasty and refuse at an apartment complex. That's okay because the apartment manager gave me the number of residents in that unit, her and her kids' names, sex, dates of birth, how they're related, if they are Hispanic, and race. I also got all that information for those who I was not able to contact after 3 attempts, once on a weekday, once on a weekend, and once on a weekday evening. I've heard of the Bureau having the mailman dig through their mail to get the residents' names, but I haven't seen it happen here. (It has to be a Post Office employee doing it and then giving that information to the enumerator. The Census Bureau is not allowed to mess with your mail or put anything in your mailbox.) We will also interview your neighbors to get your information. Plus we can also do a reverse phone number lookup based on your address and get your name that way if you have a listed number, because your name and number show up together.

17. menageriekeeper

I can't remember a census when they didn't ask for names. As Paul suggests, Census records are great for historical research once they are released 72 years from the time they were taken. Matter of fact, I'm quite interested in looking up some of the ones from my grandparents day and on back as on one side of the family we can only find data from a couple of generations and on the other there was a family split and a name change and no one alive seems to remember what the original name was.

Split personality? Well, I don't ask questions. If'n someone comes to the door and says Mary, Joe and Frank all live in his house and he can come up with a relationship to himself, b'days and races, I'm gonna write them down!! The presumption is that the citizen is always being truthful, split personality or not.

However, if I really think someone might be a little, shall we say confused? Then I might check with his neighbors just for a little confirmation. Had to that once. Not because of a split personality but just because the person seemed a little confused. He was really nice though, another talker, just couldn't remember exactly when he had moved into the address.

Paul, we all meet at the same time. I don't mind the early meeting, cause it is HOT and meeting early allows me to get in a couple of hours of work before I go home to do school with my kids. Then I go back out in the afternoon. I can get in around 6 hours a day that way. Having to meet early 25 miles away though is going to cause mass changes in my morning and homeschool routines. I don't know if I want to do that.

Today's news was that some of the more local crews are having difficulties, so some of our team are headed over tomorrow to help them out while the rest of us finish our area. I've done 4 AA books in the last 2 weeks, not bad for only working about 25 hours a week. Only had one EQ I had to hand over to someone with an even stronger personality than my own. And the description the worker gave of that one isn't fit to print on the BB. We went to the neighbors for help with that one.

And speaking of neighbors! LOL, I have learned to love nosy neighbors. :laugh: You want to know who lives in red house on the corner with the purple shutters, the nosy neighbor will know EVERYTHING except b'days. :D I had a blast with one little lady who claimed to 84 but didn't look a day over 65. The person in the house next door to her had been rude enough to shut their blinds and refuse to come to the door when I knocked. So I went next door and that lady not only told me the lowdown on that house but asked if I had any more in the neighborhood I needed taken care of! Well there was just one more. Would have been her backyard neighbor that I couldn't seem to catch at home. Well, I not only found out why I couldn't catch the occupants (they worked over in the next county, meaning they left before daylight and didn't come back till dark), but who the mother of one was and just how the family fit into local society. Hilarious!

I've had a ton of fun doing this job! :laugh:

18. targus

targus New Member

You are sounding like quite the low level bureaucrat here - threatening people.

You are also saying here that there are different penalties for committing this federal crime - one for those who politely refuse to comply and another for those who are rude.

How much time in prision can I get for being rude to you?

#98 targus, May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2010
  19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It was just an emotional response nothing more.

20. menageriekeeper

You can be rude all you want as long as you aren't threatening and give us the information if you know it.

If you are rude and refuse to give the info to "us" the door to door worker and have no neighbor we can go to, then we are going to make note of your behavior so that the next worker that gets your address will be forewarned. We make note simlarly of big dogs and other such nuisances.

Well, it looks like I'm moving toward the north tomorrow into an area where they lost their crew leader and don't have enough enumerators to do the job. I've almost figured out what I have to do to work up there. Ya'll have a good day!