1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You A Calvinist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Aug 20, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. Not sure, or am in transition

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm actually disheartened to see this forum turning into a Calvinist forum since I prefer other topics, so let's see how many consider themselves a Calvinist here.

Please just vote no if you do not consider yourself a Calvinist.

Vote "not sure" if not sure or are transitioning from one position to the other(s).

It might be interesting to see the results.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Marcia, I noticed that you've been a member of BB since 2004.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish we had the old C/A forum.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, that's correct!

I was away for awhile -- from early 2007 until a couple of months ago, but now I'm back!

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I do too, not because I would participate, but because then all the Calvnist threads could go migrate over there!

I participated in the old C/A forum a few times just to see what it was like and what the issues were, as well as what it was like to debate in it. So I've been through the fiery C/A forum and lived! :smilewinkgrin: It was pretty hot in there!

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'm not sure if anyone knows this or not but I don't hold to Calvinism :laugh:

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell it not in Gath!

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That almost sounds like a threat?!? :smilewinkgrin:

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Take the "I" out

"Almost(as in horseshoes and granades) thou persuedest me to become a Christian" and "He went away sorrowful, for he had many possessions"

NOPE---I'm not

And we need to remember that anytime one studies the works of Calvin---they are studying something that is somewhat less than infallable and inerrant!!!

But it is goot to zee zour goot comrade, Marcia back!!!!!

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We also have to remember that studying the works of Calvin has little to nothing to do with being a Calvinist.Most of us came to our convictions through studying the Bible;without so much as a glance at The Institutes'or any other work by Calvin.

11. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Say it ain't so! :rolleyes:

12. Goldie

Goldie New Member

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing, although I haven't been here very long.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hey, I like to keep you on your toes! :laugh:

Posted by blackbird:
    Goot to be back - zank you!

Btw, it's 12 Calvinists and 15 who are not so far.

14. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good Day, Marcia

With in the historical context of the baptist view of what the nick name you use "Calvinisim"

I say Yes I am "Calvinist" for it is the Gospel plain and simple.

CH Spurgeon:

I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel, if we do not preach justification by faith, without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel, unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called, and suffers the children of God to be burned in the fires of damnation after having once believed in Jesus. Such a gospel I abhor.

In Him,

Bill

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, ok, then.

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It depends on what you mean by Calvinist. If you mean Do I believe the Bible? then yes, I am a Calvinist. I find it impossible to be anything without giving up belief in the Bible.

17. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this kind of statement is exactly why I don't participate in the discussions. By inference, then, the rest of us don't believe the Bible--or at least we are immature in our faith, excuse me theology, until we arrive at, yes--Calvinism!

Well I believe the Bible with all of my heart, love it, read it and meditate on it every single day of my life, do my best to obey it. And I've read through the systematic theologies. And I've seen all the arguments and am not a Calvinist and won't become one. Why? Because I believe the Bible. But I'm willing to recognize your Calvinism without saying you don't believe the Bible.

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

John, in Pastor Larry's defense, many arminians refuse to allow themselves to be called such and resort to "Biblicist etc"
    We all claim here to be bible believers.
    But some of us are monergists (Calvinists) and some of us are some form of Arminian (synergists)

The question comes down to this: are we elect because of our decision or God's decision to elect us?

The Bible teaches us that God has chosen us. We did not choose God.
    Therefore I am a calvinist, not because of reading John Calvin since I have never read any of his works.
    I have read what the Bible has to say and it is quite clear that God has chosen us.

Therefore if you are not a calvinist in belief (whether you hold to the name or not) you are not Biblical in this area. It may be ignorance or it may be willful rejection or it may be tradition (most likely) getting in the way.

19. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I have some questions for you folks.

If Calvinism is real, then why should I even try to live right, accept Christ or even witness to anyone?

If my, and your eternity is already predestined, then why even bother with church?

If I am not one of the elect, then why believe Christ, much less trust Him?

If you are one of the elect, and your eternity is secure.....and I not one of the elect and doomed to hell....then why do you go to church? Just to gloat?

Tell me why, if my eternity is predetermined before I was even born,,,,,,why should I spend even one minute wondering about it, or serving a God that either saves me or damns me without giving me a choice?

AJ

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yes, I think those who are not Calvinists do not believe the Bible at some points. That doesn't mean they are going to hell, and it doesn't mean they do not preach the gospel. It simply means that at some points, I think that they do not believe the statements of Scripture. How could it be otherwise?

You have no choice whether you voice it or not. If you think the Bible teaches against Calvinism, then you believe that I don't believe it. I am fine with that. I will rest my case any day against the weight of the scriptural text and have no fear that anyone will ever disprove calvinism.

#20 Pastor Larry, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008