1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are you KJV Only? TR Only? Which versions of these is the ONE?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by humblethinker, Aug 2, 2012.

1. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

KJVo authors typically state that the KJV is nearly indistinct from the Geneva because they refuse to admit the truth. The Geneva was the perfect, preserved Word of God before King James took it upon himself to retranslate God's Word into English & put his own name on it. His Bible was the an arrogant king's contemporary version to the established Geneva Bible. His Bible was a government publication by a king who believed in the "divine right of kings" to act, without accountability, as a god on earth. It's interesting that some believers worship a man from whom the believers of his day fled.

The Geneva was the Reformers Bible & the KJB was the Bible of the state that was rejected by the baptists & reformers of the day. There was no need for the KJV or any of its versions, since God had already delivered His preserved Word in English. If the KJV is the ONLY preserved Word, then God did not preserve His Word for man throughout the ages. There were REAL believers & martyrs involved in the preservation of His Word LONG before King James came along.

The Church experienced freedom & flourished in areas where the Geneva Bible was used, & she saw great persecution where King James' bible was published. William Shakespeare, John Bunyan, John Milton, the Pilgrims who landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620, and other luminaries of that era used the Geneva Bible exclusively.

#41 michael-acts17:11, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Let me explain the parable of automobiles: the modern conveniences and safety features are the 400 years of additional biblical and historical scholarship from archeological finds and additional manuscript discoveries (which lead to increased insight into the ancient languages).

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Not so. For example, there is a generous amount of scholarship (if you care enough to search for it) on the biblical citations found in Shakespeare and they are NOT exclusively from the Geneva.

4. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Bro.Greg,
    I understand your decision and the sentimate of your comments. My heart and prayers are with you. IMO, this KJV preference should NOT be a matter of separation for Christians or fellow local church members. I do believe that your estimation (your reason #1), that the KJV faithfully represents God's word and is completly sufficient for our instruction and encouragement for living a Godly life and to grow in faith is legitimate and worthy of holding. I still use and refer to the KJV. Our life of relationship to God and others is not worthy of the bickering and discouragement that this issue has brought our churches and our reputation to the world. Your attitude of humbleness and trust in God is an example for us to respect and emulate.

In none of these discussions would I intend that our confidence in God be removed. When I first started to seriously look into this issue it was a fearful endeavor... I felt like I was being disloyal and as though I was making an accusation against God's character. It was hard for me to separate familiarity, tradition, loyalty to others, and the comfort of certainty from God and my relationship to him. That is, to even consider, much less come to the conclusion, that there were other translations that faithfully represented (and some even more) God's word was to admit that I have believed a lie for most of my life and that all the people I cared about had also. If this were true then what did that say about them? In making this 'journey' I knew that all of my relationships were at stake... not because I would cut them off but because 'they' would cut me off. The issue is an emotional issue for me and so I must try to understate my feelings, if you know what I mean. I hope you will follow along in this and other threads on the subject. I would hope that you will stay confident in the KJV, but maybe just in a nuanced way. The reason for my handle, 'humblethinker' is due in large part to this kjvo journey. I have much more to share but I've gotta take it slow.

My prayers are with you in your current struggle.:praying:

5. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Thank you for your prayer! I am genuinely touched. Written sincere prayer is a rare observance on this board and you've blessed me with your words and thoughts and I am in agreement in them for both of us.

I understand that you didn't intend for me to eat my words. :) It's funny to me how that we all understand each other as much as we do! In most of my posts I try to be irenic and so if my comments can be taken irenically then please know that that is what I am shooting for (hmmm.... but I do appreciate irony and sarcasm!). I recognize that I have at times spoken out of turn though, but I like to think I'd own-up to it if someone were to call me out on it. I share your grief when people in respected positions are slanderous and presumptuous of other people's intent and character.

I hope to share more soon (maybe in a different thread though) and am interested in hearing more of yours.

The following are two videos I first watched when I started looking into the King James Only controversy. Please forgive the 'throwback' to the 1990's but it is still an excellent representation of what I now believe.

Bible Translation Issue #1: Origins & Impact of the "King James Bible Onlyism" Heresy

Bible Translation Issue #2: Does the 1611 King James Correct the Original Greek & Hebrew?

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A KJVO would HAVE to also include the geneva Bible as being seen in same light , based upon the criterias!

For me, the Lord preserved his original texts pretty much today in the greek/hebrew sources that translations rely upon, so would say the KJV/Geneva are both word of God to us today, but so are the NIV/Nasb etc!

7. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I like the NKJV. I also have a 1611 KJV minus apocrypha, some newer KJV, an ESV, 2 NIV, a Int. Children's Bible. I would like to get a 1560 and 1599 Geneva also

The NKJV is picked up and used about 95% of the time.