1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Backlash against homosexual issues continues to grow

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by bb_baptist, Aug 15, 2003.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--Most Americans disagree with the Episcopal Church's decision to allow the blessing of same-sex unions, according to a new Washington Post poll that also shows a continuing backlash on the homosexual issue.

The poll of 1,003 Americans found that 60 percent of Americans disagree with the Episcopal Church's decision giving its local bishops the option of blessing same-sex relationships. The decision was made at the denomination's general convention in early August.

http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=16488

2. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Hello Webmaster #13 (this is my first posting ever in this forum).

I'm not sure if polls mean anything anymore.

I have been increasingly disturbed by disbelief in the Bible by "professing Christians." A good (general) example is the Episcopalian church. I have tried to tell a group of Episcopalians what the Bible says about it (Leviticus and Romans) and I was astonished at the extent of Episcopalians say to me: the Bible is not relevant (or) it doesn't mean what it says!!! To that, I said "What part of the Bible may be kept? What part of the Bible may be rejected? And by what standards?" I have yet to hear back from any of them on that question. How can they can "keep" what they claim to know about Jesus and "reject" what they don't like?!! No wonder why people perish for lack of a vision. Man oh man.

Like most of you, I don't like the current tidewave to legalize same-sex marriage in this country - it will probably happen. We can pray all we want against it but the End of The World has to arrive sometime! Jesus warned that the last days would be a reflection of the days of Noah.

Look up, for your redemption draweth nigh.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

HI Tea Time. You said:
    I've seen a number of articles that state that the Texas Sodomy ruling has enraged Christians and that the ruling actually has backfired on the pro-gay lobby! I think the numbers are even higher than 60% in the general populace but so many people are afraid to speak out!

Diane

4. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Hi Diane - thank you for your thought:

"I've seen a number of articles that state that the Texas Sodomy ruling has enraged Christians and that the ruling actually has backfired on the pro-gay lobby! I think the numbers are even higher than 60% in the general populace but so many people are afraid to speak out".

I think you are trying to tell me that my fears of seeing legalization of same-sex marrage may not be realized. Too bad more people won't speak out.

I just got off an Episcopalian message board and the doctrinal confusion in there is astounding (but not surprising). They are in the back seat of a car without a driver! :eek:

5. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Despite the encouragement we "hear", personally I think same-sex marriages will eventually be legalized. How soon? Don't know. But I think it will happen.

TeaTime, there is an article in my local paper today about the current confusion in the Episcopal church. Here's the link if you're interested:

How will Episcopal church weather controversy?

6. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Dear Computerjunkie - thank you for the suggestion. I read that Texas article about the Episcopal church. I was pleased to see that the reputation of Baptists preceded the author - that he was not surprised to hear that Baptists did not approve of the vote.

According to that same article, Evangelical Lutherans are now in the fourth year of "discussing" what to do with homosexuality. For goodness sakes, they can get the answer in four minutes by reading and believing Leviticus and Romans.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think more likely some kind of union will be formalized which will give legal standing as in marriage(for Social Security benefits, wills, etc.), but it won't be called a marriage as States legally use that particular term.

I think marriage will continue to be classified as being between a man and a woman. [​IMG]

8. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Oh, I get it...it will BE the same thing but we'll CALL it something else! How clever! [​IMG]

9. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I think more likely some kind of union will be formalized...
    I think marriage will continue to be classified as being between a man and a woman.
    </font>[/QUOTE]It will start out as a civil union but, not for long. The courts will rule that seperate is inherently unequal and will finish tearing down any barriers.

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

If homosexual 'unions' are recognized, they'd better recognize 'ununions' because the average homosexual 'committed' relationship lasts 1.5 years and the average homosexual man has 8 partners a year. I saw that off a report on homosexual health concerns just yesterday.

Diane

11. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Civil unions will never be acceptable for either side. It is just a compromise to get us to back up and give them room for a more concerted effort toward the real goal of complete equivalence

What's sad is that a lot of evil people will continue to reject marriage and religion altogether b/c of some people's calling evil good.

Isa 50:7 For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.

Exek 3:8 Behold, I have made thy face strong against their faces, and thy forehead strong against their foreheads. 9 As an adamant harder than flint have I made thy forehead: fear them not, neither be dismayed at their looks, though they be a rebellious house.

Not only my heart but my face and forehead will NEVER waver.

12. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Call it "civil union," call it "legalized same-sex," call it "same-sex marriage," call it "same-sex blessings," NEVER! Never should we be lulled into any kind of language whereby male/male or female/female togetherness may go on. Never.

You know, when Jesus said "And as it was in the days of Noe...they married wives, they were given in marriage..." (Matthew 17:26-27) something came to mind. When He said 'they were given in marriage' I wonder if that was a reference to homosexual marriage, given the sinfully evil climate of pre-flood.

Look at the context of His quote...why make 'they married wives' separate from 'they were given in marriage.' Thoughts please! [​IMG]

13. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

One thing that is driving this issue that we need to defuse is the need for health insurance. People coupled in a homosexual way want to be able to get health insurance for their partners and sometimes can't because they can't marry.

I say we defuse this need by getting nationwide health insurance for everybody anyway and that will take that part of the issue off the table.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 17
    26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.
    27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
    28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
    29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
    30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

In light of the Luke 17:29-30 passage, it's possible

HankD

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

If the righteous scarcely are saved, where will the unjust and unrighteous stand before the day of the Lord??

Brother David

16. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

As bad as they were I don't think this phrase is addressing homosexuality specifically. It is to be taken like this, "They (the men) married wives", and "They (the women) were given in marriage". It is a statement showing life was going on as it had been even with Noah warning them but, they just kept doing what they had been doing as though they had all the time in the world.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't disagree with you regarding the topic, but I always am concerned when I see the use phrases in quotes. It implies that it is your belief that those who are professing Christians aren't really Christians. It implies that those who hold an interpretation of the Bible different than the poster aren't really Christians. That line of thinking is devisive and judgemental, and we as professing Christians are forbidden from making such judgements.

However, I don't think this was your intention in your post. However, some may get the idea that it was.

18. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Hello John V - you responded to my thought that those who claim to be Christian do not believe in the Bible. I think the current controversy within the Episcopal church is a good example. It seems that most of the members do not care to hear what Leviticus and Romans has to say about homosexuality. In talking with some Episcopalians in their own forum, I find a lot of the members think "the Bible doesn't mean what it says" or "the Bible was written by men only" or "it just a collection of stories." This is what is bothering me.

I am sorry if this appears to be judgmentalism (not trying to be smart-alecky here). I don't think Christians should allow error to proceed unchecked and unchallenged.

And am I wrong in frowning upon active-unrepentant homosexuals who claim to be Christian but refuse to change? I have found that to be a prevalent attitude within a church (not Baptist).

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are also warned to beware of certain classes of people and separate from them.
    This requires a “judgment”… and, if obeyed, will give a judgmental appearance.

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

1 Corinthians 5:11
    But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
    12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

There is also scriptural support to bring into question the salvation of one who is in the practice of a sinful lifestyle…

1 John 3 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

John 8: 34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

This discernment must be made and separation from the individual who is practicing sin is required even if the individual claims to be a “brother” to protect the flock from the contamination of sin.

1 Corinthians 5
    6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
    7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: