1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism of the Holy Ghost

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Nov 17, 2004.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Acts 8:14-17 says
    Now growing up in a traditional Baptist environment we were taught that the Holy Ghost indwells the believer at the time of Salvation. We were not taught, and I don't think many Baptists are, that there was a separate 'second blessing' or baptism of the Holy Ghost.

I do understand that being filled with the spirit and being yielded to the spirit are two different things, but that does not seem to be what this passage is talking about. These Samaritans were saved, but they had not yet received the Holy Ghost. How is that possible?

2. MTA

MTA New Member

I agree that it had nothing to do with their salvation, since the Spirit had indwelled them the moment they were converted. Rather, it is generally held that what is meant by receiving the Holy Spirit in this and similar New Testament instances are the extraordinary gifts that often accompanied salvation as evidence of it. This was a proof of the legitimacy of the early church, ie. speaking in tongues (other languages), working miracles, etc.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

As I see it, the Comforter had to come to the disciples and the church first, and this did not seem to happen from the moment that Jesus ascended into heaven, It would appear that the Comforter came at a later point.

4. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

NCT,
    1)Exactly where does it say that these were "saved" people? (were they disciples of John the Baptist?)
    2) If the word "Baptism" means to be immersed what were these people immersed into and who did the dunking?
    Thanks ------Bart