1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist in a strange land (well, church)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by OrovilleTim, Feb 26, 2007.

1. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

Well, I didn't think this quite fit in the other denominations, as it's not really to debate differences, but just a friendly little discussion on experiences.

But anyway, how many of you other Baptists have spent time in other churches. As a younger kid, I spent some time in a VERY pentecostal church (women rolling around on the stage at foot of performers, shreiking, etc... it's the only church bus that would come get us though), and even some time was spent at a quaker church as a kid. Not to mention, my time with the Mormons.

Anyway, here is the deal... I wanted to use my guitar talents in worship. Unfortunately, they didn't quite fit at my SBC church, which I had been trying to move out of a while anyway as we moved from that town several years ago and wanted something closer. So, I get invited to my friends church, as she knows I play the guitar and want to do so in worship. So, I'll spare all the details of that adventure at this time, but in a nutshell, it looks like I'll be sticking around at this church for a while to at least help grow a music ministry. The church is an AoG church.

I did tell my family that I wasn't totally in agreeance of some of their doctrines and practices. So far though after three sermons, I've not heard anything that is conflicting with what I beleive, and the preaching is actually spot on.

I've been able to select and play classic hymns, and have free reign at choosing some more modern stuff also. All seems to be going well and I figure I get my chance to worship, become more skillful, and if the chance to play at a Baptist church arises after this one is established, I'm there. I just feel very comfortable supporting the SBC and it's programs and missions, and given the choice prefer that structure.

But, there was one Sunday, where a visitor started on some mekka-mekka-hi-mekka-hiney-ho stuff, but it was limited to her. Then when the service was ended, and she didn't get to showcase her tongues (translation: nobody paid attention to her) she said "I need to go to my church so I can let it all out." But then she went into the womens room and started doing the stuff at the top of her lungs, came out and said she felt better, then went outside and smoked a cigarette. Ummm... ok.

This was very interesting for my Baptist-born-and-bred kiddos, to say the least. To me, I don't buy into it due to my time with the pentecostals as a kid (one of whom admitted to fake it, and is now the pastor of the same church we attended as kids), and rank it right up there with the Mormon "burning in the bosom". As mentioned though, she is not a regular or member. She came to watch her daughter play piano once.

Anyway, are any of you in foreign territory because of whatever situations? Do you feel like you'd rather be back in a more familiar realm, or does it suit you fine? Like I said, nothing related to this church has really struck me wrong, although there have been a couple "baptist" comments, but I just am familiar with the SBC and given the choice, prefer to support that body.

2. Karen

Karen Active Member

As you said, it was very interesting to your kids.
    I would urge you to evaluate what church to attend less along the lines of your musical preference and more along the lines of what your kids will learn.

Your kids will not see it through your experiences and filters. They will pick up things that will just bounce off you.

I would look more carefully at the statement of faith and talk with the pastor about what is taught.

3. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Tim,

My situation is very similar to yours, except the "strange land" I'm in is a Baptist church.

I answered an add looking for a drummer for a praise band and have ended up going to a Baptist church now.

Most of my life I've gone to either a church of Christ or Independent Christian Church. Needless to say, there are some differences and it has been, and is, an interesting experience. I look on it as a chance to learn a little different perspective theologically, and occasionally offer something from a different perspective.

I'm also learning quite a bit from the BB too.

Les

4. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

Update!

I've been away from that church for a while. Decided my desire to worship with music didn't outweigh the oddities and issues I was finding in the struggling church. It didn't help that the pastor kept making anti-Baptist comments either (he must have felt he "got" me, as he also started nixing my hymns, and replacing them with more "choruses".)

Breaking from our old "out of town" church we had left our membership with and attended irregulary worked for the best though. We are now members of a new church, that has sound doctrine, is very missions driven, and has many opportunities to serve. After our decision to transfer membership, I discovered I may get a chance to play guitar (and hymns at that!)

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I've discovered that the differences from one Baptist church to another can be greater than the difference between a Baptist church and many other denominations. They run the gamut, and in some instances, the only common denominator is that they all think that baptism means baptism.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dont bet on that. Several Baptists will will allow you to join even if you were only sprinkled. And I undersand some baptists will even sprinkle you as well:tear:

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

If I had thought about it, I have seen some that would accept you if you had been sprinkled. But, I have never encountered any that will sprinkle you.

With all these differences, what's our common denominator for Baptist fellowship?

Is it perhaps, that these 2 assemblies believe in baptism, these other two believe in the security of spiritual salvation, and one of each group believes in both, so all four have a common denominator?

For example, there are many here who don't believe in Kingdom truths, and even go so far as to call them heretical. However, it used to be common teaching in the Baptist church 30 years ago. What common denominator do I have with a Baptist church that sprinkles, or even one that teaches that all saved people are treated just the same and it doesn't matter how we behave ourselves because saved people aren't given any warnings?

Also, AoG is the fastest growing denomination in the world. It's exciting! I've had visitors to our church leave because we weren't hootin' and hollerin' and dancin'... We obviously weren't "spirit filled".

#7 Hope of Glory, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  8. amity

amity New Member

I like a little trip to a strange land now and again, and I get one by going to Sacred Harp singings now and again. The most represented group numerically is my own church (Primitive Baptist) and the order of services is very much like that in a Primitive Baptist church, but there are all sorts of faiths represented and I appreciate that very much. I like hobnobbing with people of other faiths in a spritually "tolerant" interdenominational atmosphere.

Meanwhile I wouldn't care to see things change in my church one iota. We are very much still like baptists of 200 years ago.

#8 amity, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007