1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you a Baptist elitist?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Daniel David, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

That is, do you find the Baptist faith superior to all others? I know that some on here take a blame Christians first mentality and are highly ecumenical.

However, would you consider being anything else? Charismatic, presbyterian, methodist, etc?

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe that the historic doctrine of most Baptist Churches adhered more closely to Scripture than any other denomination. I am currently a member of a Southern Baptist Church, but as I noted on an earlier topic, I believe that many Southern Baptists Churches have departed from their doctrinal roots. If there were a Reformed Baptist Church or possibly a Primitive Baptist Church in this area I would probably join with them.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if it makes me an elitist or not, but can't imagine being anything but a baptist. For one, I wouldn't want to be told where to go and pastor.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have indeed considered it — and rejected it.

I have a profound respect for the historic Baptist faith and Baptist principles — but problems with lots of people who call themselves Baptists.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My doctrine (reformed) takes precedence over my polity (Baptist). Thankfully I am "reformed baptist" :D so that works out well!

6. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I am Baptist simply because I believe with all my heart they hold the Word of God as supreme and take it for what it says. There are obviously many versions of baptists and we don't play well together.

Nothing else I have seen out there gets it as close to right as the baptists

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I first became a Christian I joined the C&MA church. It was highly missionary minded. In fact that denomination gives more per capita to missions than any other denomination in the U.S. Then after that I joined an independent non-denominational church pastored by an Independent Baptist pastor. Then I joined an Evangelical Free Church. All of them were excellent and highly evangelical, growing churches. They shared their faith and made disciples.

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elite--No, Elect--Yes--

There are those who follow Jesus.

There are those who follow men.

There are those who follow themselves.

To be elect of God is an humbling condition--there is no room for boasting. Eph. 2:8-10.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me..."

Nothing elitist about being truly Baptistic. Our forefathers proved this with their blood.

Selah,

Bro. James

9. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

I too am a reformed Baptist. I think that this kind of Baptist holds the closest doctrine and polity to the New Testament church. However if there were no Baptist churches around I could probably join a PCA church, if I could get over that "baby baptizing" thing. I would never join a charasmatic, or pentecostal church.

10. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen Brother.

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I was first converted in a Bible Baptist Church, 31 years ago.

5 years, 10 months ago, I was baptized into a Primitive Baptist church.

Will remain Primitive Baptist all the way to home.

12. MTA

MTA New Member

The wonderful doctrine of salvation by grace through faith in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, is nowhere proclaimed as clearly or as distinctly as it is in a sound Baptist church. I would never look elsewhere. Many other churches have bits and pieces of the truth and I believe that there are those who are saved in those churches in spite of their doctrine, but I will remain a Baptist and a member of an Old Time Missionary Baptist church as long as they preach the truth.

13. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I have been a member of the same Baptist church all my life. Not looking to switch now. But if anything drastic ever happened and I had to find a church, it wouldn't matter to me if the name "Baptist" wasn't on the sign out front, just so the Gospel was preached in the same way and they practiced believer's baptism.

14. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

There are to many kinds of Baptist to be eletist and Baptist at the same time.Especially from reading what some of the Baptists on this board believe.Some are calvinistic,some arminean,some preterist,pre-trib,mid-trib, and post-trib,some believe in security of the believer ,some don't and the list goes on and on.All of them say they believe what the Bible teaches.
    I am a Baptist.But I say it is more important to be a Christian than it is to be a baptist.When doctrine,theology, or church politics gets in the way of Bible teaching it is God's Word that over rules.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

While I take my adherence to the Baptist Distinctives and the SBC BF&M very seriously, no, I do not consider the Baptist faith in general superior to all other denominations of Christianity. If I were to do so, I would be guilty of the same attitude as the pharasees who prayed "Lord, thank you for not making me like them".
    Many of my family members are Baptist, but most are Reformed (RCA). Were I to ever leave the Baptist fellowship, I would probably join the Reformed Church.

16. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

John, stating that the baptist faith is superior to others does not mirror the attitude of the pharisees. I merely states that we are following the apostles doctrine and the others are (even unknowingly) in rebellion to truth. Pedobaptists are wrong. Their theology of baptism is inferior.

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I would not consider being anything BUT Baptist and would not consider being some sub groups of the Baptist faith. (i.e. Primitive)

18. grace56

grace56 Guest

Sorry to inform you the Baptist Church started in the 1600's in Europe, hardly anthing to get "elitist" about.

saved56

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, a true follower of Christ, one who adheres to the Spirit's instructions.

I think the friendly spirit of this thread is about to go to the dogs again.

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Not on MY part. I gave an example of a group of Baptists that do not fit with my beliefs. Period. I gave an honest answer and could have listed CBF, ABC, Bapticostal and others.