1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Attribute of God's Love

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ray Berrian, Dec 15, 2004.

1. whatever

whatever New Member

"But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ ..."

This is simply untrue, and allegations like this make it difficult to be civil.

Perhaps you can explain what "to the praise of his glory" meant in the original Greek. Enlighten me. Please.

[​IMG]

Indeed.

2. Southern

Southern New Member

Mike,
    I do not want to misrepresent you, so could you please explain to me what seems to be a contradiction in your position.

You said :
    Then you say:
    If the Father does not save and the Son "is" the Father, then the Son does "not" save because He is the Father!

Can you please explain this to me?

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

rc,

We do not expect that Calvinistic people would give an honest assessment of someone who believed more like a Five Point Arminian theologically speaking.

I do not believe in Total Depravity because we are even as sinners created in the image of God, and have a mind, soul, conscience and will to either accept God's plan of salvation or the lost may reject Him.

I do believe that every sinner has Original Sin; I cannot for sure say about Finney. Both Pastor Edwards and Finney rejected Biblical truth in some cases because of the tradition taught them or just that they were not mature enough or willing to except what the Lord has said in His Word.

Lawyers, judges, physicians, and bankers along with the regular people love to hear his oratory.
    The lawyers loved to hear him preach because he was so convincing in bring men and women to a place of personal decision as to their faith. One said, 'I have heard manly celebrated pulpit orators in various parts of the world. Taking all in all, I have never hear the superior of Charles G. Finney.'

In my thinking four out of the five points of Calvinism are false teachings. Some gentlemen do teach it as if it were the truth. God will judge each one for their erring interpretations. I do believe that once God gives a sinner everlasting life that He will not renege on His covenant with the Christian.

Anyone who teaches the first four points of Calvinism to me is a false teacher and witness to His Gospel. I hate to use the word, heretic, because some are just misguided. I will have to study and review the term heretic. At least we plus Finney and Edwards believe in the deity of Christ and the holy Trinity.

Some Calvinists hate Finney because he taught the deeper life in Christ and were and some are not even now as deep as he was in the understanding of the faith of Jesus.

I believe we have more tools, if you will, in our day to understand His truth; we are without excuse when we teach other weaker Christians false teaching and on top of it all, tell them this is the Gospel truth.

4. Southern

Southern New Member

Ray,

If you are saying that you believe man can do whatever he wants, then no one will deny that. But if you are saying that sinners can do anything, is more than the scriptures will afford.
    There are many things that the Bible says a sinner can't do and that is come to Jesus (John 6:44) because He would have to accept the things of the Spirit which a sinner will not do because he does not want to (1 Cor. 2:14).

In Christ

5. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Then to be fair, we must conclude Arminians can not give an honest assessement of Five Point Calvinists. :rolleyes:

I'll remember this the next time you post about John Calvin, Augustine, et.al.

6. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Would you go for Total Unability?

It's all or none Ray, taking any one away God is no longer a Sovereign God.

That is a strong statement. Something tells me you gonna have to eat them words one of these days.

Did you get my lastest e-mail on those OT Scriptures?

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Southern,

I realize that this will not or does not want to register on the mind and in the heart of some Calvinists, but nevertheless, when the Holy Spirit moves on the lives of those who hear the truth of the Gospel [John 16:7-11] they have enough perception because of the ‘image of God’ in man [Genesis 9:6 & James 3:9] Adam was created in ‘the image of God’ before the Fall [Genesis 1:26-27; 5:1] And after the Fall we find God continuing to create men and women in the ‘image of God,’ [Genesis 9:6]

If the people living during Noah’s era had no ability to respond to Noah’s preaching, he would have had to be proclaiming His message to the birds. In 9:6 Noah and human civilization were still born in the ‘image of God.’

If the Genesis event was 4,000 years B.C. and James wrote 3:9 in 60 A.D. you can readily understand that the Lord has always caused men to be born in the ‘image of God.’

So when the Holy Spirit approaches the sinner with the truth they are in a prime setting to turn from their sins, because of the aid of the Spirit of God. This in Biblical terms is called repentance.

The spirit of sinner’s is not so brutalized that they cannot be receptive to the calling of the Holy Spirit. God the Spirit works through many ways and through different people both laity and clergy.

The Holy Spirit comes to convict, convince and to plead in the life of the lost ones of their need to receive Jesus, through their mind, soul, conscience and will, without indwelling said person. Without this ministry of God the Spirit, sinners will take no heed to their peril which will lead to everlasting destruction in the Lake of Fire.

As we read the Scriptures this safeguards the Godhead from being an Autocrat or Divine Despot in manipulating men and women into the alleged Effectual Call. This being true He maintains and does not waver from His Divine attribute of love, justice and mercy, nor does He show favortism. [Deuteronomy 10:17 & Romans 2:11]

'The Lord our God is a God of all gods, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, no does He take rewards.' I do not see in Deuteronomy ten that He is impartial, except in the matter of His decretive election. Have you found it yet? :confused:

Berrian, Th.D.

8. rc

rc New Member

Ray,

Electing is the VERY REASON why He is NOT a respector of persons! He chooses by His sovereignty not by who man is OR WHAT HE CHOOSES! Ironically, your theology says " God, I choose you so you HAVE to choose me.. THAT'S putting God in the position of being a respector.

Acts 13:48 48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ORDAINED to eternal life believed.

9. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Meaning, as many as believed received eternal life as a free gift of God through their belief. It does not mean that they and they alone were elected or ordained to believe, it means that they out of all who heard the word of God believed, thus it was ordained that they should receive eternal life! JESUS SAID SO! Jesus said "whosoever believeth...shall have eternal life." Jesus ordained eternal life to the believer! He did not, anywhere, ordain any individuals to believe!

John 17 in Jesus' prayer he speaks of those that God gave to him, who are the by description, Apostles of Jesus Christ. Then later in the prayer, verse 20, Jesus includes in his prayer those who would believe the teachings of the elect apostles. These are words out of the mouth of God!

Those in Acts are those who believed the teachings of the Elect Apostles.

10. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Which directly contradicts Acts 13:48.

Acts 13:48: When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

Yes, that is correct, but why did they believe? Who, appointed them to eternal life? According to the Bible, it was the Lord, not the Apostles. The Apostles did not appoint them to believe. The LORD appointed them to believe.

Who opened Lydia's heart?

Acts 16:14 A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul.

Why did Peter and ten of the twelve believe in Jesus?

John 6:65 And He was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father."

"No one" is SINGULAR, "him" is also SINGULAR. Jesus is very clearly speaking about individuals. Not one individual can come to Jesus unless the Father grants it to that individual person.

11. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Ray, citing the image of God in man does a sum total of zero to bolster your position. God can not sin, because it is contrary to His nature, His very character. The image of God is, by definition, to have compatibalist free agency NOT libertine free will. Likewise, man can not will toward His own salvation, because, as a result of the fall, his character prohibits him from doing so. Your model gives man something that God Himself does not have, namely, libertine free will in the sense that man can do things contrary to his intrinsic character. If man is created in God's image, then that is true, because that is true of God's character.

Scripture DOES teach that man DID have libertine free will prior to the fall, because God gave him a free moral choice borne from true innocence. True innocence, by nature, e.g. by definition of its character of not having obeyed or disobeyed at all and not bearing any marks from any ancestors that had died spiritually already, would necessarily have libertine free will. Libertine free will is consistent with the character of innocence.

God is not innocent. Innocent is a judicial term resulting from being justified OR it is a state of not knowing sin of any kind. God does not have libertine free will for that reason. His character is intrinsically righteous, good, holy, just, etc. Therefore He can not sin.

Man is no longer innocent. He fell. "You shall SURELY die." What does God say is man's character? The unregenerate is deceitful and sick (Jer. 17:9), full of evil (Mk 7:21-23), loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19), does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12), is dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1), is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3), cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14). Clearly, man's will can not exceed those parameters, in the same way that God's character can not exceed its parameters, especially since belief in Christ is a command, thus believing is not a morally neutral thing.

However, once that choice was made, man's character was set, and it was set contrary to the character of God. The implication of Scripture is that, had man eaten of the tree of life instead of the tree of knowledge, he would not have fallen and his character would have been locked and set toward God. Your view is ultimately that of true Pelagianism when taken to its logical end.

Appealing to the image of God only reinforces the concept of compatibalist free will, e.g. that man is free only as far as his nature permits him to be free. "Free will" has NEVER been libertine in the way you mean, which is derived from humanism. The one time it was libertine, it was actually compatibalist, because libertine free will is, actually, the nature of an innocent being, which is what compatibalist free will (e.g. free agency) is! God's own will is compatibalist, so is man's, because He was created in God's image. What is man's character? See above.

If Adam and Eve who were not slaves to sin but chose to sin, what makes you think that the unsaved, who are slaves of sin, are going to choose to not sin by choosing God when the Bible says they cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor 2:14) and are haters of God (Rom. 3:10-12)?

There is no "manipulation" in Reformed Theology. What is done is done by sovereign degree. It was Charles Finney that said "Revival is the result of the rightly constituted means." If you're going to bring up "manipulation," then talk to your Pelagian brother, Charles Finney. He literally wrote the book: you know, that Systematic Theology of his from which we quote profusely back to you to show you his errors, but which you, not to our surprise, refuse to read.

The great irony here is that you personally accept eternal security and in the next breath deny compatibalist free agency and accept libertine free will. It is simply contradictory to say that God preserves saved persons to that they are eternally secure and then say that true choices must be free from ALL outside forces in order to be real choices. If that is true, then God IS being an autocrat, and He IS exerting some sort of influence on man's wills so that they can not apostacize. At least classical Arminians are logically consistent. Without efficacious grace, there is no eternal security. Your own beliefs are internally contradictory.

Your version of God is intensely unloving, because, by your own admittance He values men's freedom of will more than He values their lives. He is powerless to save whomever He wishes and leaves it to chance. That is real fatalism. That is truly unloving. If He truly loved men as you say, then he would intervene to be sure all of them are saved, particular since, according to you Jesus paid for all their sins. That is truly unjust too, because then God pays for all their sins then sends them to hell in a malicious game of double jeopardy. That is truly despicable.

The DEFINITION of favoritism is to base your decisions on some kind of intrinsic attribute or action of an individual over and against those of another. The definition of partiality is to say that election is based on who God knows ahead of time will choose Him and who will not.

12. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

GeneMBridges,
    The image of God has nothing to do with sin! It is all about man having many of the characteristics and attributes of divine God who is spirit, because the true essence of man is that man is spirit!

Just as God has attributes including freewill, Love, Grace, Mercy, Justice, etc. Man has all those same attributes available to use, and most men do use them in one way or another. We are spirit in the Image of God's spirit.

Unlike God, who created us, we used our free will to choose to sin, and thus we are all sinners in that we sin. God does not sin! Therefore we are only in the image of God and not ourselves God.

13. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

But God does not have libertine free will, because of His character.

Absolutely, and, just like God, the limits of our free will are the limits of our character.

Wes, ONLY AN TRUE INNOCENT has libertine free will. If our will is free, even at birth, then once we sin, we cease to be innocent, and thus know good and evil.

You give man something that God does not have: LIBERTINE free will. There is NOT ONE LINE of Scripture that supports your contentions. If our wills are like God's they are just like His, free ONLY WITHIN THE CONSTRAINTS OF OUR CHARACTER. If you say man has libertine free will, then, by definition, you do not believe man is in God's image the very way you describe it, unless God also has libertine free will, which you deny that He possesses.

We are DEAD in trespasses in sins before regeneration. God is ALIVE.

You are calling God a liar, because He promised Adam and Eve that if they sinned they would SURELY DIE.

If we are born truly innocent and with libertine free will, then why do all human beings sin?

14. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

This is true that a sinner has Original Sin and has committed sins against God who is holy. Here is where Calvinists would like to say, this is the bottom line. The truth is that though the lost have sinned they are not totally depraved. Within them are all of the necessary skills with which to turn to the Lord in repentance and faith. Sure, sinners sin, but they also have a conscience, mind, body, will and a human spirit that God can speak to with His most convicting and convincing methods. He approaches each lost soul differently. Having said this, this is what makes the Arminian expression of faith the very closest to the truth that you will ever consider.

We do not believe in ‘Howdy Doody’ theology; sinners are not drafted into the Heavenly throng.
    The alleged Effectual Calling is a misnomer.

15. rc

rc New Member

NO, the effectual call is a divine annointing of an almighty, amazing, beautiful, loving savour NOT a begging, pleading, wimpy, defeated, God who is controlled by the will of man.

16. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

GeneMbridges,
    You have added to what I said. I have never included "libertine" as an adjective of free will. Why did you?

Libertine is an ancient Roman term! Are you Catholic?

17. rc

rc New Member

WEs...

God ORDAINED men to believe... answer Gene exegetically on the Acts verse... Is it to hard to understand? I thought you believed in "Just reading scripture SIMPLY".. well .. this is as simple as it gets... God "ordained" who would believe...

18. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

The whole context!
    As the author of Acts, Luke is telling us that many believed and in accordance with God's will they are destined for Eternal life. Once again, there is no indication that the names of those who believed had previously been written from the foundation of the world, but that in accordance with God's plan of salvation through faith, they receive everlasting life.

Luke's thought here is not consistant with the plan of God through Jesus that whosoever believeth in him shall have everlasting life. It is "ordained" by God that there will be many who do believe, because He established salvation through faith from before the foundation of the world. God gave mankind the choice through his command that we believe, so that we alone are the ones who establish our fate (John 3:18) which is that we believe and live or not believe and die! That is the way God established it from before the foundation of the world.

God is not paranoid in that he must set aside "an elect" that has no real choice, by 'ordaining' that they believe in order for his plan to work! His plan works because he established salvation through faith which comes from Hearing his word. He knows how he made man with the ability to choose, and he has given them the choice.

God did set aside those who would do his work in building God's church, and we call them Apostles, prophets, etc. He did not ordain that all who are saved are "pre conditioned to be saved".

19. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

rc,

You said,
    Your humanly devised Effectual Call is an affront to Almighty God. Augustinian Calvinists have always portrayed our Lord as favoring His elect and denying eternal life to the remaining sinners. No one really believes this theory. Jesus is never prejudicial toward human beings who are created in the ‘image of God.’ No where in Scripture is God shown as giving out a little love and justice to certain humans, while denying ‘God so loved. . . ’ to the remaining lost ones. [John 3:16]

And I think portraying our Lord as ‘wimpy’ is clearly sacrilegious even from a sinner’s
    viewpoint, who is created after the likeness of God. [James 3:9]

Revelation 3:20 shows that Jesus waits and knocks at the heart’s door before He reenters the lives of believers or His church. I hope I have chosen the most simple example to show you so you can get past your ingested error. If you call Jesus standing at the heart’s door, ‘begging, pleading, defeated or God who is controlled by the will of a sinner’ then this is your perspective of things.

I just do not see in Revelation 3:20 where Jesus directs His angels to use a ‘battering ram’ at the door of a lost sinner.

‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me.’

If you have teenage children or grandchildren they can probably explain to you that it is Jesus who knocks. The word ‘if’ suggests something conditional. And they would tell you that only if the person ‘hears’ His knock of conviction and desire, it is then that he has a choice as to whether he will or will not open the door to his life.

Your Effectual Call to the relative few is only a misrepresentation of God through His alleged, battering ram mind set toward His chosen.

Merry Christmas brother!

20. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

one other thought on "the Acts passage" rc
    How is that? by hearing and believing. Was the whole countryside the elect of God too? Or was it only those specified in the biblical illustration that were 'ordained'?