1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Balanced Economic Model?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Andy T., Feb 17, 2009.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I didn't say war was cheap. I pointed out the comparison. Please read more closely.

The marketplace? I agree.

You can't legitimately say that the rich can buy every reasonable desire (as you did), because you don't get to define reasonable. They do, and the market for their desires.

What's reasonable to me is not necessarily reasonable to someone else. I don't even have a standard cell phone because I think $40/month for a cell phone is unreasonable.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree... I have a young member who lives at home and drives a Jag... Her Dad (a deacon) says she can afford it. She drove my daughter home from youth meeting the other day and came in to ask me for gas money. I live less than a mile from the Church...

Reasonable is a moving target in this day and age...

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Why the sudden aversion to personal responsibility?

I ask you again:

LeBuick:

How much of a millionaire's money do you have a right to? Put a figure out there.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You said "However, if a person making $750K is practically living within their means then they will have no problem buying any reasonable wish and won't need a tax cut to do it."

The point is that you don't get to determine what a reasonable wish is. You are way too judgmental.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

And I also (this will answer your question too RBell) don't set the tax rates. Judgmental is all we can be since some feel tax rates are too high while others think we should raise them. This doesn't make either more right and each are entitled to their feelings...

So the government set's the tax rates just as they are now saying your mortgage payment should be about 31% of your monthly income. Reasonable also says that if I can't buy gas because my car payment is too high, I didn't buy a car reasonable to my means.

I had a girlfriend once who only drank don perignon at $100/btl back then. I never said anything because she bought it with her money. To her it must have been reasonable. She asked me why I never bought her drinks, I told her if she wanted cold duck I would buy but if she wants don perignon then she's on her own. $100/bottle wasn't reasonable to me but it was to her...