1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are YOU a coward?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Copper, May 24, 2005.

1. OCC

OCC Guest

Hey Jim. Those passages are all correct. Not going to debate them. I will say this though...when Jesus thanked God it was for the miracle of giving all that bread and fish out of only a few pieces, so that the people would believe.

Mt.6:27 was talking about the Lord's Supper.

Now...if you mean we should do all that Jesus did...well, He died on a cross. So...

2. superdave

superdave New Member

"Go and do thou likewise" ;)

I always open my meal blessing in public with "Lord, I thank thee that I am not as these others..." If you don't, than you must be a coward :rolleyes: what a ridiculous topic

3. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's a question: Are we supposed to ask for a blessing, or give thanks? Are we to request something, or tell God thank you?

I always leaned away from the idea of asking for anything at a meal, even blessings, and leaned toward giving thanks. What I usually don't do is say it aloud in public places, esp. if I'm by myself.

But I agree with superdave above.

4. OCC

OCC Guest

LOL superdave.

Humblesmith, I don't know. I tend to just thank God too..but I don't believe we even have to say it. A thankful heart is fine enough without having to come across as super-spiritual. I think of the passage where Jesus says "when you pray, go to your closet and pray in secret..."

5. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

People at the next table: "Hey, does that guy look like he's leaning to you?" [​IMG]

God wants us to go to him with requests. Don't you like it when your kids come to you for things? (unless they're banging on the bathroom door with cookies in their hand)

KJ, You'd be surprised how far you can make food stretch when you have a limited budget. If you could see some of the "meals" that's come out of my oven, you'd consider them miracles that the family would even eat it.

Ever put peanut butter in macarion and cheese? I was concerned for my kids' protein and we had no meat, so I added peanut butter. They ate it and asked for more. The stuff grossed me out.

Some of my meals were burnt sacrifices.

My parents never let me in the kitchen, so when I first got married, I didn't even know how to make pancakes...the kind that come in a bag/just add water. I had to ask my MIL how to cook them when she had insisted I make some pancakes for my husband. (She wasn't being overcommanding...that was her way of making me feel at home while visiting her)

Actually He does want us to folow His example with that, also...only He wants us to be a living sacrifice, holy acceptible unto God, which is our reasonable service. We'd be no good to Him on a cross since we can't possibly save the world that way, but we can be living instruments to spread the Gospel.

And, remember, Paul said, "I die daily", which meant that we sacrifice our flesh...our physical desires for God's service..spend time with the Lord spiritually...concern ourselves with the spiritual welfare of others. I don't think you could name me a sin that does not involve the pleasure of our physical bodies in some way...our tastes (cake...ice cream); our eyes (lust of the eyes); our ears (rock music), etc.

6. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

Before I tell you what we do in public.

Let me point out that some of you are going to like this and probably do the same.

Others will not like it at all.

Typically before we eat, we pray both in public and in private.

Sometimes in public when the waiter or waitress brings our meal, they usually ask... "is there anything else I can get you?"

When they ask this, without making a show of it, I simply tell them, it is our practice to ask a blessing before our meal, and then I ask if there is something that we can pray for with them or for them. No one has ever turned me down. It is also a great opportunity to start witnessing to that person.

The witnessing usually takes place over a period of time. (Remember they are at work)

I do not do this everytime, just when I believe that I am being led to do this.

Some of the people I have met, give me prayer requests whenever they see me.

God Bless

7. yeshua4me2

yeshua4me2 New Member

i understand Victory...when i first go married my wife caught the apartment on fire re-heating pizza (still in the box...lol) in the oven......she was never allowed in the kitchen, but "un-luckily" for me i had been cooking since my mom died 10 years earlier.....still do most of the cooking 11 years later...lol.

i never thought of anyone as a coward for not praying (outloud) in public, indeed i can think of places where i would not want the pearls of my prayer to be heard by the surrounding people. not because i am afraid to be mocked, but because i HATE to see people mocking my (and your) Savior.

But i do know cowards who claim to be Christian, who run when Jesus is mentioned in public....i have friends that hate to go anywhere with me (like wal-mart or the like), because, they say and i for the most part agree, that i have only one suject.....the Gospel, and the Bible. i think that if a person is cowardly about sharing their faith....if it was me and it once was....then they should check their faith.

thankyou and God Bless

btw i have other subjects....i like star trek...lol....no one wants to talk about that either...lol