1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism +

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand the question

2. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Some Baptist churches require another baptism of one baptized of another denomination, cult, or whatever, for the one to join their church was improperly baptized, according to Baptist beliefs of dunking, infant baptism, and/or wording.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Because most Baptist churches would never accept the baptism of any church that belongs to a cult and some not even from a church that holds serious doctrinal error such as those that are Charismatic. Perhaps to many that is not a problem as long as the individual is saved prior to baptism and understands what baptism means. But the baptism by a cult member is the same as being baptized by an unsaved person and thus is no baptism at all.

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

It is not only a case of some baptist churches requiring it. In common with probably the majority of babies of my generation in the UK, I was christened as a baby in the Church of England. It was 19 or 20 years later that I was converted. I then came to see, from the bible, that baptism is something to be undertaken by believers, not something to be done to little babies. I requested baptism; it wasn't a case of my church requiring it.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Infant Baptism can hardly be considered believer's baptism.

But I don't think you should re-baptize someone who was baptized using the trinary formula as a believer.

in Christ,

Bob

6. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Can a Christian an associate, and worship with anyone if that person believes on our Lord Jesus Christ? If they are baptized according to the great Commission as shown in scripture, are they not still Christ's? Are they still not Christians if they do not baptize as says the great Commission? I personally will not condemn anyone that is saved, and has never been baptized.

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

By what authority, or scripture does the Church of England baptize babies?

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

There is no 'saved' who had to be baptised to be saved; All 'saved' are saved without having been baptised, and before having been baptised OR NOT.

The 'great commission' was not yours or mine or anyone else's but the Apostles'! Water-baptism was given and commanded the Apostles as was the 'great commission'. The prerogative of baptism with the Baptism of Christ, Jesus reserved for Himself ONLY!

CORRECTION!!! Water-baptism was NEVER given OR commanded the Apostles. They were commanded to baptise "in the NAME" --- NOT 'in water', nowhere, nohow!

#28 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
  9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Why wouldn't a Baptist require one, baptized under authority of a cult, to be Scripturally baptized? Their cultuic baptism is not identifying said person with the true Christ, nor with the true Gospel.

I've had persons join my church, who were baptized by coC, who made request to be baptized in our church, denying and recanting their affiliation with a works based Gospel. These same are the most fruitful people I have ever met in church.

Some Baptists will receive no other Baptisms administered by any other denomination, even though said candidate for membership has a great and solid understading as to why they were baptized.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 6:3-4
    Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, why not?
    Baptism does not affect one's salvation.
    Again, what does baptism have to do with salvation? I don't understand your question here. There are Christians I won't fellowship with because they live in a state of disobedience. But that is another matter. That has nothing to do with baptism, per se.
    Neither do I, so where does all this come from.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Nor does one's salvation affect baptism --- water-baptism.

13. ituttut

ituttut New Member

What you say does apply today. But God at the time of Pentecost, and some time after did require His People to do a work with their hands. Those at THAT time did not have eternal security, as do we today. God's purpose for this specific cause had not yet come about.

Peter, James, John, and those others had been "water baptized" before Pentecost. Afterwards the men of Israel not before baptized, or believed, asked what they should do. They wanted the power of the HOLY GHOST. And if they did what Peter tells them in Acts 2:38, and that is to "repent and be baptized for the remission of sins", then would acquire the Spirit.These people, in that time period did not receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as we today.

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Can a man un-baptize one while baptizing that one again. Was that person unsaved, and now saved, or just changed churches? What did the person expect to gain in his thinking of baptism, if it is not necessary to salvation?

15. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Are you saying that Baptism is after all demanded in order to be saved?

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

This 'baptism' can only be an act in faith by faith of faith. There is NO WAY this 'baptism' can be done by a human being, physically or 'literally'; There consequently is NO WAY this 'baptism' can be undergone by a human being physically of literally IN OR WITH OR BY OR THROUGH _WATER_!

And after all, this 'baptism' Paul refers to here, IS CHRIST'S BAPTISM HE only underwent and which he bestows on others than himself through the operation and power of the Holy Spirit by FAITH ONLY . It is spiritual or it 'is', not at all in believers, as in Christ Jesus ONLY it was BOTH spiritual and physical.

One Word stands fast, all the controversy about baptism despite: "ONE Lord, ONE baptism— the baptism whereby "there is: ONE Faith". The baptism that PRECEDES Faith. There's no such thing in Christian Faith as a 'baptism' that 'has got nothing to do with salvation'. There's no such thing in Christian Faith as a 'baptism' that FOLLOWS faith except the baptism through suffering with in the suffering of Christ. The Christian Baptism is the ONE ALL believers shares “IN CHRIST”, “TOGETHER WITH HIM”.

#36 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
  17. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Yes we are baptized into His death, and this baptism is done without the hand of man. "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
    10. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
    11. In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
    12. Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead."

18. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Even if a cult?
    True since water baptism of the great Commission is not for our time.
    I agree, for today water baptism is not necessary, and should not keep one from becoming a member of a Ch ristian church.
    Just making the point baptism should not be a factor if one in Christ Jesus wants to join a church, and the church refuses unless they are re-baptized.

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

NOT also to the first time one (wants to) join a church however!

This is an enigma for me, that DHK argues water-baptism is necessary and commanded even, but denies the Spiritual Body of Christ's Own that is that 'Universal Church' of all times and nations and lands confessed in the oldest of Christian Confessions.

#39 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
  20. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Then water baptism is required to join a church down here, but not up there? To me this means one in The Body of Christ cannot become a member of a church down here. This is not biblical at all.
    From what I can make here, I too disagree with what you say. I find in scripture we are in the Bridegroom. There are others.