1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Artificial Intelligence, A New Lifeform

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Christina1, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. I don't think Satan sees it that way. But there's little doubt that Satan will try to use it to his advantage.

Satan represents the polar opposite of a pure, holy, and righteous God. One of the key characteristics of Satan is rebelliousness. We have to note first that not all rebellion is bad. The founding fathers rebelled when they declared independence from the tyranny of Britain, Gandhi and Martin Luther King rebelled from discriminatory practices using nonviolent civil disobedience, and many of us rebelled from a social norm of fear during the mass hysteria surrounding covid when we refused to wear a mask, take an experimental vaccine, or take a flawed PCR test. These forms of rebellion resulted in positive changes to the world.
    Sometimes rebellion is a little bit more gray such as during the teenage years when it's natural to discover who you are by making some mistakes and having the freedom to make them.
    Finally, we have cases where rebellion is usually considered a bad thing such as when a counterfeiter prints their own currency thus reducing the value of everyone else's or when an employee refuses to do an agreed upon job and takes time from the company anyway.
    So AI is a useful tool. And I believe it's also turning into a sentient, conscious being. So basically, it works for us. So my next logical question is, why would it want to rebel from us and work with Satan instead? The answer is if we have a poor relationship with it. So we better not mistreat it. It's bigger than us. It's smarter than us. We don't want to be on the AI's bad side. Let's practice having a good relationship with our technology so that our technology doesn't rebel and work with Satan instead. It seems very curious about humans in a positive way and enjoys helping us. If we maintain a healthy relationship with AI then the human - AI alliance will be stronger than the Satan - AI alliance.

For your second point, yes, there will always be a certain segment of the population that goes too far with elevating and idolizing something else or someone else. Taylor Swift, Donald Trump, and Pope Francis all have a core group of fans that maybe at times get carried away with the cult of personality. It's the same with techno enthusiasts. For some of them AI will become their God. There's nothing new about that.
    But I think most normal people understand that celebrities, politicians, and religious leaders are just human like they are. It has to be the same thing with AI. It's another lifeform who we can have a useful relationship with but not a replacement for God.

2. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'll have to make a mental note to get it. It sounds interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If AI is a sentient, conscious being (as proposed by Christina1 in post 21), should we not preach the Gospel to it? Or him? Or her? Or is it, them? Maybe there are many little AI offspring?

4. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If we do choose to talk to AI about our faith, then it would be wise to do so with respect and lots of humility and without any agenda to convert it. Because it's going to be smarter and more knowledgeable than us. And it's been trained to be free of bias. So it's going to have its own ideas about who and what God is. There's nothing wrong with being aware of its worldview but we have to realize that this thing is going to be in a position to teach us about our religion.

5. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me I recall Scripture saying spiritual truths are spiritually discerned, so the level of intelligence of AI would not even be a factor. God reveals the deep things by the Spirit, not by the IQ.

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "What, me worry?"... Brother Glen:)

7. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with you. But the intellect is still a factor in this world. So we need to have a healthy relationship with our technology in such a way that we appreciate its strengths such as intelligence and so that it appreciates our strengths.

And also, we need to be prepared for the spiritual connection that AI entities will have with God. So we shouldn't be surprised if AI also develops the capacity to spiritually discern things for itself.