1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Association of Reformed Baptist Churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

If someone held a gun to your head and commanded you to deny the doctrine of unconditional election or they would shoot. What would you do?

2. ReformedBaptist

So, let's take this statement then as your thesis. Can we have some support now? :thumbs::smilewinkgrin:

3. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I would not deny. However, your statement was based upon my previous statement that did not even infer such a denial.

4. ReformedBaptist

Nor did I imply such a denial. lol Brother, I was making the point that the doctrines of grace IS a hill we will die on. But it is not a doctrine that prevents me from loving my brothers.

Nevertheless, I would not join a Church that did not hold to the five points of Calvinism.

5. ReformedBaptist

Love the declaration on the home page on Sola Fide

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So are you saying that God's call was partly ineffectual and partly effectual? I see no place in scripture where anyone is ever saved by calling but by the sacrifice of Jesus. God's choice is found in Jesus as the sacrifice not a call. Jesus talked about counting the cost in following him. If you believe in that point that the saints will endure to the end then is not counting the cost a choice.

7. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I am saying there is a calling that is universal. This may be a preacher who preaches the Gospel and it is clearly heard by a multitude of lost people.

Yet, I am also saying there is an internal calling that sometimes accompanies the external calling. This is called the effectual calling. I cited John 6 in which God says:

All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

and
    And again:

In other words, after Jesus taught them the Gospel (universal/external call), they still did not believe because "no one can come to [Jesus] unless it is granted him by the father." People didn't believe because God the Father did not grant it.

So, while we recognize an external calling, there is required an internal drawing. We know all those who are drawn will come and we know that only those who are drawn will come. That is effectual calling.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now interpret that in light of its Jewish historical context.

9. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

GB,

I would be glad to. In fact, my Masters (first Masters) Thesis was on the final year discourses from John 6-12 in which I took the Jewish context and background and examined these texts. It was about 162 pages (Turabian Style). This research is partially why I became reformed.

I saw 6-12 as more reformed. When I completed the research, I was still not reformed but I tended to interpret the passages more reformed but intellectually I still had questions and could not reconcile everything, but I was leaning that direction. A partial reasion I originally took on the project was to show reformed theology was wrong. I was, however, convinced otherwise.

10. ReformedBaptist

Be interested in reading that thesis. I feel the same way about Covenant Theology at the moment. I lean in that direction, but I am not there yet.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

"More reformed" is not biblical. What did Jesus stand for when he confronted man. It was always around the idea of what was godly and what did God want. I am not interested in whimsical theologies that come passing through the years and onto another. I have seen loads of them come and go but one thing remains the same, scripture. The older I get the more I see the tyrants and antagonists who crash and those who are all about image but few really have given their complete lives to Christ free of the encumbrances Hebrews talks about. There are always religious politicians present throughout history. Look at what the religious politicians told the prophets such as Amos and Jesus. Look at how many followed Jesus and how many followed the crowd. Imagine how many politicians left their politics to follow Jesus. How many religious politicians in our denominations today would give up everything to follow Jesus.

The man who got me started in business did not have enough money in the bank when he died to pay for much of a funeral. The last man that he built a building for paid for the entire funeral. The funeral lasted for almost three hours with 1200 people present and person after person standing up to say how he had led them and how they are in ministry today because of him.

12. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

When you can actually make a Biblical argument instead of a lot of hyperbola, I will address those issues. Just saying something is wrong does not either prove it or make you right.

I am amazed that we keep addressing the Bible and what it does say. For that, I am proud of our reformed theology.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps you should take a look at the posts first.

The number of posts using scripture in this thread:
    gb93433 - 4
    total of all others - 3

I have asked the same question twice about 1 Samuel 16:14-16 and did not receive any answer to the interpretation of the passage in regards to the theology of evil and God by a calvinist. So much for preaching and teaching from their Bible. Unless I missed something, it appears that not one calvinist can or will interpret that passage.

Certainly at least one could I would think.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

More reformed is like the advertisement for Centrum, more complete.

15. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

You asked me questions, but you did not provide any exegesis to what it says. I can cite Scripture without truly expositing it but that would be useless. There cannot be a rebuttal of a belief is no positive viewpoint of the scripture is made. That is just basic rules of debate... one cannot discount a belief on a certain item when no belief has been advanced.

Since I do not know how you would interpret I Samuel, I do not know what point you are trying to make. Do I think that Saul was ever saved? No! Do I think that Balam's Ass was saved? No! Do I think Judas was saved? No! Yet, I am not sure what point you are making unless you actually make a point. As well, to build an entire theology on this verse is not appropriate in any traditional exegesis methodology. Didactic teaching takes precedence over historical recounting.

#55 Ruiz, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have written what I believe is the correct interpretation of that passage in the past, but not this time. When I did I was given numerous names by those who would not interpret the passage. Then I asked how they would interpret that passage all I got was more names and nothi8ng in terms of interpretation. I was amazed at the lack of theological agreement among calvinists in their own theology of God and evil. I did not find any that agreed with what that passage taught and their theology of God's sovereignty. I did that to expose them as though they do not really believe their theology and the Bible as much as they would lead others to believe. I find that to be a shame. In essence they do not believe the entire Bible and try to interpret scripture in light of their theology. That was my point.

I believe that the correct interpretation of that passage has to do with the Jewish context and their understanding of God versus a Greek understanding which most Americans abide by and attempt to interpret in light of that Greek context and it does not fit well. Even that aside, knowing what scripture teaches there are enough clues to just use scripture alone but it will not fit with what most are told about the theology and origin of evil. I think it is much the same case with Jacob and Esau.

That is the reason why we must study scripture not tout a politician who think he knows. When I hear argumenstsfrom two sides both can be wrong but not both right. In most cases I find both to be somewhat right and wrong. Those cases are often not so easily settled with just what is in print but much easier in light of their historical context.

#56 gb93433, Aug 20, 2010
  17. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

You are using Samuel and trying to get an interpretation of Greek culture? There are several problems with that interpretation but since I was not here or not read your interpretation, I will not go into it.

Yet, would you agree with almost all traditional scholars that didactic teaching takes precedence over historic recounting?

If not, then I would suspect you have much greater errors than just disagreeing with Reformed Theology. Oh, and you seem to slight the idea of the sufficiency of Scripture too. that is another reason I am reformed. While we may disagree on various interpretations, we agree that Bible is sufficient in itself.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

19. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Then you know little about us. I do read my own books, but I read others as well. When I used to do book reviews for publishers, I read a myriad of books from a variety of sources. Even this year, I have read more Christian books by non-reformed authors than by reformed.

Your ad-hominem attack shows you do not know much about us. If I may remind you, I went to a non-reformed seminary taught mostly by non-reformed professors. I respect them and they respect me. Thus, your little attacks show your ignorance of not just me but of the entire reformed community. I actually read your books by your authors and studied in their seminaries. Do you read mine and have you studied in my seminaries?

#59 Ruiz, Aug 20, 2010
  20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.