1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Assumption of Mary

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Ps104_33, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

Nope. Where do you dig this garbage up from? Let me guess? Jack Chick?

2. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

That is incorrect.
    Observe this is what is taught by a church which believes that Mary is the Theotokos

3. FundamentalOnly!

FundamentalOnly! New Member

I would have to say that the church fathers are very interesting, Polycarp was taught by John .

I think that all this pagan talk about Mary is silly, look to Luther, Calvin etc. and see how they honored Mary. Lets see what they said.

Martin Luther

In this work whereby she was made the Mother of God, so many and such great good things were given her that no one can grasp them. ... Not only was Mary the mother of him who is born [in Bethlehem], but of him who, before the world, was eternally born of the Father, from a Mother in time and at the same time man and God. (Weimer's The Works of Luther, English translation by Pelikan, Concordia, St. Louis, v. 7, p. 572.)

" This immaculate and perpetual virginity forms, therefore, the just theme of our eulogy. Such was the work of the Holy Ghost, who at the Conception and birth of the Son so favoured the Virgin Mother as to impart to her fecundity while preserving inviolate her perpetual virginity."9

It is an article of faith that Mary is Mother of the Lord and still a virgin. ... Christ, we believe, came forth from a womb left perfectly intact. (Weimer's The Works of Luther, English translation by Pelikan, Concordia, St. Louis, v. 11, pp. 319-320; v. 6. p. 510.)

John Calvin if you prefer.

It cannot be denied that God in choosing and destining Mary to be the Mother of his Son, granted her the highest honor. ... Elizabeth called Mary Mother of the Lord, because the unity of the person in the two natures of Christ was such that she could have said that the mortal man engendered in the womb of Mary as at the same time the eternal God. (Calvini Opera, Corpus Reformatorum, Braunschweig-Berlin, 1863-1900, v. 45, p. 348, 35.)

Or Ulrich Zwingli

I firmly believe that Mary, according to the words of the gospel as a pure Virgin brought forth for us the Son of God and in childbirth and after childbirth forever remained a pure, intact Virgin. (Zwingli Opera, Corpus Reformatorum, Berlin, 1905, v. 1, p. 424.)

I dont know the offical position of the RCC on Mary, but I think that she was important biblical figure. Not for worship, but respect like we respect, Peter and Paul.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. The Excathedra reuse was not MADE UP until the 1900's by the RCC. So your statement is simply a Red Herring!

#2. IF you can IGNORE Papal statements then ALL OF CATHOLICISM is just "one man's opinion who just so happens to run the place".

#3. The RCC is WAYYYY older than 56 years AS are the mythical texts on the Assumption of Mary - what is your point??? Have you lost it entirely?

In Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "assumption of Mary" is a fabrication that fully demonstrates the lengths of the depraved mind can imagine once the "Sola Scriptura" foundation for doctrine is fully abandoned and the "traditions of man" taught as "doctrine" Mark 7:6-11.