1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters: From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima [Amazon LINK]

by James Mahaffey, Pegasus Books, Feb 2014, 619 ppgs.

Can nuclear accidents be entertaining? James Mahaffey puts the problem in perspective, beginning with a short history of steam trains and their demise. More people were killed by steam engines than by cars or nuclear accidents. …but steam is what it’s all about. Nuclear power generates steam and many of the accidents occurred while learning how to control the enormous power of the atom and limit its potential so that it could be safely used.

Mahaffey’s book definitely was written to convince the general populous that nuclear energy is the power of the future… but he wants you to make that decision.

Easy-to-read and quite entertaining!

Rob

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "nuclear energy is the power of the future" :thumbs: Bill Gates is convinced of it.

Thanks for the review Rob.

If you ever get the chance to see the [on Netflix] documentary 'Pandora’s Promise', it's well worth the time. It's an excellent informative documentary on nuclear power by ex-antinuclear environmentalists now turned pro-nuclear environmentalists.

Did you know that a fingertip sized piece of uranium contains the energy of 5,000 barrels of oil?

Have you heard of the new 4th generation Integral Fast Reactors (IFR) that are basically failsafe and will 'burn' used nuclear waste/fuel?

Debunking nuclear fears, it covers some interesting facts on Three Mile Island, Fukushima, and Chernobyl.

France is way ahead of everyone else in the area of nuclear power (80% electricity from nukes).

Solar and wind is an absolute joke as a replacement for fossil fuel, nuclear could easily do it.

Did you know U.S. has been buying up Russian warheads and using the fuel to generate electricity?

Recommend this for all. There is a new nuclear age coming. The technology is there, very doable

[add]

FYI, I've posted all this before.

#2 kyredneck, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Edward Teller, possibly the finest theoretical physicist ever, once said, "Nuclear energy is not the best possible solution. It is the ONLY possible solution."

He was right.

I also recommend "The Health Hazards of Not Going Nuclear" by Dr. Petr Beckmann, an electrical engineer and physicist.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0911762175/?tag=baptis04-20

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ooooh, I've got that on Netflix!
    I'll think I'll watch it after work on Thursday evening, after fixing a used lawn tractor I picked up and I'll probably be reading another new book while I watch it. :tongue3:

So much to read/watch/do - - so little time.

Rob