1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Average age of your membership

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Gina B, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It seems to me that the average age of those in Baptist churches is rising. There are no longer a number of couples with young children, most of the kids in programs are brought in by outreach ministries and bussed in.
    Is it all in my head or is this pretty accurate in the areas where you live? In the churches I've seen out here it seems there are a very few young couples, then middle ages with teens/adult children, and then fewer seniors, although more of them than of young couples.
    And...the young couples that ARE there usually have only one or two children.
    The only exception to this was one where there was about an equal number of everyone and most people had an average of 3-6 kids in their family. (and all the kids attended church with their families instead of children's church, and were well behaved!)
    Gina

2. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

Most of our membership are married folks in their 30's & 40's with lots of kids. A few are in their 50's and 60's. We're still a fairly new church started 7 years ago.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The demographics ARE changing, Gina. Why? US BABY BOOMERS ARE GROWING UP!

In the 70's-80's the Boomers all had kids - churches needed Christian schools, big Sunday Schools and lots of program.

Then the Boomers kids turned to teens and the big craze was in Youth ministries.

Now in 2000? Boomers have money. Boomers have homes and RV's and boats. Boomers have GRANDKIDS and cash/time to travel.

Boomers will put in SOME time in the church, but they will not be as faithful (kids are gone now) or loyal. But they are in their 50's, leaders, givers but the church is aging and they do not see the need for as many program and facilities for little ones.

Just my evaluation.

4. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

The average age of our church membership is in the late 20's. We do have a good number of the over 40's, but we have so many of our young couples coming on and staying. we have about 10-12 young couples and all of them have working husbands and wives that are staying at home and raising their children. The nice thing about it is that this is the fastest growing group in our ministry.

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Good analysis, Dr. Bob, but Boomer numbers don't seem to account for the even more significant shift in demographics at our church. It's like Boomer Squared. [​IMG]

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

Average age, 55-60.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We have a large membership of young marrieds from 20's to mid 30's. Most families have only 2 children.

8. Psalm 126:6

Psalm 126:6 New Member

Interesting this topic came up- my pastor just the other night talked about how our church varies so much with age- there are tons of very young people, many middle aged and baby boomers, and many elderly people as well. It's a terrific mix of people God has brought together.

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been told that the age of the pastor effects the average age of the congregation.

Where I attend, we had a beloved pastor retire after 27 years, a younger man filled his shoes. Since then, (over the past 3 years) the age and makeup of the congregation has shifted.

Rob

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

We have a varied membership. Lots of married couples in their 20s, 30s, and 40s with 2 to 12 children per family. I would say the average is 4-5 children per family.

We also have a lot of babies, teens, younger children and Senior Saints.

We have a nice blend of all ages. We balance each other well. Our church is family oriented, but do not ignore the widows, singles, seniors etc.

Our motto on the bulletin each week: "Our goal is for you to feel warm, welcomed and wanted. Please let us know if we can serve you in any way!"

And we MEAN it...

11. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

I've heard the same. An older pastor can be more understanding and empathetic to the needs and issues of senior adults. In this regard, you might have more senior adult membership.