1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Bible College (Springfield, Mo.) has changed its name

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jerome, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The shrunken Fundamentalist school is rebranding itself as 'Mission University':

January 25, 2024 • Baptist Bible College changes name to Mission University

"The new name has been "quietly in place since Jan. 2", but was "made public" on Thursday.

New signage "will likely cost $100,000 or more".

According to the school's president Mark Milioni, "the original name of the college could be off-putting...to certain families". "This is really opening the door for a lot of people to find their way to us".

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are these families that find the terms "Baptist" or/or "Bible" oh so off-putting?!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, their student body is decreasing, and they decide to change the school's name and spend 100,000 on signage instead of finding out why. And then they decide they are a university instead of just a college? Apparently the examples in recent fundamentalist history of this road leading to nowhere doesn't phase them.

Tennessee Temple was forced to close its doors years ago after turning SBC. Unfortunately, they failed to stop and think that when they did that, their old, out of date, poorly conceived campus could not compete with the SBC schools. And, oh yeah, they complete forgot what the alumni (me included) might think.

Northland's leadership decided to seek partnership with new evangelical organizations, allow CCM, etc., without consulting the alumni (many friends of mine).

Pillsbury compromised and disappointed their alumni. They closed their doors.

Other examples could be given. Oh, did I point out that all of these schools pretty much ignored their alumni? And by the way, BJU is rapidly shrinking because--wait for it--they are ignoring their alumni and lowering standards.

#3 John of Japan, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TheOldJudge

TheOldJudge Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely, Sir. I concur with every word of your post.

Maranatha seems to have made the transition in name well enough...but only because they have hewn very closely to what would not upset their alumni to the point of desertion.

Milioni is shrewd, I must admit. Completely unmooring the college from its fundamentalist heritage and opening it to partner with ecumenicalism will cause it to continue to grow numerically in the vein of Summit University or (to a much smaller degree) Cedarville and Liberty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boooooo!