1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ban on Walking and Talking

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Deacon, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

The proposed ban is only in pedestrian congested areas with the offense being like for jaywalking. I suspect it is to make it easier and somewhat automatic to putting some of the responsibility for pedestrian-car accidents on the negligence of the pedestrian rather than solely on the driver.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the consequences of walking in front of a moving car far outweigh any penalty that might be arbitrarily imposed by lawmakers.
    The proposed law is inane.

Rob

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

A surprisingly large number of pedistrian/auto accidents involve pedestrians who were ignoring traffic signals/laws.

However, there's a limit to the things a law can do to make us safer. At some point, the increment of safety isn't worth the restriction on freedom.

You can make it foolproof, but you can't make it *$*& foolproof. I'd be in favor of a law using "failure to exercise due care" to take care of the idiots who use ipods and don't watch.

I think it's possible that one can use an ipod and be safe as a pedestrian. What's wrong with just holding people responsible for acting safely? Penalize the idiots without imposing on the rest of us.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

because of socialized medicine

Many restrictive laws have come about because of the trend toward socialized medicine. For example, seatbelt and helmet laws. If the govt is to indemnify injuries then the govt is obligated to limit its exposure.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

No, it depends on how fast the car is moving. Some drivers idle forward during the red lights; most go very, very slowly making a turn where the pesdestrians have the right of way (the trick, for the driver, is to avoid coming to a complete stop - ususally as you inch forward the pedestrians will swarm around your car). I got a big bruise from a driver who hit me on purpose (he was looking straight at me and sped off afterwards).

Manhattan traffic is different than most. Thirty miles an hour is way too fast there. Most residents there don't drive so they don't realize how easily - a moment's inattention - they can be killed. Pedestrians rule very aggressively there - they often attack cars with umbrellas and briefcases to enforce their right of way. :eek:

Probably, but you should understand the situation before judging.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    NEW YORK -- A state senator from Brooklyn said on Tuesday he plans to introduce legislation that would ban people from using an MP3 player, cell phone, Blackberry or any other electronic device while crossing the street in New York City and Buffalo
    First I think it is an excellent law. True, it is the responsibility of the pedestrian to look while he crosses the street, but if he doesn't, and he gets hit, the driver will be involved involuntary.

However, why just NY City and Buffalo? It should be statewide. If the senator wants it just for NYC, then he should ask his city councilman to propose such an ordinance.

Currently, there are too many laws that do not pertain to NYC

Salty

PS, did I mention I am a driving instructor

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I thought NYC had more driving restrictions, not fewer. Could you point out a few?

I already know about no turn on red and not starting through an intersection if you can't make it all the way. Oh, and on streets with a median divide, drivers don't have to stop for school buses stopped in the opposite direction.